“You get what you pay for.”

Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Winter Park
“You get what you pay for.”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was absolutely horrible. Most uncomfortable beds I've ever slept in. The carpet was coming up and the tacks were exposed. The chair was burned in the back, a huge hole with the filling coming out. I will stop here. You get the idea.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Kkaycole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Travelzoo was selling vouchers for $59 per night to Winter Park Mountain Lodge. The summer season in Winter Park started June 15, so they had plenty of rooms available. The staff was very friendly, and were welcoming and helpful. The hotel has a restaurant/bar/microbrewery that has a limited menu, and the four beers that they make are all pretty good. The bar crowd, at least for the two nights we were there, was mostly locals that came in after work, which led to a feeling of it being more of a local hangout and less of a place for hotel guests.
The hotel itself is fairly dated and in some serious need of maintenance and upgrading. I'm sure that the winter weather takes its toll on the property, so perhaps much of the outside maintenance is just yet to be done.
They call their rooms "mountain view' and "forest view", but they would more accurately be called highway view and parking lot view. We had a mountain (highway) view, and the traffic noise was steady all night long. "Forest" view would probably be less noisy. The rooms are small and not very comfortable. Our room had two small wooden chairs beside a very small writing desk, all sitting next to the television, and 2 queen beds that were terrible. Bouncy, cheap, uncomfortable mattresses and box springs. The furnishings are all kind of old and shabby, and the t.v. looked to be about 15 years old, with a remote that only sorta worked. Since we could only watch t.v. sitting on the edge of the bed, that wasn't a big deal. The place seemed fairly clean, but there was some black mold in the grout around the bath tub. That's unacceptable.
Overall, because of the voucher deal, the place was ok. I would not be pleased if I had paid the full in-season rate. I gave three stars because of the cheap rate, and because the staff was friendly and helpful. Pretty sure I wouldn't stay there during ski season, though.

Room Tip: Choose forest view over mountain view. Park in the back if you can and go in the door beneath the ba...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rwooddvr
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We bought a bundle of Travelzoo deals for this place -- $59 for one night's hotel stay (including weekends) two drinks and one appetizer per room, and breakfast. The deal is for summer, and we spend a lot of time in WP in the summer for mountain biking.

The room was very nice. Clean, very large, extremely quiet, and updated furnishings. The bed was very comfortable. The TV is old, but it works, so I am not sure what the issue is with that.

The bathrooms could stand to be updated, but they were functional.

We went to the bar -- Moffat Station -- around 8 pm last Saturday night to redeem the deal.The place looked like a bomb had gone off. Dirty plates and glasses everywhere. Dirty tables. People standing at the bar, waiting to be served. There were three people behind the bar and they looked totally dazed. I think they had just gotten slammed and they were totally unprepared. I get it. It was opening day at the mountain, so we cut them a break. But they need to hire some more people if they are going to do a deal like this.

We didn't eat breakfast there but we stopped by to check it out. It looked pretty decent (needed refills) -- bagels/cream cheese, yogurt, fruit, juice.

Room Tip: The rooms facing west have a better view of WP mountain but they also face the highway so they are n...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HuskerK
Littleton, CO
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I made last-minute reservations for a quick one-night ski getaway. Did not want to pay a fortune and this was the only place in Winter Park that had rooms that seemed affordable. The hotel is definitely in need of updating, but it was fine. I consider myself a bit of a hotel snob - I don't need luxury but I want a clean place. Our room was quite clean. There was a strange stain in the bathtub, but other than that, I had no concerns about the cleanliness of the room.

The pool area could be great, but again, is sorely in need of an update. We did sit in the hot tub after skiing and I took a dip in the pool. There were 2 hot tubs, but the jets on the second were not working.

So, if you want a hot tub and a clean room to spend the night in - this will do the trick. But it's nothing fancy. The staff was pleasant - check-in and check-out was a breeze, extra towels were sent up when we asked.

The only strange thing was when I was straightening my hair after a shower, apparently the heat from my blow dryer/straightening iron set off the smoke detectors. Quite loud, but the staff quickly called to check on it and turned it off.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smhayes8
london
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Been here several times before. Straightforward value ski hotel. Very convenient but quiet this time of year. Hence all slow and no buzz. Bar and restaurant quiet with limited food esp if on half board plan. Ate out for variety. Friendly and helpful staff. Good clean rooms. Nice pool and sauna , shame jacuzzi not working. Views from this place are the best in WP.
Overall OK.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank drrich
Colorado
Reviewed 16 April 2014

The gentleman whom answered the phone was very rude and short. I had a couple of questions and if he would have responded in a professional manner of wanting business I would have booked a room. Don't think I will every consider this place. This is where 1st impressions even over the phone can break the deal.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lizzie-Luvs2Travel

Travellers are raving about these Winter Park hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We knew going in from all the reviews that this was not a 5 star resort. It was one of two choices in our package deal with the Vintage being the other. Next time I would pick the Vintage. It's walkable to lifts and there is a cabriolet that takes you into the Village. There is a bus that picks you up right at the front door of the WPML which wasn't too bad. Drops you off right at the lifts once you figure out how the bus system works. Ask the drivers, they love to talk. Kudos to Sue, she was great! Our room was ok, my daughter found two dead flies the minute we walked in so I take it the maid forgot to vacuum that day. The view of the mountain was nice. Shower was clean, wish they would have some exhaust fans in the bathrooms and the toilets have no seat covers which I thought was odd. Beds were good. The heater was very loud and would only come on for less than a minutes and go off again. This woke me up a bunch of times during the night. Room had a little fridge which helped out a lot. No microwave, that would have been nice to have. Rented out equipment from Ski4Less which is located in the lobby. Very convenient. People were helpful and the price was right. The nice thing is they only charge you for the days you actually ski and they go by the honor system. Works out nice if you want to take a day or two off during the week. Lodge staff was very nice at the front desk. Everyone answered our questions and had many suggestions. Didn't eat at the lodge so I can't comment on that. Couple of suggestions I would make for food. Goodies in the Village - kids loved this place. Crepes were amazing. Pizza Pedal'r in the Village. If your looking for a cheaper dinner and believe me you will be. Great pizza. Make sure you bring the kids in to watch them flipped the dough. Mountain Grind Coffee & Bistro in Cooper Creek Square. You have to go to this place for breakfast. Food was great people were fantastic. The bus will drop you off right there if you don't want to drive. They even have fudge and gelato.
I'm only giving the WPML a 3 because the pool was cold and one of the hot tubs was not working, so the one that was, was always filled up. If that had been working I may have given a 4. The cookies and snacks that they hand out at the front desk everyday helps too. All in all not a horrible place but given a choice I would go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family