“Dead Horse would be a better name”
Review of Iron Horse Resort

Iron Horse Resort
Reviewed 16 February 2010

This place was a huge disappointment in my book. I booked it because you could ski down to the base from a spot on the property. True enough you could, but the catwalk was so flat in places (as so many of them are at Winter Park) that it was easier to take off the skis and walk on the first morning when I let my wife use my poles until we could get her a pair at the base. The restaurant/bar was closed for the season because they couldn't come to terms on their lease with the resort. That's a deal that has to get done under all circumstances so I blame the resort for that void. There was no bellman and no ski-check. I had never been sent to a room anywhere in the world that hadn't been cleaned until this visit. As it turns out, it was already an hour after check-in and then when I informed the front desk, we waited another hour and fifteen minutes for housekeeping to get up to the room and clean it. The dated room smelled like a deep-fat fryer from the previous guests and there were dogs in seemingly every other room on our floor. The place wasn't horrible, but it has so much room for improvement. I still can't believe there wasn't a place on the property to get a meal and a drink, especially since you have to take a shuttle into town three miles away or go down to the mountain base to get to the nearest restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SCNate09
There are newer reviews for Iron Horse Resort

Reviewed 16 January 2010

I have attended an annual professional meeting at the Iron Horse for over 10 years. Unfortunately, this lodging is on the downhill slide. We had a studio unit (Murphy bed) which was clean and adequate. However, there was no fresh coffee (save for decaf) and linens were not changed. We had a loud unruly group for two of our four nights and our complaints to the front desk were disregarded. The hot water in the bath/shower was "spotty".

In the past, the restaurant had a good bar and decent restaurant, but at arrival, we were disappointed to learn they had "closed for the season".

The "ski in - ski out" convenience is a plus, but is the only remaining positive for this lodging. I know that the economic downturn has hit Winter Park hard, but the negatives of our stay seemed to outweigh the effects of the economy.

I probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Andaltex
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We stayed at the Iron Horse Resort for 6 nights 12/27/09 thru 1/2/2010. We rented a studio condo for family of 4, Unit 6014, Bldg D. My husband and I slept on the Murphy bed and our daughters (age 13 & 15) slept on the sleeper sofa. Murphy bed was surprisingly comfortable, sleeper sofa was not the greatest (lumps and bars) but the girls managed. Sleeper sofa definitely wouldn't be big enough for teenage boys. Our condo was a bit dated, could have used some minor repairs like trim pieces, cabinet door hinges, wall paper tears. It was overall clean and comfortable. Location was right at the bottom of ski run between Mary Jane & Winter Park base so you really can "ski out" to Zephyr Lift at the Winter Park base. The ski run to "ski in" is a blue run called Mary Jane and it was hard & icy when we were there, not for beginner skiers. Fitness room, pool, hot tubs & locker rooms were all operational and very nice during our visit. Hot tubs are outside so be prepared. There are steam rooms in both the men's & women's locker rooms, very nice! There are also showers that have body wash, shampoo & conditioner so we took advantage of that since there were 4 of us sharing one bathroom in condo. There is no restaurant at Iron Horse Resort at this time. We asked about it and were told the contract fell through for this season. So maybe it will be open for summer but I would call and ask. We made our reservation on-line with company called The Lodging Company and didn't realized until after I made the reservation that our reservation was booked with an off-site management called the Beavers. This wasn't a real big deal but we had to check in/out at the Beavers Inn down the road a few miles. Also had to call the Beavers Inn & Condos if we had questions or problems with the condo instead of the front desk staff located on-site at the Iron Horse Resort. We also didn't get any housekeeping services, had to take our towels back to Beavers and pick up clean ones. Iron Horse also has underground parking - very nice! The free shuttle was great to/from Winter Park base. Ski shop staff also very helpful.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Westcolotraveler
Reviewed 17 September 2009

I stayed here off season (Sept '09) Arrived late, no problem. The place was deserted. Nobody, nada, nothing moving. It was about 9:00 pm and no food, no lounge, no nothing. But, the condo was very very nice overall. We had a problem with the fireplace coming on and the front desk lady came up twice and finally got it working. The internet didn't work at first (she said they had maintenance there that day working on it) but it did pop up later that night. The place seemed very clean and decorated very nicely and furnished with the 4 plates, etc. basics. Nice appliances, nice kitchen overall. The murphy bed was not comfortable, that is my only complaint. We didn't use the sofa bed. The linens were nice. The patio was small, wobbly railing and two cheap plastics chairs. No biggie there. The bathroom area was remodeled and very nice. The place was decorated very nicely, it felt like a home. I'm sure when things are in full swing, it's really nice but consider other places if going in off season. The drive (25 miles) up the mountain to it is mostly switchbacks at 20mph. It was not fun in the dark, especially if you are tired. Coming down in the daylight was not too bad. Lot of locals trying to run you off the road as they pass going downhill at 60mph around curves. I would stay down at the bottom of the mountains if I go to Winter Park again off season.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank CJ24
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Keeping in mind that our travel was during off-season, I was a bit disappointed in Iron Horse. The restaurant is closed for the season and the front desk isn't accessible between 10pm and 8am. However, I can understand that the facility has a prime location for winter guests, for the summer it's a mediocre place but a good price. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo with 3 children and 2 adults. The rooms were nice, a bit squeezed for a family of 5 and the outdoor balconies looked less than safe; wobbly railings!
The kids visited the swimming pool and hot tub area. Its was alright, but nothing that impressed me. We also visited the fitness center and it is very well equipped, clean and easy access to the locker rooms. The fitness center was only open from 8am - 10pm, so early risers are out of luck!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JALJS
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We just got back from our Spring Break Trip and stayed in Unit 4113. It was decorated beautifully and was great for all of us, but the area was loud. We heard the buses run and a lot of semis coming in and out taking commodities to the Restaurant. We stayed last year and had a quiet condo. Did not see a great upgrade in the gym and the equipment is not so great. If you like to cook then don't rent this condo, because they are individually owned and the cooking equipment was terrible. I am not impressed that they changed the restaurant, it used to be better. The tubs both needed some draino and lightbulbs were out in both bathrooms. Like I said the unit is beautiful, but the cleaning people could do a better job cleaning the units.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank OsageFarmGirl
Reviewed 21 March 2009

We booked a 2 bedroom unit as we were traveling with friends. We were fortunate that we got a unit in Bldg D (# 5094) which is right at the level for the ski in/out. The staff was very attentive both at the front desk and in the bar and restaurant. The guys were able to rent their ski equipment right on the property. I appreciated the fact that there is a secure garage so no need to scrape snow/ice off the car in the morning.

The food in the restaurant was excellent -everyone in our party loved their selection.

I understand from the other reviews that some of the unit don't seem to be as well care for as ours was so I was thrilled with ours. It was perfect. I loved the decor - wanted to copy it for our cabin in Sugar Mountain, NC :-).

We would definitely stay there again so the need/oppty arise.

Enjoy.