“BEWARE!!!!!”

The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop
kansas citu
“BEWARE!!!!!”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Just stayed here for a quick two night stay for some skiing....READ THIS BEFORE BOOKING!!!
Room not as described online (tv didn't work at all)....floor squeaked so bad, we couldn't sleep most of night and were exhausted for skiing....tried calling emergency number listed on website and we still haven't received a call back after multiple calls and voicemails after four days...tried calling owners cell phone number that was given to us multiple times and still haven't heard from him after four days....ended up having to stay at another resort second night to get rest...not all was terrible (ski shop staff and t-shirt shop staff very nice and helpful)...my advice is to look elsewhere if you are planning a vacation

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank kcfamily12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Scottsburg, Indiana
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Overall, very good experience. Traveled with my wife and two boys (21 and 18) and stayed in #23. The top floor room had an upper loft accessed through a latter. Ample room upstairs for the boys. The main room was a little tight but had everything we needed for a 4 night stay and clean. On the PLUS side; rentals were on facility, cooper square with a myriad of restaurants and shops were 100 ft away; easy access via bus to winter park (8-10 minute free bus ride), basement with ping pong and pool table (a bit old but useable...great for night activities with 2 boys), parking was on location, the Viking Lodge computer in the lobby worked well, overall quiet except for the last night when there were late night partiers next door (seemed an anomaly though), and lastly Mckayla who worked in the shirt shop was awesome, from getting us extra keys, ping pong balls, TP and answering questions. NEGATiVES, No Hot chocolate or coffee as advertised, no hair dryers, lots of pets (only bothered us the first early evening with a yip dog next door..but we like animals, just a little annoying first early evening), no stocked toilet paper (one roll??), the hotel is a little run-down/outdated, but we were there mainly to sleep to ski. I would rent again. Great price to value and again, great location!!!

Room Tip: There were rooms with a microwave and refrigerator. We only had one with a frig. We were on the to...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank mtbphillips22
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Cute little lodge with great sleeping. Our only down falls were that the hottub was not hot, and we found out there was a game room when we left, very hard to find. It was hard to get fresh towels and ran out of t.p. that was not restocked when asked. Other than that eveyone was very helpful and the room was great

• Stayed December 2013
Scott S, Owner at The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We have been having challenges with the hot tub lately. To make a long story short the pump is bad and the heater doesn't work well when the water isn't flowing at the correct volume. We are grappling with the choice to replace the pump ~$1000 or replace the whole tub.

We will try better with the Towels and TP on your next stay.
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We arrived after 5 probably closer to 7 and no one was at the desk. The key however was attached to the bulletin board. We went to the end unit near the road and the windows were open and the room was freezing! I could see my breath no exaggeration. It was also very dark since only one light was working. Some of the 1960 floor heaters didn't seem to be working and the tv was attached to a 1970's extension cord and touching the heater which wasn't much warmer than 60 deg F so that shouldn't be a problem but it did seem like a fire hazard. I called the number which was to the empty front desk to be moved or get a refund but no one answered and no one called me back after leaving an IRATE message! I would not recommend this place for anyone! We didn't feel like freezing to death in -18 deg F outside temps so we stayed in the nice Best Western near by.

Room Tip: go to the Best Western it was clean, warm, quiet, and had breakfast included which was good.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank starzpetal
Scott S, Owner at The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for taking time to review my hotel, I am sorry that what we provided didn't match your expectations. Yes this is an old building and we are in the process of updating it, however with some of the least expensive room rates in town this will take some time. The phone number that you mention goes directly to my cell so that I can personally take care of any guest assistance or emergencies and I did not receive any phone calls. The heating system while a little dated works fantastic and keeps the rooms very comfortable. It is a radiant hot water system so it does take a bit of time to catch up.

We strive to provide a clean comfortable and inexpensive lodging experience for our guests. We realize that our lodge is not for everyone and will gladly assist in making alternative accommodations. Hopefully the next time you are in Winter Park you will stop by and see the progress that we are making and give us another try.
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Having had a tour of the place before, I knew the rooms were small and the building is a bit dated. This just adds to its charm.

A friend and I decided to take an off-season trip for the weekend and reserved two rooms. Scott was very accommodating in allowing us to reserve one night instead of their usual two-night minimum. However, it did have to be paid for in advance.

