“clean and comfortable”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Winter Park
Lake Jackson, Texas
“clean and comfortable”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

It feels like an old fashion hotel, in a good way. The entry area is used for checking in, eating breakfast and gathering with friends to talk. There is a sofa area and a area with tables and chairs. You have the oppurtunity to meet people from all over the United States. Because the hotel serves a simple and quick breakfast of waffles, egg/toast/sausage, bagel, fruit, cereal, juice, hot chocolate and coffee, you are able to get out on the mountain quickly. I believe whoever cleans this hotel deserves a bonus. With all the snow, mud and ski gear that gets brought in they must work hard to keep it clean and nice. Our room had two queen beds, very comfortable matresses and linens. With two parents and two teenage kids it was a little tight because of ski gear and ski clothes. I'm not sure how the hotel could do anything about that, maybe more hooks to hang gear up. We stayed for 5 nights and were on slopes most of the time. The staff was helpful, nice and understanding. This was our first time to stay here and hopefully we will be back next year. (location is within walking distance to many good shops and restaurants)

Room Tip: Our room was on the third floor, there was never an issue with noise.
2 Thank SydneyBPG
BW-Alpenglo-Owner, Owner at Best Western Alpenglo Lodge, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
We're so pleased you had an enjoyable stay. It's fun to read the things you like about our property, as we strive to make it a relaxing and enjoyable environment. Our housekeeping team does a great job on an ongoing basis, but I love relaying specific compliments like the one you have provided. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
longmont, United States
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have stayed here several times, usually bringing kids up for a couple of nights to go skiing. Breakfast is good, filling and some hot items, rooms are clean and well maintained, beds comfy. Overall, a great value for the location!

1 Thank Anita P
Thank you for such a kind review. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip!
Huntsville Al, United States
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful during check-in and check-out. They offered dining recommendations and saved us money on ski rentals. The room was a bit small but manageable. Only problem was the temp was difficult to regulate from hot to cool. Beds were very comfortable and the morning breakfast had plenty of variety and was very good.

1 Thank Alan B V
BW-Alpenglo-Owner, Owner at Best Western Alpenglo Lodge, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Our staff often gets high marks for being friendly and knowledgeable - - - I'm pleased you found the same to be true. It's good to know you had a comfortable stay, with the possible exception of our heaters. Since we are at such a high altitude (9,000 feet), we use a high efficiency, natural gas fired, PTAC unit. This unit provides more heat with a lower overall energy cost. Most PTAC units in hotels use electricity to heat which is rather inefficient. These specialized units often take 1-2 minutes to run a cycle and then adjust to a given temperature setting. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please come see us the next time you're in Winter Park!
Houston
Reviewed 9 March 2014

lovely staff, excellent location for access to ski shuttle and downtown Winter Park. Have now stayed there about a dozen times and each time has been very pleasant. Easy walk to shops and dining. They have a hot tub for after ski aches.

1 Thank bgsHouston
Thank you so much for your great review. While it always makes me happy to know we made our guest's visit a good one, I'm especially impressed that you've stayed with us "dozens of times". That is the true vote of confidence! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I came in for my birthday this past weekend and had booked a king room for my fiancee and I. Being a diamond member I stay in Best Westerns all across the country so I know what to expect. Upon check in I was not acknowledged for being a rewards member especially being a diamond member which is the highest tier of the program. I was not given the chance to get a room upgrade and also was not told what room I had received which to find out was a handicap accessible room on the first floor by the elevator, if I had any chance to switch I would of but the front desk associate rudely said they were sold out. Thru out the night the noise of the room was terrible, the hall way was loud and the people above me you could hear all night. Also I could tell the hotel was a former Super 8 by the decor. The bed was very uncomfortable as well, probably the most uncomfortable night I've ever had in a hotel and I stay in hotels 90 plus nights a year for business. I woke up multiple times from it and had to use the wall mounted heater/fan to cancel out the noise. In the morning while taking a shower the water pressure was terrible and being that it was a handicap accessible room it was small even though the bathroom was big. Upon check out I asked to speak to the manager but she was off for the day, I had told the front desk representive Chris about the stay and he was only able to do 15% off the room, I definitely wouldn't have paid for the room if I had the choice. I won't be back and I advise you to do the same as well if you want an uncomfortable bed and to wake up from noise all night. Very disappointing

• Stayed March 2014
BW-Alpenglo-Owner, Owner at Best Western Alpenglo Lodge, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
It is very disappointing for me to read this review for a variety of reasons - - not the least of which is our failure to meet the expectations of a very important guest - - a Diamond level member of our Best Western Rewards program. That does not sit lightly with me and has already been addressed with the staff. While we failed to verbally acknowledge you at check-in, you were automatically awarded 250 additional Reward points for being an elite member, as is our policy.

While not "excuses", by way of an explanation to the reader of the review, I'd like to submit the following. The reservation was booked on-line a week before arrival and the only room choice left offering a King bed was the handicapped one. We do offer a Free room upgrade to Diamond Club members, but only if there's a room to upgrade to - - which in this case there was not - - as we indeed were Sold Out. It is for this reason we were unable to offer the option of a room change. Lastly, our building was designed with the handicap accessible rooms on the first floor, which is understandably one that receives a lot of traffic.

Once your stay got off to a bad start, it's my guess changing your perception would have indeed been difficult. I would only ask that you not hold this experience against other Best Western members as you make future hotel choices.
Warrenville, United States
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel is an upgraded Super 8. It is located in the newer portion of Downtown Winter Park and is about a conveniently located to the bus stops to/from the Winter Park Resort as one can be. The place is always clean, and the staff are the finest people, always ready to help where they can. The only negative comment I have is the noise from the hall into the rooms can be a little much. There has been some improvement in this area from previous years. After a day of physically demanding skiing, having a big flat screen TV, with 60 channels (one of which is HBO), is very relaxing. There is a hot tub, which I rarely use, but many I have met love it. The location is such that if you need a meal, a short walk will provide you with what you want. If you need a grocery store, the bus stop out front will take you free of charge to Safeway, every 1/2 hour, from 7 am to 10 pm.

1 Thank Harlan D
Thanks for your review Harlan - - - nicely done. You mention many positives about our property as well as one perceived negative. Thanks for at least acknowledging there has been some improvement in the room noise area. Believe it or not, it was in conjunction with a thoughtful guest that we researched and installed noise abatement pieces on the guest room doors and in the hallways. It's actions like these and insightful comments like yours that make us a better place. Thanks again!
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The Alpenglo Lodge is excellant. Quality staff displays all the best things of the Fraser Valley. Friendly, helpful and encouraging, they made our stay over-the-top Great. Within walking distance to all of Winter Park Downtown. Excellant area free shuttles provides access to the rest of this special place in Colorado. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Your kind words are very much appreciated! One of the benefits of being in the hospitality business is meeting great folks like you and helping make their stay a memorable one! We look forward to your next stay with us.