“Good time for family; some downsides”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bozrah
Odetah Camping Resort
Danbury, Connecticut
“Good time for family; some downsides”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our second year staying in a yurt at Odetah. Let me start with the positives - though they don't show pictures on their website, their lake has a huge inflatable slide with water trampolines on both sides. My kids spent hours on those. Convenient location just off highway with plenty of amenities nearby. Yurt was clean and comfortable, and came with a fridge, microwave, fan, and light. Pool was well maintained and nice. Store was well stocked and reasonably priced. Staff were friendly. Bathrooms were well maintained and showers were free and hot. Overall, my family had a great time, especially the children.
The downsides? The wifi only worked for us at the lake area, not near our yurt. This is a big deal for us as we own our own business and must be able to check e-mails 24/7. Service at the store and snack shack at beach is painfully slow. On Saturday, we waited close to 40 minutes for our lunch (pizza and chicken fingers). On Sunday, they were out of pizza and fries, out of several slush puppy flavors, then out of medium size cups. Downside of yurt location is that you hear the band playing from the lake. The band ended at 10:30 though, ahead of the 11:00 quiet hour time. The pool is filled with young people after 10 and they were LOUD until well after 11. Pool quiet hours are supposed to start at 10; that is clearly not enforced.

Room Tip: If you have young kids who go to bed early, avoid staying near the beach or pool - noise goes until...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AmyBGS

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent this past Memorial Day Weekend at Odetah. The check-in was a little timely, but the staff was pleasant and we were escorted right to our site. Our boys utilized the basketball courts for pick-up games, the field for some ultimate frisbee, and had a great time on the trampolines and slide in the middle of the lake. The staff at the store were friendly and patient with our boys who probably visited 3 or 4 times a day. They delivered our 4 bundles of wood, which was super convenient. We listened to the DJ on Friday, the live band on Saturday, and played trivia on Sunday. My husband appreciated the televisions at the snack shack to catch a game while our kids swam in the lake. The showers were hot, clean, and free. I'm not sure if they changed the rules about the dogs, but there were dogs all over the place and I'm sure I saw dogs being walked by our site often. We don't have a dog, but certainly don't mind them. We really enjoyed our stay at Odetah. Overall the staff was friendly, the prices at the store and cafe were very reasonable, I didn't feel like we were being gouged at all. The only minor complaint I might have is I do enjoy more private sites. Ours was wooded on one side, but then completly open to the site next to us. They essentially had their back to us, but I still prefer to be on a private site. Nothing that would stop us from going back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BekC3
Higganum, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just got back from a memorial day weekend trip, have been here multiple times in the past and even were seasonal one year. On this trip we found the office staff to be unhelpful and unfriendly. A new edition to the campground is a fitness center only available to seasonal patrons,we were not allowed to use it, even though no one else was using the facility. When I inquired in the office they just looked at me blankly. The internet connection is non-existent. We did not come with children, so the activities did not pertain to us. We paid a good amount of money for a parking spot. High cost campground, a resort it is not.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Betsy K

Travellers are raving about these Bozrah hotels

Stratford, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have been to this camping resort 3 times. The first time without pets, the second with a young puppy (2 months old). We had no pet issues on the second trip. The campground is well-kept. In addition to a pool, there is a lake for swimming and boating. The onsite store is stocked with most of the stuff you may need. I couldn't find a large supermarket close by. The campground is very dark at night and a flashlight is needed to walk around safely after dark. On our third visit we were told dogs could not be walked on camp grounds. There is a dog park, but you are not allowed to walk your dog to the park. Instead, the dog has to be driven to it. Therefore, campers without a second vehicle may have difficulty transporting the dog to the park. Dogs are not allowed to bark (night/day). We found a lot of ticks crawling on our dog even though we stayed only one night. (We apply tick repellent monthly). In addition, on all visits, the Internet was as "slow as molasses". Literally sucks! I gave up trying to use it. Was unable to use it for work. I would recommend this campsite for people who do not have pets and do not need Internet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Leonie R
Marlborough, MA
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We wanted to love Odetah. It's close to us, and could be a great last minute getaway. It's right off the highway, so it's convenient. It has most of the amenities you want in a family campground. We tried it based on an article in the Hartford Courant this past summer about glamping. The article mentioned Odetah's poolside massages and food delivered to your camp site. As it turned out, the campground is average. The proximity to the highway which makes for convenient access unfortunately makes for a lot of noisy camp sites. There are lots of sites -- over 200 -- but only about 25 of them are full hookup for short stays. All of the rest of the full hookups are for seasonals. The staff needs development. The nice young guy who escorted us to our site was really helpful, came back with two bundles of wood that we asked for, offered us some other help. However, the next day when we called for another two bundles to be delivered, the girl at the desk at first said that service wasn't available, then wasn't sure of the price, and at the last minute said it could be delivered but we had to order 5 bundles. Later when we requested honey wagon service, we were told it wasn't available until Tuesday (we would be gone by then). There are also only two bath houses in this very large campground, which means a long walk if your site is on the outer edges. But by far the biggest problem with Odetah is it's pet policy. They do not allow you to walk your dog in the camp at all. You need to drive your dog to the dog walk/park area to let it do it's business. We were at the complete opposite end of the park from the dog area. Since the speed limit is understandably 5 mph in the campground, it took us a good 10-15 minutes to get our dog to the park. The park is quite rocky, so it's a bit scary if your dog is a runner...lots to trip over. The fence is not chain link and not very sturdy. The overall effect is that they do not want pets here. They would be better off just stating that than ending up with so many frustrated pet owners (which you can see from the other reviews there are a lot of).

