“Almost, but not quite...”

The Westin Westminster
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Westminster
Portland, Oregon
“Almost, but not quite...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

The Westin Westminster Promenade is a large, well appointed hotel, with friendly staff and a dog-friendly policy. Although I attend a fairly specialized business event held here yearly, I appreciate the availability of different restaurants in the adjacent Promenade. This comes in handy because the hotel's restaurant, Kachina, is pretty exclusively southwest "cuisine." I like southwest inspired food, but 4 days in a row?? I think not.

Room service is shockingly affordable, and relatively prompt. Although they got one of my orders wrong, the food is still tasty. I suffered in silence.

Other features of note are the AMC movie theaters at the promenade--the front desk has printouts of movie times for your convenience--and the delightful Butterfly Pavilion just across the street. The hotel caters to weddings and other tourist activities, so you might take advantage of those instead of hitting the pretty generic pool.

The drawbacks to this hotel are twofold, in my opinion.

First, it's a great distance from the airport (which itself is in the middle of next to nowhere), and has no airport shuttle so you are forced to take an $80+ taxi ride or get jounced around by a commercial shuttle that might make multiple stops before arriving in Westminster. Very inconvenient if one has an early morning departure.

Second, the hotel and restaurant menus are not really extensive enough to accommodate various diet restrictions or choices. Very little is gluten free. Very little is vegan or even vegetarian-friendly. Very little is even remotely health-conscious, although they do note "super foods" on the menu. I recommend going across the promenade to the Thai restaurant (Tuk Tuk, where they happily customize your tasty and inexpensive meal).

So, overall, not bad but could be better. I'm stuck there due to the convention I attend. But you don't have to be!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bacongougere
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Westminster, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed Kachina and the surrounding area. While Kachina does have a developed concept, our talented chefs are happy to modify dishes to suit dietary needs. During your convention next year, I hope you will take the opportunity to see what our chefs can do to help you enjoy a perfect meal made to your specifications.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Let me start off with saying that I would never leave a poor review unless I knew that there was something better close by or there was something that was an Act of God that could give them the benefit of the doubt. I am not expecting anything from management by posting my experience. I just want to share my experience so other travelers can make a fair decision.

We stayed for two nights for a ballroom competition. The room was very spacious, always had HOT water (be careful or you'll burn yourself), and the beds were actually really comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel, Kachina, was by far the BEST part of our stay. They have fabulous selections! That's about it. The problem I have with this Westin location is that essentially we were kicked out because they were booked for the night. We weren't offered any help to find other accommodations. No apology for the mix-up. Nothing. Just told that if we wouldn't pay then we had to go (even though I was told that we could stay one more night). Let me explain.

We realized that we would have to stay and extra night because it would be impossible to check-out in time and still be in the competition. The lady at the front desk said it was no problem, and that it would be the same discounted rate (one we got for the ballroom competition) that we paid for the other two nights. Great! The day we were originally supposed to check-out we got a knock on the door from a housekeeper saying that they thought we were supposed to check out. We explained that we got another night and she left. 15 minutes later we get a phone call from the front desk. This was where the problem occurred. I spoke to a woman, I believe her name was Arianna (or something very similar) and she told me that because they were completely booked that night, we would have to pay the full rate and not the one we were told. The full rate was more than twice what we were paying!! I asked if we quickly packed and checked-out if we would be charged that and she wasn't sure and had to ask. I know it's hard to believe via the internet, but the way she spoke to me on the phone sounded like the whole time she was insinuating that even though we were going to leave, we were going to be charged the full rate because we were in there half of the day. Like I said, they didn't offer to help us find another place to stay or even some sort of an apology for the mix up. This is the kind of customer service I would expect at a Motel 8 NOT a Westin! No, actually I wouldn't expect this kind of service at any hotel, from Motel 8 to The Ritz, no hotel should do this to their paying customers!

Next year, we will not be staying here. There is a Marriott no more than two minutes away and we will be staying there.

