“something different”

The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop
Reviewed 26 August 2014

we've spent a four days at this lodge and loved it. not sure if this is family owned, but sure felt like it. we were upgraded for free, received outstanding .. and all were great.
its right smack downtown by the police department. walking to just about everything.. also very close to near by towns and National forest.
will be back to this place our next time at Winter Park.

Room Tip: we booked this in the summer, not sure how it will work in winter time.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Had an awesome time at the Viking lodge. We loved the room which had plenty of room and a cool loft! It's located right in the middle of winter park and is walking distance to everything you may want to do.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Love the cute old rooms of varying size and shape. The rooms with lofts! The rec room, hottub, sauna, shower by the sauna, the "lobby" with coffee and hot chocolate. The ski rentals and t shirt store. Plus it's right at the heart of the town. Great food 100 feet away. Free concerts in the park 2 blocks away.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here and loved thee fact that everything was so close. The owner was friendly and approachable when we asked to stay another night. The room was clean and comfortable. No frills though, but when all you do is sleep there then goout for the day, that's all you need.
Thanks Scott!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014

For a budget friendly place just to crash and clean up while taking in outdoor adventure in Grand Valley - the Viking Lodge was great. For the price tag you can't ask any cush. Great location right across the street from coffee, shops and restaurants. It was clean. Clean and smelled fresh and clean. That is key to my relaxing and enjoying a good nights' rest and restroom. Will be back!

Room Tip: When they say small room, they mean small. Just the basics.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 14 July 2014

ever stayed at a place where the maid doesn't come in?? This is it..for $99.00 mangt should be fired we had to hunt down toilet paper; beds don't get made...1989 19 inch tv on a wall mount that if on the way to bathroom if you are over 5'5" you will bash your face. Beds small crappy the "loft" 2 single beds bedspread stains carpets crappy toilet made for a midget shower head awful tub doesn't drain sink ugly the only plus is located right across from Moe's and casa Mexico great place by the way... this place needs a lot but I'm sure for some ski bums probably adequate I will never stay again for a ski town this place has a ski shop in it so get with the program the place could be so much better oh yea the hall way you had to go down to get to room wind tunnel and again made for the little people....also walls paper thin.. the two girlly's next door talking politics I was like in the room or the couple above doin the wild thing was entertaining..(:

Room Tip: just go someplace else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel S
TheVikingLodge, Owner at The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Daniel - thank you for taking the time for such heart felt review. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at The Viking Lodge. If I may take a few moments to address your concerns...

"...the maid doesn't come in??" - Correct we do not provide daily maid service. We have found that during a short stay most guests do not need/require a change of linens and their beds made up. This is usually outlined during check in.

"1989 19 inch TV..." Yes, while we have been slowly updating many of our TV's the one the room where you stayed has yet to be replaced. It does however function perfectly and Comcast provides roughly 100 channels."

'Beds Small..." Your reservation was for a room with a Queen Bed and two Singles. This room had a Queen Bed and two Singles. I check the bedspreads and couldn't find any stains, likewise on the carpet, however there is a stain in the entry.

"Midget Shower Head..."After measuring other shower heads in the hotel, this one albeit may be a little lower but still seams to be within standards. If there was a problem with the tub not draining correctly this could have been brought to our attention and immediately rectified.

"...also walls paper thin" Yes, the walls are paper thin and unfortunately there isn't much we can do about this. The couple above? That is confusing because there is not a room above, and with the exception of the afore mentioned political discussion there are not any other adjacent rooms.

Please Sir, I ask that you should give us another try and if you are not satisfied please let us know during your stay so that any deficiencies can be corrected.

Thanks - The Viking Lodge

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Family run Biz that's personable when u check in... that's it. No Daily cleaning/service & they really don't care. The Lodge Part if the Biz seems 2ndry, & I their kids want nothing to do with this kind of exhausting work & it shows. Worst part for me was I stayed for 3 days previous (who never bothered them) & yet on Sat Night The manager said, "U do know it's another $20 right?" There is such a thing as loyalty, he had ZERO interest. In fact was rude last time I talked to him. "I'll let u know if u can stay another night or not." I 'm sorry who's the customer here? Another Part NO ONE has talked about? They have bands playing til at least 10-11pm on Fri & Sat nights. Guess what, I heard ONE I wouldn't want to kill myself to. Total cost for 4 nights? $300. What an absolute joke especially w/a 13 inch TV. I'd love to get a response from them & would even give them another try & as the wife & daughter were very personable but I felt they were trapped in their husbands decisions in buying this place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to review our Lodge and yes...its a lodge not a hotel. Our "cleaning/service" program was outlined by me when you checked in. Your original reservation was for 1 night and on each subsequent morning you chose to extend your stay. As for the more expensive night in question...this is how I recollect the conversation. Your comment was that you wanted to stay one more night and since it was the weekend you understood it would probably be more expensive. I responded that yes I believe we have availability but since there was also a big concert (Left Over Salmon) across the street I would have to check my computer and because of the the concert it would be an additional $20 for the extra night. Your response - no problem.

On multiple occasions during your stay my wife and I asked if you needed anything and you said that you were fine and that you were enjoying your relaxing stay.

A note about the bands..."We" do not have any bands. One of the best features about The Viking Lodge is that we are within walking distance to most of the bars and restaurants in town. On this weekend unfortunately, most of those bars had bands and yes it would appear that the ones closest to The Viking Lodge played until 10 or 11.

So, please do give us another try.

Sincerely - The Viking Lodge

#1 of 14 in Winter Park
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
Zephyr Mountain Lodge
#2 of 25 in Winter Park

Been to The Viking Lodge and Ski Shop? Share your experiences!