“Poor customer service. Unwilling to fix problems.”

Vail Mountain Lodge
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Vail
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Poor customer service. Unwilling to fix problems.”
Reviewed 24 June 2010

Stayed here in June 2010 for a week-long trip. The restaurant and gym were nice, but the customer service of the front desk and hotel management was very poor. Do not believe their website when it advertises "complimentary hi-speed Internet.". I had plans to put in a few hours of work each day, answering emails, etc. But the wireless wouldn't work in my room. When I inquired about this at the front desk, I was told that it only works on the first, second and fourth floors (I was on the third). I asked why and the clerk only responded that "it's free and I shouldn't complain." I have never once in my life complained to a hotel or restaurant or hotel about service -- I have a go along and get along personality - and yet I was treated with impoliteness and hostility. I asked for a different room but was told none were available. I asked for a credit so I could purchase a week's worth of Vail's wireless service but was told that the hotel's wireless was free and they wouldn't offer a credit. (note that this would have cost the hotel a sum total of $29.95). I asked them to change their website so it wasn't misleading to which they responded, "we don't control the website." I have encountered some rude people in my time travelling but never as blatantly rude and completely unwilling to be helpful. I will never stay there again and will steer anyone clear of this place who is traveling to Vail.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SeeTheSights2007
vailmtnlodge, Manager at Vail Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 29 June 2010
I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered with the hotels complimentary high-speed wireless Internet during your stay with us. Yes the hotel does offer wireless/wired Internet throughout the building including the third floor. Unfortunately when you alerted the Front Desk about your connection problems the service to the third floor was experiencing problems. Our staff should have informed you of this and stated that a service call was already made. Also they should have made you aware that the “wired” service was fine. We had the wireless service back up and running by the afternoon the same day you spoke to the Front Desk. We placed a call to your room and left you a voicemail message letting you know the service was running again and checking if you had any other issues. In the event we were unable to get the wireless service back up we would have made every effort to move your room or reimburse you for any charges you incurred purchasing other wireless service. Please know that we will use this situation in training our staff and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Adam Considine Lodging General Manager Vail Mountain Lodge & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Wasn't looking for anything special, just a place to stay. It was fairly priced considering it's location right in Vail Village and we stayed there on a weekend night. Smaller hotel feel, but our room was great. Beds were very comfortable, which is what matters most after a long day of skiing. I loved not dealing with crowds of people and we had one of the hot tubs outside to ourselves which was great. This is a great hotel if you want a quiet stay or for couples. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank tew21
New York
Reviewed 12 November 2009

We have a daughter who lives in Vail so we try and visit a couple of times a year. For anyone watching pennies, going to a ski resort right before the mountain opens is marvelous. Our room rates were great, continental breakfast included, delivered to the room, attached restaurant Terra Bistro, one of the best in Vail, had nightly half-off drinks and happy hour hors d'ouevres and some specially priced entrees. Our room was large and clean, heated bathroom floors. As with most hotels in Vail, the noise off I-70 can be an issue, but VML has a large parking garage muffling a good deal of the noise. There are rooms that face the mountain, not the road, but are at a premium and not offered to us at the special rate. We didn't mind, nor notice, the noise as we weren't in the room much. We especially loved the location of VML, steps away from everything. We've heard great things about the Spa but did not try it this trip. We would go here again, without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chappy4me
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 January 2009

Just got back from a 4 night stay in Vail at the Mountain Lodge & Spa. This is a nice little lodge with 20 or so rooms where after your first day, almost everyone in the building knows you.

We checked into the Lodge after a morning of skiing, and had to wait a little (30 min) for a room to be cleaned. The bellman (seems like everyone played this roll at some point during our stay) grabbed our bags, valet the car and we were shown to our room which was on the 2nd floor, room 25, overlooking some trees (not on the mountain side). The room was nice with 2 queen beds, a fireplace, armoire with cable television, heated bathroom floor, nice cubby hole for all your ski equipment and clothing, mini fridge, ipod stereo, pretty much everything you could need and more when staying in Vail. The room was clean, the view was very minimal as it overlooked the front entrance of the building but there was many trees obstructing the view...not a big deal, the real view is up the slopes at 12,000 feet!