Scott did tell us that there might not be anyone in the office when we checked in, but that the check-in packet would be available for us. Upon arrival, we discovered that not only was no one in the office, but the ski shop was closed as well. Absolutely no one around whatsoever. (Safety Issue #1)

We checked the note left on the office door for instructions. It stated to go back down the stairs and go through the brown door. The check-in packet could be found on a bulletin board (can't remember for certain, but it may have said "clipboard"). We looked for the only brown door we could find; which was a plain tan door leading into the ski shop's workshop. Not it. We turned around and noticed a BLUE door at the bottom of the steps to the office and decided to try that. Eureka! (Guess the management is color blind.) The keys to our rooms were in envelopes with our names and room number in plain sight at the top of the steps tacked to a bulletin board. (Safety Issue #2)

While we were at the top of those steps, we checked out the "Quiet Area" around the corner. It is a fairly comfortable, yet dated, room with a fireplace and a few furniture pieces. It also contained a sort of breakfast counter that appeared it hadn't been used in quite a few months.

We then decided to check out the game room in the basement. There is a closet at the bottom of the stairs that was open and filled with paint cans and paint supplies. Fire hazard? (Safety Issue #3)

The game room proved to be a less-than-desirable place to hang out. The ice machine is broken. There was a tiny broken treadmill in the corner. The pool table looked usable. The ping pong table was covered with heavy particle board pieces that couldn't even be lifted. We followed the connecting hallway to the restrooms; which appeared to be the only rooms in the whole building they updated. They were charming and extremely clean. Just past the restrooms was what can be loosely described as a dry sauna. Anyone using that sauna might come out with more bacteria than when entering, no matter how hot it got. The shower outside the sauna was being used for storage.

Our instructions stated the hot tub on the patio was open until 11:00 p.m. We lifted the cover to the hot tub and found it slightly warm and not quite as clean as it could be. No controls to turn it on could be found.

Again, we knew what to expect with the rooms, so were satisfied with the size of the rooms and the basic amenities of the rooms; which were very clean. (Probably cleaner than some Holiday Inns in which I've stayed.) However, my friend's room was ice cold! We found a space heater in the closet area, plugged it in and turned it on. Instructions on the heater said to keep it three feet from other objects -- problem -- room is so small, that is impossible. (Safety Issue #4) The rooms did, indeed, have smoke alarms, yet it was hard to tell for certain if they were actually working without a ladder to press the test buttons.

Just outside the rooms in the hallway, we found the fire extinguisher that, according to the tag, to not have been serviced since 2005/2006. (Safety Issue #5)

We started to feel a bit uncomfortable by this time.

Our rooms were at the top of a set of stairs through an outside door. The step riser at the very top to the landing is slightly smaller than the other risers and juts into the landing about three inches. As we started down the stairs, my friend miscalculated the top step and fell. She wasn't hurt, but that was the 'final straw' that led us to not stay.

We chalked the cost up to experience and checked into the Zephyr Mountain Lodge and were much happier.

The Viking Lodge building, charming and nostalgic, has such great potential. It could be a great place to stay if there were small improvements made. We would love to stay there on our frequent visits, but the safety issues and lack of a secure feeling prohibits that. Currently, it gives the impression that management simply doesn't care about it and that is sad, indeed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravelerCS
Lockport, Illinois
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Third year in a row that I stayed at the Viking Lodge. Excellent value for the money and the rooms were clean and staff was great! Location is prime for area resturaunts, bike rentals etc.
Will definately be back!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The staff was very friendly and the price was right. A family member booked the room for me and the staff left a key for me in the office. He knew I was freezing from riding my motorcycle in the rain all day and told my family to tell me about the hot tub and that I could turn the heat up in my room if I needed. The room and bathroom were both small and there were no perks in the room like a coffeemaker or a big screen tv, but cleanliness, friendly staff, charm, comfort and price are more important to me. I had the hot tub to myself and it was clean and the perfect temperature. This was in a quiet neighborhood and within walking distance of lot of stuff. He even said I could park my motorcycle under the tent where bicycle are rented during the day. The next morning, he offered me the use of any tools I needed while I was checking my motorcycle over and asked if I got warmed up. I was very pleased with my experience and would happily stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo