“Good food better than expected”
Review of Imperial Buffet

Imperial Buffet
Ranked #26 of 66 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Chinese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Meriden, Connecticut
“Good food better than expected”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Fifteen of us went here to celebrate a birthday. After reading some of the previous reviews I was skeptical but to our surprise the food and service were great. They had many choices one of which is my granddaughter's favorite, Crab Legs. Everything was hot ans fresh and the waitstaff was very attentive. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited June 2014

Berlin, Connecticut
“good value for your money”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a good place to get Chinese food. The service is good. the price is right and the food is always fresh and hot. Great variety of Chinese as well as American dishes.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Ron P
Hartford, Connecticut
“cold, dried up food”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Ive been to this buffet several times, because it is near another store that I frequently shop at. Everytime Ive gone here , it gets worse. A few days ago, I spent 13 dollars on lunch, with a soda and a tip. And the food was nasty. They actually had a burnt dried up piece of what looked like cardboard, but was supposed to be pizza. Ok, who eats pizza at a Chinese buffet? But the lo mein, gen tsos, was ice cold. The several other things I tried were tough to chew and cold. And the fish was not cooked thru when I cut into it. FORGET this place. And they have raised their prices too high. For that much money, I would rather go order my food and have it fresh. And it would still be cheaper. TERRIBLE. And when I told the lady there that the food was cold, she just gave me a dirty look.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank marie j
Cromwell, Connecticut
“Tired of being treated like an annoyance!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I don’t write many reviews. So this will probably seem wordy to you experienced reviewers but so be it.
I've been to this buffet dozens of times. The food is exactly what you would expect from any Chinese buffet. If one is visiting a buffet of any kind, one should not be critiquing the food as if they expected gourmet fare. The food at the Imperial buffet has been consistently good for years. I have recommended it to many people. That being said there is one big negative that is always a constant. And after my visit last night, I might be done with them for good.
Most of the wait staff is at best cold and sometimes borderline rude. Occasionally you will find a young person or two with an actual personality and a hint of interest if you as a customer. But that happens very seldom. The employees that replenish the buffet always treat you as if you are an annoyance. They will blindly walk through you if at all possible. The woman who normally attends the front desk could not be more stone like. If ever I/we ask to sit at a certain table, she dismissively waves her hand in disgust as if to say “whatever”. The place is practically empty… Why do they care where I sit?
This being said, I always tip the young people generously. If I eat lunch alone I will usually leave 4 dollars on a 9 or 10 dollar check. If we are in a group, 20-25% is standard. Why not? They are kids cleaning tables and filling water glasses. And a lot of them are nice kids. So until last night I was happy with the tradeoffs. Food I enjoy vs. feeling that most times they are too cold and indifferent to deserve my patronage.
The young man that attended to us last night was rude to the point of being borderline anger inducing. First he tried to tell us to sit in a booth instead of the table we had selected. He was annoyed that there were two of us and the table was set for six. So he had to remove the settings not being used. I explained to him that the place was empty and they were not likely to fill up the other 40 tables before we had left. This was a half booth/ half table and much more comfortable for me to sit in than a booth. He muttered something under his breath as he walked away. Then he immediately started talking loudly to another staff member in his native tongue. This was followed by loud laughing from him and several other employees. Don’t bother calling me paranoid. None of us are stupid.
On the occasion he had to come and remove a dirty plate, he was greeted with a thank you. He ignored this each time and ripped the plate away as if he was pissed off. My friend and I could not believe what we were seeing. And then he had the stones to stand over us after delivering the credit card check receipt. I asked him to come back in a few minutes and he walked away in disgust.
The bottom line is this. I don’t need to be treated like the enemy while I’m trying to enjoy myself. There are a million other places to eat. And the Imperial Buffet has finally turned me from a loyal customer into one of its most sever critics.
Good luck to them.

Staff:45
Food:43
Service:50
Decor:50
As you eat you see a pond of fish you even get to feed them also my cousin had a bee sting they treated him like he was at a clinic AMAZING and recommend this buffet to any looking for a Asian American and Japanese food

• Visited August 2013

Been to Imperial Buffet? Share your experiences!