“Spring Break”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Winter Park
Des Moines, Iowa
“Spring Break”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We just returned from a stay at the Mountain Lodge and found the accommodations perfectly fine. I'm not sure if we were lucky or if management has been reading these reviews and addressing the concerns expressed. Our unit was clean, the beds very comfortable and the only smell was that emanating from the restaurant and it was an honest to goodness food smell. We were accommodated with an early check in and a shuttle to the Amtrak station---all by the very helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
League City, Texas
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

My family of 5 stayed here for 4 nights. We had a forest view 2 queen room with a rollaway. After I booked the room I kept reading reviews and was thinking I should change hotels. Glad I didn't! This place was great and more than I expected. A lot more room than your typical hotel room. Brought rollaway in and didn't even have to move furniture around. There was a fridge in room. We were on the 5th floor and never had to wait long for elevator. In fact we only ran into other people on it maybe twice. I was expecting a run down old looking place. Not the case. We took the kids to pool one day. It was a lot bigger than I expected. Loved sitting there watching the snow come down. We tried the restraint for lunch. It was typical hotel food. We walked over to bar area (very nice) and let the kids play pool and other games in there. Everyone was very nice. Loved that they brewed beer there. There was a small arcade on the other side of bar. We really enjoyed our stay here! Don't hesitate to book. Not sure what other people are complaining about.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Julie F
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This was the first thing out of our mouth when the elevator door opened on our floor. It was the smell of curry and dog feces/cat food (not sure which) that permeated the hallway and our room. We figured out that the smell was coming from a meeting room that was connected to the Moffat Station Restaurant on the same floor as ours. This was the second negative experience that we had within the five minutes of being at the Winter Park Mountain Lodge. The first was when we entered the front door, I was not greeted by a courteous clerk, welcoming me to the lodge. Instead I was met with a young woman behind the desk that looks up long enough to say,"What's up?" Fast forward to entering our room. The room was clean, as far as I could tell. I get the ice bucket and proceed to the ice machine that I had passed in the hallway. The ice machine was broken. I go back to my room and call Ms. "What's up" at the front desk. She tells me, "Yeah, the ice machine on that floor has been broken for several weeks, but there is another machine on every floor. I go to level three to use that ice machine. It spits out three or four cubes and quits. (sigh)...Onto level four. I got lucky and it filled the bucket halfway before quitting as well. Later, when we decide to get something to eat, we decided to give the Moffat Station grill a chance. I was surprisingly impressed with the overall look and feel of the restaurant. The nut brown ale was decent and the burger was good. The only downside was that the bartender had to run the bar, take the orders of all customers at the tables, wait on everyone at the tables, refill drinks, bring out the food, bus the tables, and cashier all customers. He was a "one man band" and he did it surprisingly well, the poor guy. The next morning we could not get out of there fast enough. I WILL NEVER BE BACK to this sorry excuse of a hotel. Don't be fooled by the online pictures of Winter Park Mountain Lodge! The next time I go to Winter Park Resort, I will gladly pay double the price to stay across the street!

Room Tip: There isn't one. Stay at the Zephyr.
1 Thank Michael O

Travellers are raving about these Winter Park hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I have been here since Thursday and I am disappointed about the rooms and service. The mountain view is beautiful but... The bathroom need a make over, more than that, the toilet is horrible. One of the beds has the bed frame displaced and we keep hurting when we walk around bed. The TV is old fashion and they DO NOT have dryers! What?! This is where the costumer service come dycotomic, it depends who you ask, you can get a very nice person or rude one. How many stars this hotel is anyway? DO NOT even try the restaurant here for dinner, it will take for ever and they end up telling you that they do not have what you requested.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This place has a great view of the Winter Park Slopes, it looks great on the outside, but thats about where it ends. The people have a New Jersey rudeness and the planning ability of the U.S. Senate. This was a 4 day Presidents Day weekend. Don't you think they would have enough staff there to take care of the guests. WRONG. The parking is horrible. They say "just part anywhere you can." How about on one of the 8 foot snow drifts around the hotel. The breakfast buffet looked like it was prepared for their normal crowd of about 12 people. When 50 showed up for breakfast they just let everything run out. No coffee, no juice, no pancakes or french toast, stale donuts and even the silverware was gone. The breakfast was a disaster and then they charge you full price for the mess. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Street Front have the view of the Ski Slopes. Pack light. The rooms are dinky.
2 Thank Michael5358
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The lack of parking made us feel like we were trapped at the hotel. When we asked the waitress about the garage parking she told us it was for special events only. We went to the brewery while we waited for our room and ordered nachos and there was a hair in our food. The lack of parking made us fell trapped and we decided to try dinner. We waited 2 1/2 hours for hamburgers that were raw and had hair in them. No towels at the pool,

Jarrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

My husband and I spent 2 weeks here 11th jan to 25th jan 2014. This is our 3rd visit and we are very happy with this lodge. Yeah some places are in need of a refurb and the new management are in the process of doing this. New carpets have already been fitted, new bedding and towels and cladding put on walls. I would say my main gripe was the hot tub area which is in desperate need of a face lift and im sure this will be on their list "to do". All in all we love the place, the staff are friendly and warm, always happy to help, the food is great and the portions massive :) One thing i would like management to consider is maybe allocating a floor for families only like they do for customers with pets as nothing worse than hearing other peoples children using the landing as a running track at night and actually hearing the parents telling their children to go play in the landing and corridor............ not good and no consideration for other residents, mind you this was only a problem during the weekend when locals came to stay. All in all though i would recommend this lodge to everyone, clean and comfortable what more do you want. Looking forward to staying again next year for 18 nights :) Zak, stock up on root beer shots for us ;)

Room Tip: Been in mountain facing and car park at the back. it doesnt really matter as after a day skiing its...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple