“Great Place & Far Less Expensive than Buena Vista” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Woodland Park Country Lodge

Woodland Park Country Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Woodland Park
Sidney, Nebraska
“Great Place & Far Less Expensive than Buena Vista”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

My family and I river rafted the Arkansas River just outside of Buena Vista. After rafting we found that every hotel / motel in Buena Vista was a minimum of $165 per night. An easy 75 mile drive took us to Woodland Park where we found the Country Lodge. With a AAA discount we stayed for less than half of the price of the Buena Vista hotels. Country lodge is a very clean and friendly facility. A GREAT value!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank NebraskaCacher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Naperville, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

I booked four rooms for two nights at $122 and someone walked in off the street while I was checking in and got the same room for $89. I felt like I was being penalized for planning ahead. I talked with the manager and she refunded $22, which didn't even bring one room down to the price the man paid. I really feel taken advantage of.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank customer1236422

Travellers are raving about these Woodland Park hotels

Foster City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

Large room with refrigerator and microwave. Good cold buffet breakfast. Comfortable seating area in lobby. Friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MOBX
antiquebeak
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2011

We happened upon this hotel and needing a place near some attractions decided to stay there. Our experience was so nice we decided to stay another night as well. The property is VERY clean and comes with amenities some of the pricier places (like the Stanley) do not - hair drayer, coffee maker, refrigerator, full length mirror and...*gasp* a bathtub! We stayed on the second floor and had a very nice view, FREE INTERNET within the room (no problems) and enjoyed their patio off the pool area in the evenings. Thebreakfast was OK for something free (I usually eat cereal anyhow) and did include fresh fruit and all kinds of juices. The front desk clerk was VERY helpful and even gave us vouchers for free wine at nearby restauarants. Our stay here was quite pleasant - we even considered a third night but had to move on.......

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank antiquebeak
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Be aware that this facility has a 48 HOUR CANCELLATION POLICY. If you are not positive that you want to stay here, don't make a confirmed reservation. They are not at all flexible about this.

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank plcolorado
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

Let me begin by saying I am rating this property against others in its class: that is, moderately priced motels. Of this class of motels, Country Lodge gets an 'A' in every category.

My mom and I stayed here while visiting my sister over Memorial Day weekend. Woodland Park, Colorado, is not a very large town, so the lodging options are minimal. Country Lodge is a very nice, privately owned property on the western edge of Woodland Park. It is ideally situated for tourists who plan to take day trips to visit the Florissant Fossil Beds, Cripple Creek, and other regional areas of interest. All of the rooms have interior entrances, which I like for security reasons.

Mom and I stayed in a standard 2-queen bed room. The beds were very comfortable, and we were pleasantly surprised to discover the heating/cooling unit was thermostatically controlled, so we were able to quickly set it to a comfortable temperature. The room included several nice amenities, including in-room coffee setup, refrigerator, microwave, and a cabinetry unit with ample storage space for plates, cutlery, snacks, etc. A family on vacation could easily create meals in-room here, if they wanted to. Rounding out the furnishings were a 3-drawer dresser topped with a smallish flat-screen TV, a small, open wardrobe cabinet, and a square table for dining or using the computer. The Country Lodge offers free wi-fi that I found very fast and easy to connect to.

The property also includes a nice-sized indoor pool and hot tub combo that features an adults-only hour in the evening. A beautiful outdoor deck to the west makes a nice place to relax and visit with other guests, read the paper with coffee in the morning, or have a picnic lunch.

I have to say that this is one of the cleanest motels I've ever stayed in. I could not find a single hair in the bathtub. Nothing was dusty. The duvet covers appeared (and smelled) clean and in excellent condition.

The staff were very friendly from the moment we checked in. They were knowledgeable about the area and were able to offer dining suggestions. They had hot coffee and water on tap in the lobby at all times, and when a pot ran out, they immediately re-filled it. They also offer free chocolate chip cookies.

The only negatives I found were as follows. I thought the price was a bit on the high end for what is, after all, a pretty average motel. Then again, we booked at the very beginning of the "high season." In fact, the motel was sold out during our entire stay. And compared to the other options in the area, I don't think the pricing was out of line. Any decent motel in Colorado is relatively expensive in the summer. Nonetheless, I dinged them one star for 'value.'

We never took advantage of the complimentary breakfast because the offerings were very minimal, consisting strictly of cold cereals, danish, toaster waffles, juices, and hot beverages. It really would be nice to see some hot foods included, because there aren't that many cafes in Woodland Park. Especially given the price point of this property, hot breakfast items should be part of the deal.

Also, the maid service was a bit spotty. The first day, the maid did nothing more than make the beds. The bathroom fixtures weren't cleaned, and she didn't clean the coffee maker or leave fresh coffee. In fact, the maid didn't clean the coffee maker the second day, either.

The blackout drapes didn't close completely, so I had to fuss with them every evening to get them to overlap. I would advise bringing a clothespin to solve this problem!

Lastly, the soundproofing isn't very good between rooms. The first morning, I awoke to the sound of the cell phone next door vibrating. I also could clearly understand conversations spoken next door at a volume only slightly above normal. That said, I can't say I had any difficulty sleeping. The guests were generally very quiet -- even the boys' baseball team that was staying on our floor.

All in all, the negatives were minor, and the positives far outweighed them. I not only would stay here again, but I already have plans in the works to do just that. I highly recommend Country Lodge in Woodland Park.

• Stayed May 2011
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank Elizabeth H
austin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

Kids loved the indoor pool and hot tub. Rooms were decent. Very friendly front desk staff. I had no issues when I had to check in early due to feeling ill. Decent breakfast, however, wished they had fresh fruit. Liked the cookies each evening. Would stay here again next time we visit Woodland Park.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodland Park
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
#1 of 10 in Manitou Springs
La Quinta Inn & Suites Colorado Springs South AP
La Quinta Inn & Suites Colorado ...
#24 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Fairfield Inn & Suites Colorado Springs North/Air Force Academy
Fairfield Inn & Suites Colorado ...
#40 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Days Inn Manitou Springs
Days Inn Manitou Springs
#2 of 10 in Manitou Springs
BEST WESTERN PLUS Peak Vista Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN PLUS Peak Vista Inn...
#6 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,157 reviews
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,033 reviews

Been to Woodland Park Country Lodge? Share your experiences!