“Relaxing stay”

State Forest State Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Walden
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed in the Bochman campground which is more secluded than the others in a travel trailer. Although the campground does not have any shade due to the pine beetle problem in Northern Colorado, there are scenic views of the mountains which makes for a picturesque place to stay. We loved our site #316. Plenty of fishing, hiking, atvng, to do in the area. Loved our hike up to Lake Agnes. There are no shower facilities and contrary to what I had read on another post, the KOA nearby will only allow those staying at KOA to use their shower facilities. So keep this in mind. Would love to go back someday.

1  Thank Lori M

Reviewed 8 August 2014

If you truly like to get away from it all (like I do) Colorado State Park is wonderful. I have been here a handful of times over the past 2 years and am never disappointed. Campsites expire at noon so it's best to arrive before to pick out your spot. Wonderful dispersed sites with no indulgences that put you smack in the middle of a nature wonderland. During my last visit I saw my first bear while coming back from fishing, arrived at my campsite to find a giant bull moose and several deer surrounding my tent. Bathrooms are generally well kept. Just remember to stock up on anything you may need before arriving as the nearby towns do not offer much in the way of supplies. Beautiful scenery all around! Great hikes and ATV trails. I would avoid the Ruby Lake destination. Hike is gorgeous but is merely a pond you stumble on after a very steep, highly elevated hike.

1  Thank trailerparkgrrl
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very pretty place to visit, but bring a lot of bug spray for mosquitos, and especially Deer Flies!
It is fun to visit, but the bears are very , very, well acquainted there with the campers!
I do NOT LIKE BLACK BEARS in or around our camp, or tent!
The best is to stay in a cabin in that area, or a metal camper, but you still have to watch where there is any food for them to smell, and DO NOT BROIL ANY STEAKS ON GRILL OR CAMP STOVE, or you will have many visitors at night!!! They also go crazy for bacon smell!!
When we go there we only eat in town, and never bring any food into our campsite.
That way we play it safe, and they can go over to the other campers, and avoid us!
Sorry, but I am honest. I always feared having to run from tent, or anywhere with my granddaughter when she was young.
O would recommend adults, and older children to this area, as this is known for BEARS !

5  Thank Runa T
Reviewed 14 July 2014

State Forest (as it's called) is a step up from the other ones. It's large to start with... and lots to do. Moose sighting is common. I saw three (3) before 8:00 in the morning as wasn't looking. I will upload pictures later. It's adjacent to Rocky Mountain Nat. Park, which also has a lot of moose.

Fishing is great also.. even if unknown for it. Trout is easy to catch and plenty of places to fish from the bank. Locals go here often - a good sign.

Many good trails and plenty of campgrounds. They have an excellent Visitor Center (south entrance) and can give you all the details.

Lots to do here, so be prepared to spend a couple of days at least.

4  Thank BAHnOsceola
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Went here to see moose, did not see any moose and spent 4 hours in the park and drove many miles on dusty, bad gravel and dirt roads. If you want to camp, you have no services and everything is out in the open, no shade. Was not impressed, a lot better parks in Colorado.

1  Thank Mike D

Been to State Forest State Park? Share your experiences!