“Really nice” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Westminster
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Really nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Rooms were spacious and well laid out. The free dinners were a nice benefit and offered four days a week. Most days were something worth trying. Access to the hotel was pretty easy and close to lots of shopping.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Concord, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

This review covers 4 stays at this property over the last 4 months: a 2-week stay with my wife and 2 small children in February 2014, and 3 solo stays, in April (1 week), May (2 nights, with Marriott Rewards points), and June (1 week).

After the evening we came back to our room in February to find the door propped open, we really should have checked out the next morning and never looked back. But I was trying to spend maximal time with my dying sister, and really didn’t want the hassle of moving in the middle of that trip. And the property was really convenient to visit my sister and other family members. But enough is enough. On 3 out of my 4 stays, I have been put in sub-standard rooms: twice in rooms in the interior corner (“armpit”) of the building, with only 1 window that faced a brick wall, and twice in smaller than normal king studios (at full price, of course). This last room had both of those “features.”

Every single room I’ve stayed in has had missing pieces of standard Residence Inn cookware; each time, I would ask the front desk for a replacement, and I got a lot of nice talk but no real response. Except this last stay, where, when I asked for the standard medium-size stainless-steel saucepan, I got a whole set of the cheapest, flimsiest non-stick cookware I have ever seen – the kind you’d buy for a kid just setting up their first apartment, if you had absolutely no money, or hated the kid. Completely unsuitable for hospitality use.

Every room has also had multiple maintenance issues – ice maker doesn’t work, garbage disposal doesn’t work right, dishwasher doesn’t dispense soap, outlets don’t work, light over the stove doesn’t work, etc. We reported all of these promptly; only a few were ever fixed. In our first room, there was a broken water glass in the shelf over the stove – we reported this to the front desk the 2nd day of our stay, and it was still there 2 weeks later. On the latest visit, I accidentally dropped a glass on the tile kitchen floor; of course; it shattered all over. I called the front desk to let them know and apologize, and cautioned the housekeeper in the hallway on my way out the door. When I returned to my room in the evening, there were still many visible glass shards (>1 cm diameter) on the tile and the adjoining carpet. Thank goodness my 1- and 3-year olds weren’t with me on this visit! I had to go to the front desk to get a vacuum to vacuum the room myself.

When we were here with our 1- and 3-year old, I had to go down to the front desk every single night to request more washcloths and hand towels, and sometimes kitchen linens (the housekeeper would remove the barely-used ones and not replace them). On my 3 solo stays, I have been drowning in towels. Now I know why the families don't have enough - they're all in the rooms of solo travelers who don't need them!

One other thing I found really disturbing: On our family visit in February, we had a nodding acquaintance with another family with 3 young kids, including a baby. Part way through that stay, the hotel forced them to move from a 2-bedroom suite to a 1-bedroom or studio (same size, so couldn't tell from the floor map). This made me really nervous the 2 times I was put into an "accessible" (but not really) room - would I be moved out if they had someone register who needed the "accessible" features?

The breakfast buffet has all the usual Residence Inn stuff, but the staff really struggles to keep the hot foods stocked; I’ve often had to wait 5+ minutes, and once gave up and went back to my room and made breakfast myself. I’ve never been to the evening reception here. The laundry room is nice enough, with decent machines. I did not use the indoor pool, spa, or exercise room on any of my visits. If you're traveling with kids, there is a very nice park/playground a few blocks away, on 92nd & Yates. But seriously, don't stay here in the first place.

Overall, the property is reasonably well-maintained, and the staff always acts like they want to be helpful, which is why they got any dots at all. But they absolutely cannot operate a hotel, at least not up to Marriott standards. The same franchisee owns the Hampton Inn next door; I wouldn’t stay there, either, after my experience with this Residence Inn.