Now the rest of the hotel...
Terra Bistro is located on the 1st floor of the property which is a nice upscale restaurant with a small bar/lounge area. Great happy hour specials with Apres Ski specials from 430-530 daily with dozens of drinks on special and about 8 appetizers at a good price (4-7 per appetizer). We hit this up daily and got a late afternoon snack and some warm-me-up cocktails. I recommend the Crab Cake, which was served in a martini glass with a nice leaf/almond mixture. I also recommend the Ahi Tartare, this is great, good portion, may need to ask for extra wonton chips though.

The Vail Athletic Club is something to seriously consider when making a decision to stay here. This is a state of the art facility with plenty of running, elliptical machines, free weights, weight machines and a 20 some foot rock wall .All of this overlooking the slopes out a gigantic window. From there there is a nice clean locker room with suana, steam room, two indoor jacuzzis, two outdoor jacuzzis also looking out over the slopes. There is also a spa included, but did not have time to check out any of the procedures, although a massage would have been good.

As far as location goes, its pretty well in the smack of everything. Only a 5 minute walk to the slopes, and less than that to Vail Village, as it is right next to the clock tower. Close access to Vista Bahn ski lift. Vail village being a few steps away, allows for easy access to and from dining and nightlife.

Only negative I would say about this, which isn't even really a negative considering it being Vail is the parking. We had used valet, and it was 35.00 a day. Which was a steal compared to parking yourself, which was 25.00 max a day, but you had to pay every time you drove in-out. So you could essentially pay more than the valet, plus you dont have to walk anywhere to get your car.

• Liked — Location, Friendly Staff, Free Gourmet Breakfast
  • Disliked — Valet being so expensive
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank hustedms
The Woodlands, TX
Reviewed 17 September 2008

Stayed at the Vail Mountain Lodge for my annual conference held in early September. In the past I've stayed at the Sonnenalp but decided to give VML a try since they were almost half the price. I was very pleased with the room and location. I was especially impressed with the complimentary breakfast which was excellent as well as the workout facilities. The Vail athletic club was a full service gym and had more than enough equipment to keep me busy. I wished they stayed open a little later at night (closed at 9:00pm) because my meetings went late but at least they opened at 6:00am. Jimmy the Guest Services manager, was so helpful, friendly, and fun. I definitely preferred the more relaxed atmosphere at VML compared to the Sonnenalp's. They were also very gracious when I had to leave a day early to beat Hurricane Ike to Houston and did not charge any cancellation penalties. I will definitely be staying there again next year and look forward to the amazing breakfast. Hopefully I'll be able to schedule some rock climbing at the Vail. Athletic club.

• Liked — Complementary Breakfast and access to Vail Athletic Club
  • Disliked — Air conditioner was noisy
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Texas_Gypsie
Potomac, MD
Reviewed 12 September 2008

We stayed at the Vail Mountain Lodge and Spa for a wedding. Rooms were wonderful. Gym is open to membership and is free to hotel guests. This is a REAL gym. Most classes are free and instructors were professional and caring. Locker rooms have just been renovated and are top notch.

We stayed on the valley side and could not hear or see any traffic. Our room and bathroom were terrific. The front desk staff (esp. Jimmy) was great. They have a SUV and will take you places.

Breakfast in included in the room. Terra offers organic foods. You could choose from the menu or pick 4. Oatmeal is yummy. The only negative - we stayed 3 nights and I wish it was longer!

• Liked — Small, clean, recently renovated, the gym
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marleneGPotomac_MD
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 17 August 2008

I read about Vail Mountain Lodge & Spa in Frommers so I was expecting great things. This is probably a wonderful place to stay during ski season but even room fans can't cool down a room without air conditioning during the summer. The mountain side rooms were booked so I opted to try for a valley side room, being told that I wouldn't see I70. Leafy trees did obscure the view of the interstate but because there is no airconditioning and the room was hot, the windows had to be left open. This meant noise from the construction vehicles coming through Vail Village and all the traffic noise from I70, especially at night. My guess is that rooms on the mountain side, right next to Gore Creek, would be quieter and would have balconies and better air circulation during the summer.

This was also one of the more expensive options that I had looked at so I was expecting a much better experience.

Breakfast was excellent but couldn't really offset the noise.

If I hadn't prepaid for the visit, I would have probably checked out early and found someplace else to stay.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Lack of air conditioning, interstate noise
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple