“Not for Pets or People who need Internet”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bozrah
Odetah Camping Resort
Stratford, Connecticut
“Not for Pets or People who need Internet”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have been to this camping resort 3 times. The first time without pets, the second with a young puppy (2 months old). We had no pet issues on the second trip. The campground is well-kept. In addition to a pool, there is a lake for swimming and boating. The onsite store is stocked with most of the stuff you may need. I couldn't find a large supermarket close by. The campground is very dark at night and a flashlight is needed to walk around safely after dark. On our third visit we were told dogs could not be walked on camp grounds. There is a dog park, but you are not allowed to walk your dog to the park. Instead, the dog has to be driven to it. Therefore, campers without a second vehicle may have difficulty transporting the dog to the park. Dogs are not allowed to bark (night/day). We found a lot of ticks crawling on our dog even though we stayed only one night. (We apply tick repellent monthly). In addition, on all visits, the Internet was as "slow as molasses". Literally sucks! I gave up trying to use it. Was unable to use it for work. I would recommend this campsite for people who do not have pets and do not need Internet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leonie R

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Marlborough, MA
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We wanted to love Odetah. It's close to us, and could be a great last minute getaway. It's right off the highway, so it's convenient. It has most of the amenities you want in a family campground. We tried it based on an article in the Hartford Courant this past summer about glamping. The article mentioned Odetah's poolside massages and food delivered to your camp site. As it turned out, the campground is average. The proximity to the highway which makes for convenient access unfortunately makes for a lot of noisy camp sites. There are lots of sites -- over 200 -- but only about 25 of them are full hookup for short stays. All of the rest of the full hookups are for seasonals. The staff needs development. The nice young guy who escorted us to our site was really helpful, came back with two bundles of wood that we asked for, offered us some other help. However, the next day when we called for another two bundles to be delivered, the girl at the desk at first said that service wasn't available, then wasn't sure of the price, and at the last minute said it could be delivered but we had to order 5 bundles. Later when we requested honey wagon service, we were told it wasn't available until Tuesday (we would be gone by then). There are also only two bath houses in this very large campground, which means a long walk if your site is on the outer edges. But by far the biggest problem with Odetah is it's pet policy. They do not allow you to walk your dog in the camp at all. You need to drive your dog to the dog walk/park area to let it do it's business. We were at the complete opposite end of the park from the dog area. Since the speed limit is understandably 5 mph in the campground, it took us a good 10-15 minutes to get our dog to the park. The park is quite rocky, so it's a bit scary if your dog is a runner...lots to trip over. The fence is not chain link and not very sturdy. The overall effect is that they do not want pets here. They would be better off just stating that than ending up with so many frustrated pet owners (which you can see from the other reviews there are a lot of).

Despite the wacko pet policy and sub par service, we did enjoy our stay. Not sure if we'll be back...there are a lot of other options for camping in southeast CT that are happy to have us and our dog.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank yikessue
Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Spent this past weekend with my sister and kids. Called a few days before arrival and reserved a lake view site. The only reason we wanted to go there was for the lake view. Spoke with a front desk staff who confirmed with me that my requested site was available. Arrival day came and when I arrived I was extremely upset to find out my site was indeed NOT available. Apparently the people previously on the site extended their stay through the weekend and nobody made note in the computer. I was very upset and disappointed because we really were promised that site and wanted the location at the lake. We were offered a refund or one night free which I thought was fair. We decided to pick another site and enjoy anyway. The site we originally were promised was abandoned all weekend! The person's trailer just sat their unoccupied. Very unfortunate! On to the good........the place is very well kept and bathrooms were very clean and modern. The kids loved the trampoline on the lake and the food at the beach shack was good and fairly priced. Not a ton of activites but the kids enjoyed some of them. The boat rentals were fun and the atmosphere is very pretty. The pool was clean but it also wasn't packed with people. The weather was chilly while there. I did hear some traffic noise but not too bad where we were. We were in tents. The place is very hilly, so riding a bike around was a challenge. I would also suggest they do something for their live bands. The stage is a platform trailer. The poor guys were playing in the dark because there were no lights. One more FYI...make sure you leave the campground by check out time otherwise you are charged by the hour after. Never had that policy at any other campground so we were unaware. We knew we had to be off our site by check out but to have to actually leave the grounds is stupid.

Room Tip: Don't stay near check in lodge or you will be climbing up pretty steep hills!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Milford
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Labor Day Weekend-check-in was a breeze, very polite and friendly girl at the front gate. They escort you directly to your site and assist you backing in if needed. So..i started backing into our site #43, and had a lot of trouble because it was slightly uphill and uneven. My wheels on my jeep spun out. The hook ups are shared and located up a small hill. We had to double our hose and electrical cord. We had very poor water pressure and while I was showering, the hot water completely stopped. Our site was a combo of dirt, stone, and grass. It was weathered from the summer season. Our picnic table was beat up. There were chunks of wood missing and all scraped up paint. Our fire pit was a muddy mess. You could obviously see that whenever it rains, the path leads to the fire pit and beyond. There are many really nice things about the resort. Many sites are way more quiet than this section. They are all spread out into different areas. I will definitely be trying other areas in the future. I've always picked this section because it is closest to the dog park. Wifi was spotty in our area. We had food delivered to our site evening. We had to call 10 times to get through. There was a message saying to call the front desk if you couldn't get through. So I did and she said, "they must be really busy so keep trying!" So, when we got through we ordered chicken fingers and a pizza. They arrived in about 30 minutes. Chicken was great but they didn't put in any dipping sauce. The large pizza was huge. Typical pre-made crust, canned mushrooms, they were out of olives, sausage and onions. I think they should by fresh produce from the famers market that they have here every Saturday and really make fresh pizzas!
However, now for my biggest complaint. There is absolutely no reason why this park can't be dog friendly. There are some wonderful places to walk your dog. People who camp tend to be dog lovers. When I go to Normandy Farms in MA, they are super dog friendly. They have a huge dog park, they have dog kennels, dog walkers, hoses to rinse or bath your dog, and everywhere in the park are dog posts with bags and garbage cans. Everyone loves to camp with their dogs!!!! But here, you're not suppose to leave your site with your dog and must drive them, yes drive them, up a dirt path to the dog park.
I really like Odetah and have been coming here for several years. It's close and convenient to home. However, it will always be my second choice unless the rules change. And btw, we even went to Strawberry Park Campground to check it out because they have a new owner and are now very pet friendly. Hopefully, Odetah will follow suit. We love our pets!!!!