Room Tip: Absolutely do not accept 106, 206, 306, or 406; these rooms are in the interior corner (“armpit”) of...
Green Features: Zero. No recycling bins anywhere. A card in the room says to hang up your towels to re-use, which I always did, and all but ONE day, all the towels were replaced. Most days, the barely-used bar of hand soap on the vanity was replaced by a new bar. Take-out plates in the breakfast room are styrofoam.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TMIHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn Denver North/Westminster, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear AlixMB,
Thank you for your review of the Residence Inn Denver North Westminster. Please accept my apologies for the less than exceptional experience you had at our hotel. It is our goal to impress our guests and it is obvious that we came up short during your visits. I am truly sorry and saddened that this is the impression you have of our hotel. I will be addressing all of your concerns with my staff to ensure that they are taken care of. Thank you for allowing us to improve our services and property for future guests.

Ryan M.
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I spent an entire week at The residence Inn hotel for a business trip , and did not expect to receive such a great and comfortable room (studio Suite) . The Staff at the front desk were very helpful and friendly. The internet access was free and simple to enable. Breakfast was great, dinner that is offered around 3-4 nights a week was not as good, but still nice to see that this is even being offered at no extra price.
Would most defiantly stay here again and would recommend others to do so as well.

Room Tip: Had a Room on the 3rd floor that was quiet. Although, could hear the stomping of whomever was in the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We booked and paid for a room a month before our trip, and were told when we got to the desk that we now had a room at another hotel. Of course this hotel doesn't have a suite, which we "had" at the Residence Inn. We were told that they had overbooked, but never even bothered to send even a courtesy email. I'm guessing they decided to give our room away to someone staying longer. This was a stop on our way back from the mountains for our
anniversary.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Kristen H
TMIHospitality, Manager at Residence Inn Denver North/Westminster, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Kristen H,
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincerest apologies that we did not have your room available for you and that the accommodations we arranged for you did not meet your expectations. We truly let you down as our guest and for that I'm very sorry. It is my hope that you will allow us an opportunity to make up for this on your next trip to the area.

Ryan M.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have stayed at many Residence Inns, and it is the staff that sets this one apart. The location is ok, right off the boulder turnpike, and the rooms are average. In fact, I had a few issues with my room, doors not locking, etc., but all of the little things can be overlooked with such a wonderful staff. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have ground access on the back side of the building.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a very nice Residence Inn. We picked this property for a sightseeing trip to Colorado because is was close to most everything in Northern Colorado, had a great price (which may have been attributable to nearby highway construction which, other than the first night in the dark, wasn't that bad and should not last too much longer).

The rooms are the largest I have seen in any Residence Inn .. our 1-bedroom suite was over 500 sq. ft. The things that count at a Residence Inn were all present - good breakfast, clean rooms, quality mattress, full kitchen, free weeknight dinners incl. beer and wine, etc. Plus, Ryan the manager runs an excellent ship. As an example, on one very windy day (45 to 65 mph winds) something was banging somewhere. Not wanting it to continue into the night I called the front desk. A few minutes later I looked out the window from our 4-th floor suite and saw a fellow walking around and looking up. I pointed where I thought the sound was coming from and invited him into the room to hear for himself. Turns out he was the manager and began to open HVAC panels to check for anything loose. He fixed it himself because the maintenance staff had left for the day .. I thought that was above and beyond the call of duty.

There are lots of stores and malls close-by and the #1 rated Denver restaurant (on Tripadvisor in May) was just on the other side of the hotel next door and had good take-out.

All-in-all, a very nice stay and will return to this Residence Inn the next time we are in Denver.

Room Tip: We had a quiet, top-floor room facing the back parking lot - worked well.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stpetevette
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location just off the 36 Freeway and not too far from downtown Denver. We were in town for a wedding and to visit family. The hotel was very reasonable and with breakfast served in the morning it is well worth it. The rooms are very comfortable and clean and the hotel is well maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable. There are a number of restaurants close by, either by walking to or a short drive. The gym is equipped nicely and the indoor pool is fine. They have a nice little patio area and a small basketball court.

Room Tip: I think most of the rooms are just fine.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family