Despite the wacko pet policy and sub par service, we did enjoy our stay. Not sure if we'll be back...there are a lot of other options for camping in southeast CT that are happy to have us and our dog.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank yikessue
Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Spent this past weekend with my sister and kids. Called a few days before arrival and reserved a lake view site. The only reason we wanted to go there was for the lake view. Spoke with a front desk staff who confirmed with me that my requested site was available. Arrival day came and when I arrived I was extremely upset to find out my site was indeed NOT available. Apparently the people previously on the site extended their stay through the weekend and nobody made note in the computer. I was very upset and disappointed because we really were promised that site and wanted the location at the lake. We were offered a refund or one night free which I thought was fair. We decided to pick another site and enjoy anyway. The site we originally were promised was abandoned all weekend! The person's trailer just sat their unoccupied. Very unfortunate! On to the good........the place is very well kept and bathrooms were very clean and modern. The kids loved the trampoline on the lake and the food at the beach shack was good and fairly priced. Not a ton of activites but the kids enjoyed some of them. The boat rentals were fun and the atmosphere is very pretty. The pool was clean but it also wasn't packed with people. The weather was chilly while there. I did hear some traffic noise but not too bad where we were. We were in tents. The place is very hilly, so riding a bike around was a challenge. I would also suggest they do something for their live bands. The stage is a platform trailer. The poor guys were playing in the dark because there were no lights. One more FYI...make sure you leave the campground by check out time otherwise you are charged by the hour after. Never had that policy at any other campground so we were unaware. We knew we had to be off our site by check out but to have to actually leave the grounds is stupid.

Room Tip: Don't stay near check in lodge or you will be climbing up pretty steep hills!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Milford
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Labor Day Weekend-check-in was a breeze, very polite and friendly girl at the front gate. They escort you directly to your site and assist you backing in if needed. So..i started backing into our site #43, and had a lot of trouble because it was slightly uphill and uneven. My wheels on my jeep spun out. The hook ups are shared and located up a small hill. We had to double our hose and electrical cord. We had very poor water pressure and while I was showering, the hot water completely stopped. Our site was a combo of dirt, stone, and grass. It was weathered from the summer season. Our picnic table was beat up. There were chunks of wood missing and all scraped up paint. Our fire pit was a muddy mess. You could obviously see that whenever it rains, the path leads to the fire pit and beyond. There are many really nice things about the resort. Many sites are way more quiet than this section. They are all spread out into different areas. I will definitely be trying other areas in the future. I've always picked this section because it is closest to the dog park. Wifi was spotty in our area. We had food delivered to our site evening. We had to call 10 times to get through. There was a message saying to call the front desk if you couldn't get through. So I did and she said, "they must be really busy so keep trying!" So, when we got through we ordered chicken fingers and a pizza. They arrived in about 30 minutes. Chicken was great but they didn't put in any dipping sauce. The large pizza was huge. Typical pre-made crust, canned mushrooms, they were out of olives, sausage and onions. I think they should by fresh produce from the famers market that they have here every Saturday and really make fresh pizzas!
However, now for my biggest complaint. There is absolutely no reason why this park can't be dog friendly. There are some wonderful places to walk your dog. People who camp tend to be dog lovers. When I go to Normandy Farms in MA, they are super dog friendly. They have a huge dog park, they have dog kennels, dog walkers, hoses to rinse or bath your dog, and everywhere in the park are dog posts with bags and garbage cans. Everyone loves to camp with their dogs!!!! But here, you're not suppose to leave your site with your dog and must drive them, yes drive them, up a dirt path to the dog park.
I really like Odetah and have been coming here for several years. It's close and convenient to home. However, it will always be my second choice unless the rules change. And btw, we even went to Strawberry Park Campground to check it out because they have a new owner and are now very pet friendly. Hopefully, Odetah will follow suit. We love our pets!!!!

Room Tip: Sites near the highway are very noisy, 24/7. Probably casino traffic. Sites A-G? and in that area se...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bozrah
Comfort Suites- Norwich
#4 of 6 in Norwich
Courtyard Norwich
Courtyard Norwich
#5 of 6 in Norwich

Been to Odetah Camping Resort? Share your experiences!