Room Tip: Sites near the highway are very noisy, 24/7. Probably casino traffic. Sites A-G? and in that area se...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here and camped for 3 nights. The property is beautiful, they have an awesome water slide/trampoline in the middle of the lake. There is a golf cart tram that comes around periodically. The only downfall is that pets are not allowed off site. You must drive your dogs to the doggie park. I really wish they would reconsider this rule. Other than that, a great place and we will be back!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank NewEnglandMom12
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We travel in a 42' motorhome and made a reservation for a site with 50 amp service. Our reservation confirmation that was emailed to us showed our site (A) and listed the 50 amp service. When we arrived all of our paperwork had Site A printed on it but the person checking us in said that there was a last minute change in the computer and she had to move us to Site G. Assuming that everything was the same, we had no problem with this. We were escorted to our site (which is a nice service) and pulled in to set up. When we went to connect to the electrical service we discovered that it was only 30 amp service which is not adequate for our our motorhome. I called the office and was told that there was nothing they could do because there were no other sites available.

I explained that we were originally assigned to Site A and they confirmed that Site A had 50 amp service. We later discovered that the person in Site A could not make the hill into Site G that was reserved for them so they switched the sites. We would definitely not have objected to this switch if the ammenities were the same but they were not! The office could not offer any solution because they did not have any 50 amp sites available. In the end they offered us a 20% discount for the night and 3 bundles of firewood which they said would be delivered to our site. Since it was already 5 pm and we had traveled here from New York we had no option but to spend the night. After we set up we went to the pond so my son could swim (nice, but small beach area) and when we returned still no firewood. I finally called the office at 7:45 pm to inquire and they apologized for forgetting and sent the wood right out delivering 4 bundles. We do appreciate the discount and the firewood, but this mistake should not have happened and it was a huge inconvenience for us. Switching sites is not a problem with us if the ammenities are the same and people running a campground should fully understand that there is a reason people request and need 50 amp service.

Also important to note is the fact that this campground is very hilly and the campground roads are narrow and twisty making it very difficult for big rigs to maneuver to the full hook up areas of the campground.

They do allow dogs which is fine but seem not to limit breeds as there were two rotweillers at a tent site nearby that were left at the site unattended and barked quite a bit. Our son was nervous about riding his bike in that area and we were concerned about that too.

The sites in the row of full hook up sites we were in were reasonably sized; however, many other parts of the campground were very congested. We were very surprised at how congested this campground was.

On a positive note, they do have a small on site restaurant (really a snack shack) and offer food delivery service to your campsite. We did not try the delivery service but it is a nice ammenity. Our son enjoyed the water trampoline and slide although we felt that the trampoline and slide should have been supervised by an employee for safety reasons.

We have stayed in a lot of campgrounds and were excited that this campground was rated so well but overall we were disappointed. It does not compare at all to places like Lake George RV Resort or Normandy Farms.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DonnaZJ
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

This is the 2nd time my family and I have spent time in this campground. Our experience this time has been poor starting with checkin the staff was very rude to say the least. This year we rented a cabin whom the teenager who brought us to it stated "we just finished cleaning it" let me just say the cabin was Filthy!! As soon as u walk in the cabin it has such a foul odor. I took the broom that was in the room and cleaned the floor 3x and still the floor was dirty. Secondly the fridge was unclean as well. Thirdly the mattresses were hard as a rock so glad I brought an air mattress just in case. Fourth they state on website that there is wifi available with cabin this is absolutely a lie. I tried catching wifi on all my devices not 1 would pick it up. I then proceeded to ask the staff at checkin they were very rude and acted like they could not be bothered with any complaints or questions.. Their answer for it not working was blamed on the weather ( it was a light drizzle outside) she said the wifi was in their building. When asked why advertise that wifi is available in cabins she said its not working because of the weather...as I'm writing this the sun is shining brightly and yet no wifi available. I then check online if the yurts were available to move closer to checkin building the staff states rudely its not available. I then state online it shows that the yurt is available she then rudely answers on her end it doesn't so it's not. At that point I end the call. If it wasn't for my kids wanting to stay we would be packing our bags. The cabins are not worth the price you pay and this campground needs to invest in better friendlier and caring staff.

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bozrah
Comfort Suites- Norwich
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,260 reviews

Been to Odetah Camping Resort? Share your experiences!