“Don't Bother...”

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't Bother...”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Do not bother. I've had BBQ all over the US (best in Richmond, VA area). I'm not sure where the BB shack owners are from (north of the Ukraine?) but, they should take a road trip down south to get some, any, technique. Let's just touch in the bacon...served "rare" and cold with shiny grease puddles. I was shocked that no staff caught these as they were plated and served. Definitely sums up the overall quality of the shack. The homemade cheese fries/wedges (with "rare" bacon) were multiple temperatures. You'd bite into a fry and it would be stone cold but the part you were holding was piping hot. Definitely reheated via microwave. The cheese for the sauce wasn't the oozing kind (like a Velveeta based one). Rather it was gummy and seemed to be drying as we searched for hot, crisp wedges. The burger was a tiny commercial-sized patty with four times as much bread. The chicken didn't even cover the whole bun and the chef didn't take the time to pound it a bit so it was lopsided and the bread slid. Overall, go home and nuke Oscar Meyer's bacon, grill a chicken breast and slop on some Billy Ray's BBQ sauce. You'll be better off. And I really, really wanted some good ole BBQ. On the Shoreline. Alas.

• Visited March 2014

“Needs work”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Came in for a casual dinner with husband and 15 year old, while the Caesar salad arrived quickly and with a limp Parmesan chip, it took over 30 mins for the burger to arrive and my husband was still left waiting for his crab cake. Waitress was less than helpful. One and done.

• Visited March 2014
Branford, Connecticut
“Best Burgers in CT”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Been here 4 times. Loved everything. I have to say that the expansion of the menu was a welcome thing. Now there are more choices for lighter eaters, and more kinds of burgers. Fries are improved, but those who expect tasteless crunchy fries like McDonalds might not appreciate them. They are definitely "frites" - they taste like potatoes. The sloppy joe and the pesto chicken sandwich are also awesome, and the beer list is the best outside of New Haven. Have not tried the appetizers, always saving my appetite for the sandwich and a shared dessert so I won't comment on those.
It's a family friendly restaurant and bar, so it is noisy. But when people are having a good time, they get loud!

• Visited February 2014
North Branford, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great burgers and beer”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The BB Shack is one of a kind. They have an excellent choice of beers - enough to satisfy any palate. The burgers are delicious and made to order with care.

Visited March 2014
Guilford, Connecticut
“Second time changed my mind”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I wrote a negative review of the BB shack about a month ago. I was contacted by the owner and manager, who apolized and asked me to give it another try. Any one can have an off night, so I went back with my husband and kids. I had the grilled chicken pesto sandwich and can honestly say it was delicious. The chicken was moist, the pesto was excellent, but the star of the sandwich was the smoked mozzarella. I would definitely order it again. The rest of my family all had burgers and all enjoyed them very much. The kids had deserts and all enjoyed them as well. I'm glad I gave them another chance.

• Visited December 2013