“Ok for the price and last-minute reservation”

Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Winter Park
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I made last-minute reservations for a quick one-night ski getaway. Did not want to pay a fortune and this was the only place in Winter Park that had rooms that seemed affordable. The hotel is definitely in need of updating, but it was fine. I consider myself a bit of a hotel snob - I don't need luxury but I want a clean place. Our room was quite clean. There was a strange stain in the bathtub, but other than that, I had no concerns about the cleanliness of the room.

The pool area could be great, but again, is sorely in need of an update. We did sit in the hot tub after skiing and I took a dip in the pool. There were 2 hot tubs, but the jets on the second were not working.

So, if you want a hot tub and a clean room to spend the night in - this will do the trick. But it's nothing fancy. The staff was pleasant - check-in and check-out was a breeze, extra towels were sent up when we asked.

The only strange thing was when I was straightening my hair after a shower, apparently the heat from my blow dryer/straightening iron set off the smoke detectors. Quite loud, but the staff quickly called to check on it and turned it off.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smhayes8

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Been here several times before. Straightforward value ski hotel. Very convenient but quiet this time of year. Hence all slow and no buzz. Bar and restaurant quiet with limited food esp if on half board plan. Ate out for variety. Friendly and helpful staff. Good clean rooms. Nice pool and sauna , shame jacuzzi not working. Views from this place are the best in WP.
Overall OK.

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank drrich
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The gentleman whom answered the phone was very rude and short. I had a couple of questions and if he would have responded in a professional manner of wanting business I would have booked a room. Don't think I will every consider this place. This is where 1st impressions even over the phone can break the deal.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lizzie-Luvs2Travel
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We knew going in from all the reviews that this was not a 5 star resort. It was one of two choices in our package deal with the Vintage being the other. Next time I would pick the Vintage. It's walkable to lifts and there is a cabriolet that takes you into the Village. There is a bus that picks you up right at the front door of the WPML which wasn't too bad. Drops you off right at the lifts once you figure out how the bus system works. Ask the drivers, they love to talk. Kudos to Sue, she was great! Our room was ok, my daughter found two dead flies the minute we walked in so I take it the maid forgot to vacuum that day. The view of the mountain was nice. Shower was clean, wish they would have some exhaust fans in the bathrooms and the toilets have no seat covers which I thought was odd. Beds were good. The heater was very loud and would only come on for less than a minutes and go off again. This woke me up a bunch of times during the night. Room had a little fridge which helped out a lot. No microwave, that would have been nice to have. Rented out equipment from Ski4Less which is located in the lobby. Very convenient. People were helpful and the price was right. The nice thing is they only charge you for the days you actually ski and they go by the honor system. Works out nice if you want to take a day or two off during the week. Lodge staff was very nice at the front desk. Everyone answered our questions and had many suggestions. Didn't eat at the lodge so I can't comment on that. Couple of suggestions I would make for food. Goodies in the Village - kids loved this place. Crepes were amazing. Pizza Pedal'r in the Village. If your looking for a cheaper dinner and believe me you will be. Great pizza. Make sure you bring the kids in to watch them flipped the dough. Mountain Grind Coffee & Bistro in Cooper Creek Square. You have to go to this place for breakfast. Food was great people were fantastic. The bus will drop you off right there if you don't want to drive. They even have fudge and gelato.
I'm only giving the WPML a 3 because the pool was cold and one of the hot tubs was not working, so the one that was, was always filled up. If that had been working I may have given a 4. The cookies and snacks that they hand out at the front desk everyday helps too. All in all not a horrible place but given a choice I would go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We had a rare family vacation scheduled and chose this hotel because of the price and location - unfortunately the very rude service and dirty rooms and pool proved not to be worth the savings -
Sorry to have to leave such a poor review - we actually got married at this hotel seven years earlier! Boy has it gone downhill!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Gintaj
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We just returned from a stay at the Mountain Lodge and found the accommodations perfectly fine. I'm not sure if we were lucky or if management has been reading these reviews and addressing the concerns expressed. Our unit was clean, the beds very comfortable and the only smell was that emanating from the restaurant and it was an honest to goodness food smell. We were accommodated with an early check in and a shuttle to the Amtrak station---all by the very helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

My family of 5 stayed here for 4 nights. We had a forest view 2 queen room with a rollaway. After I booked the room I kept reading reviews and was thinking I should change hotels. Glad I didn't! This place was great and more than I expected. A lot more room than your typical hotel room. Brought rollaway in and didn't even have to move furniture around. There was a fridge in room. We were on the 5th floor and never had to wait long for elevator. In fact we only ran into other people on it maybe twice. I was expecting a run down old looking place. Not the case. We took the kids to pool one day. It was a lot bigger than I expected. Loved sitting there watching the snow come down. We tried the restraint for lunch. It was typical hotel food. We walked over to bar area (very nice) and let the kids play pool and other games in there. Everyone was very nice. Loved that they brewed beer there. There was a small arcade on the other side of bar. We really enjoyed our stay here! Don't hesitate to book. Not sure what other people are complaining about.

Stayed: March 2014
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
#3 of 25 in Winter Park
Americas Best Value Sundowner Motel

Been to Winter Park Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!