“Well equipped Hotel near to ski slopes”

Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Winter Park
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Spent approx 10 nights at this hotel in March.

Room was very clean and kept fresh and tidy each day by excellent cleaning service. Good bath and shower over head. The bathroom could do with updating but is fully functional and adequate for a skiing holiday

The fan in the bedroom was quite noisey so I did not have it on during the night and just used an extra blanket.

I could hear the train each early morning (1amish) but that could have been due to jet lag!

I used the hot tubs a few times, very hot and just the thing to sort out sore muscles after a day on the slopes. I didnt use the swimming pool but it looked okay and excellent views from the pool and tubs over to the slopes.

Ski bus picks up people each day from outside of the hotel, regular friendly and easy to use service free of charge. Hotel to slopes is approx 5 mins

It snowed most days or evenings but roads were quickly cleared and all transport easily managed the 6 - 8 inches fall (I say this because in the UK this would stop all traffic for hours!).

Reception were friendly and keen to assist.

Breakfast and evening meals were taken inside the hotel. There was hot breakfast and full continental each day. There was a full menu for evening meals that I worked through over the 10 days. The kitchen are willing to cook food from the menu to your requirements and reduced portions for me on many occasions as they were just huge and it seemed such a waste. Many foods come in sauces so if like me you like just a touch of sauce ask them to put to one side or separately where possible so that you can put the exact amount on.

Room Tip: I had a room at the front overlooking the slopes which was lovely but I did also get to hear the tra...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank daffyduck625

Reviewed 4 April 2013

The location of this hotel - being right across from the ski resort is convenient - but that was the only positive thing about it. It advertised a brewery being inside the hotel restaurant but the brewer was apparently fired and and as of February they said, are no longer brewing. We felt like we had walked into the 1980s staying in this hotel...the people and the decor alike were all outdated. I didn't want to eat at the restaurant so we took the free shuttle downtown to eat, watch basketball games, and drink in the evening. We did have a few drinks at the hotel bar and the bartenders was very friendly. The rooms were not up to my standard for cleanliness and I didn't dare go look at the pool or hot tub. Overall I was very disappointed as I had brought a friend from out of state here and being from Colorado, this made me disappointed in Colorado.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel between late march and early April. We found the staff very friendly and the atmosphere was very warmly and the staff were very easy to talk to. Similarly the bus drivers that transported you around town would take you anywhere even if the location was not en-route. The hotel; however, was not the most high-tech much like the rooms that did not have the pizazz nor warmly feeling of other hotels I have previously stayed in. I would recommend this hotel if you want friendliness and value for money but I would "go for" a different hotel if you are looking for quality of furniture and decor.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank rollsmister
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Me and my family stayed at Winter Park Mountain Lodge for the first time on March 27th to March 29th, 2013. It was such a terrible hotel for the price that I felt compelled to write an official complaint!

First of all the hotel condition is Dirty and needing repair. The carpeting in our room was ripped and torn and we could see the bare floor underneath!; The bathtub didnt have the appropriate mechanism to hold water in the tub, so we couldn't use the bathtub; there was no microwave and mini-fridge in the room; the ice maker on our floor didn't work; and the swimming pool was too cold to swim in.

Secondly, the staff was not very helpful nor courteous to first time visitors like us! I had to ask a lot of questions to get any info about the hotel and how the skiing and shuttles worked. In fact, the staff at the hotel and the shuttle driver failed to tell us that the shuttle route changed at night time (530pm). So the first time we road the shuttle to the ski village, we stood out in the cold for 30 minutes at night time waiting on the shuttle at the 'daytime' stop, until I called the Lodge to find out where the shuttle was! That's when they told me about the shuttle route change at night!

(the hotel across the street looked nice, from the outside, 'The Vintage')
The ski park itself was very nice, so I can't understand why they would book anyone at this hotel.

2  Thank 712marks712
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel, and I was disappointed for what we got for the price. The hotel probably has not been updated since it was built. It was very outdated. The heat in the room would change at any given notice, and woke up several times throughout the night roasting, turned down the heat and then it would be freezing. The dresser had quite a bit of drawers, however, two of them would not open. We were told that we would have two queen beds, but I am sure they were full sized beds. One of the lamps in the room did not work. The carpet in the hallway and the room were wrinkled, and my children tripped on the carpet more than once. When we went to the pool, we were disappointed to see that one of the two hot tubs were out of order. The hot tub was always packed with people because of this. There was so much chlorine that we were coughing and rubbing our eyes from the fumes. The hot tub seemed too hot, and the pool water was freezing. The bathroom in the hotel room was tiny. The shower went from scalding hot to freezing with a tiny turn of the handle. I have been at many hotels that have complimentary breakfast, but this hotel charges $12.95 per adult, $8.95 for children. The pancakes were burnt, the bacon rubbery, the bagels and cereal were stale. We wound up eating at McDonald's the next morning. The parking garage was a joke - fit a handful of cars - we never parked in there because there were never spaces. The next time I stay in Winter Park, I will be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel. Do not book at this one.
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Dirty. No, filthy. Outdated? I’d LOVE outdated. This place should have been razed in the 70s. Staff would rather be ANYwhere else than here. Hot tub was literally overflowing with suds from too much chlorine. People (including children) were coughing and rubbing their eyes from the fumes. Several calls made to front desk, but it took over an hour for anyone to show up and try and correct the problem. We were on our way out by then, so I have no idea what happened afterwards. Furniture in room was damaged and broken. Not all the lights worked. Waited 20 minutes in the restaurant for a "hot fudge sundae" which ended up being a 7-11 brownie with some whipped cream on the side. When I made my way from a high top to the bar to pay for said delicacy, the Cretan running the bar had the nerve to shout out at me suggesting that I was trying to dine and ditch. Nice. Good news, there were only 7 people in the entire place. Including "staff." No wonder it took 20 minutes to "make" my son's takeout desert. Hot tub also had green mildew. There were no towels. Took the stairs several times bc elevator is so slow and discovered that the smokers' door is unlocked. Did i say "unlocked?" Correction: there IS NO LOCK. Unfettered access from the outside.

Okay okay. I'm ranting. Put it this way: they're a stone's throw from the WP ski area. And they know it. And they know you know it. So...be prepared to pay for location location location. And NOTHING else.

good luck....

1  Thank Patrick G
Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

Myself and a group of friends stayed at the WPML for a week and really enjoyed our stay. We booked through Crystal Holidays and took the half board option.
Breakfast was continental style with a choice of cereal and hot options with plenty of coffee and juice. The evening meal was a choice off the restaurant menu. There was a good selection. My only criticism would be the portion sizes - there was probably enough food for 2 people on each portion. Also included was a small drinks package - 3 drinks a day, which included beer, wine, spirits or even cocktails if you wished.
I didn't use the pool or sauna area but two of our group did and they assured me that it was clean and tidy and that the hot tubs were nice and hot.
The bar is quiet (ideal for a après drink), and has a pool table, juke box and a couple of arcade style machines to play.
Reception staff were great - always happy to help. On one occasion one of the staff even gave us a lift into town - a service beyond their call of duty.
The rooms were kept clean and tidy. Clean sheets and towels were available on a daily basis.
The bus service was superb. They turned up when they were supposed to every time (even when we had a good dump of snow).
All in all this hotel does exactly as it says on the tin. If you come expecting a 5 star quality hotel you might be a little disappointed but if you remember that this is a 3 star establishment then I think you will be impressed. Given the chance I would definitely return to this establishment.

• Stayed: March 2013
#3 of 25 in Winter Park
Valley Hi Motel
Valley Hi Motel
#5 of 14 in Winter Park

Been to Winter Park Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!