Green Features: They have a "green choice" program where you get a $5 voucher to a local restaurant or 500 Starwood points, but this means that you won't get housekeeping for the day. No restocked toiletries, towels, or beds made.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bouncin_bichon
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Westminster, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent visit. I am sorry that we were unable to honor your request to stay an additional night. As this request came in the late afternoon, our rooms were fully committed for that evening and we were unable to adjust our room inventory to accommodate your request without displacing other guests. I am also sorry you felt we were going to charge you for the day but happy to see that we did not. On a positive note, I am pleased that you enjoyed the spacious room and found the bed to be comfortable. I hope we will have an opportunity next year to serve you where reservation date changes will not impair an otherwise great stay.
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Overall, it would be a nice hotel in an excellent location.
BUT: the company saved a lot of money on blankets and pillows. They bought the cheapest, heavy feather blankets, one can imagine! I am allergic and I could not sleep at all! You cannot open the windows, AC not efficient to get enough fresh air into the room.
I would never go back again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jituska1
I am glad you found the hotel to be nice and an excellent location, however; I am sorry that the linen did not allow for a restful sleep. All of our linen is purchased per Westin Heavenly Bed specifications which I assure you is of the highest quality. We do have a feather free option which will eliminate any fibers resulting in allergies. I am sorry this option was not made available to you as it is an easy remedy for our guests with allergies. I am hopeful you will remain a Westin guest and it would be our pleasure to make this option available to you if you are again in our area. Thank you for staying with us.
Halifax, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel is nice enough, but isn't exactly available at budget prices, and it lets itself down by charging $10-95 a day for in room Wi-Fi. This can mount up considerably over a few days, and Westin should really drop these charges if they expect to attract visitors.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding the internet charges at our hotel. While these charges are in line with Westin guidelines, I appreciate you sharing your perspective. I hope the other aspects of your visit exceeded your expectations.
Warrenton, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great staff and the short walk to shops, movies, and restaurants makes it a great hotel if you need to be in the area. The hotel and amenities are excellent quality and the rooms are comfortable. There is plenty of free parking and easy to get to or you can valet. I do think the price is a bit high but not ridiculous.

Room Tip: Facing west is nice for views and overlooking lake/pond. East facing doesn't have much to look a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Westminster. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the amenities in the area. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts and look forward to your next visit.
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hadn't been to this hotel in a while, and we were more than happy with our overnight stay this past Saturday night. Libby (front desk) took wonderful care of us! Mark was very nice as well! Our room was clean, but how about upgrading the TV's to HD?!

Also enjoyed two meals in the hotel restaurant, Kachina grill. "Out of the box" Mexican is how I'd describe it. Great food, very tasty! Only complaint is that the temperature in the restaurant Sunday morning was chilly. My father joined us for breakfast for Father's Day and we had to go and get him a coat and move to a table by the fireplace.

We'll be back next time we're in the area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wannabeprincess49
Mike C, General Manager at The Westin Westminster, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for joining us this past weekend and enjoying Father's Day at Kachina. I am glad you enjoyed your visit. I especially appreciate you recognizing Libby and Mark who are both great associates on our team. We look forward to your next visit.
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Valet parking greeted us and we had no wait checking in. The decor is beautiful when you walk in and the lobby was welcoming with a clean modern appearance and a fireplace to sit around. I love that there is a Starbucks right in the lobby! Both our greeters were up beat and happy to greed us. Our room was above my expectations, and I was impressed with all the amenities provided. Staff was pleasant and very helpful. The Kachina Restaurant has outdoor seating, and provides a wonderful atmosphere for dining. There is a 2 mile trail near by with gorgeous scenic views. The view from the mountain side was breathtaking. And the hot tub on the 3rd floor is open until midnight. Overall, I would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: Pick a room or suite on the west side of the hotel. The view of the mountains is amazing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gonzo2234
Thank you for sharing your recent experience. I am pleased that the hotel allowed for a great stay. I appreciate all of your kudos regarding Kachina, the greeters, the trails and the outstanding views. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westminster
Drury Inn & Suites Denver Westminster
Denver Marriott Westminster
Denver Marriott Westminster
#3 of 19 in Westminster
SpringHill Suites Denver North/Westminster
DoubleTree by Hilton Denver - Westminster
Hampton Inn Denver Northwest/Westminster
HYATT house Boulder/Broomfield

Been to The Westin Westminster? Share your experiences!