“still good but what did they do to the water park?”
Review of Lake Compounce

Lake Compounce
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 402 acres of fun, Lake Compounce is the oldest continuously operating amusement park in North America, welcoming families since 1846. Lake Compounce has ten cozy catering pavilions and plenty of room to host your next birthday, party, family reunion, and corporate event! Lake Compounce combines unique and exciting thrill rides and coasters for all ages with a full-sized water park—all for one low price. As the park continues to delight families from all around the New England area and beyond, the balance of evolution and tradition continues to play an important role at the nation’s first amusement park.
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We have been taking our kids to Lake Compounce for 13 years now, and its always a great day. We used to spend half the day in the kiddie area when the kids were small, but now we split the time between the big rides and the water park. The rides are great: the Wildcat and Boulder Dash roller coasters, the Down time, Zoomerang, Ghost Hunt and Ferris Wheels kept us busy most of the morning. After lunch (I don't recommend the pizza, think Chuck E. Cheese), we went to the water park to ride on my favorite tube ride ever, the Lake Plunge...a 40 second ride down a twisting tube (single or even better double tube), that empties right into Lake Compounce itself! There is also a triple threat tube ride that empties into a pool, and a giant family tube ride called Mammoth Falls. My son and I ran to towards the Lake plunge, and to our horror---It was gone!!!!the triple tube ride gone!! The Lake Plunge --GONE!!! It was replaced by a racing tube that my son said was lame, and way further down , a second wave pool that was supposed to have huge waves, but didn.t. They completely redid the lakefront beach and cut the size in half, and instead of a rope at the outer edge, it was surrounded by a wooden dock--not very inviting at all. I'm not sure how the water park will turn out, but what they have done so far is very disappointing.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"whole family"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed 29 August 2013

My Wife, daughter and I went to Lake Compounce Last week (August 19th) and we had a blast. The park was clean, not too crowded and had something for everyone. My daughter is 7 years old and at first was a little tentative with some of the water rides, but after a while she was right in there enjoying herself. The park has a perfect mix of Water and Amusement Park. There are games of chance and age appropriate sections of the park. The park is the right size, where it is not overwhelming to get to anything. You can cover the whole park very easily in one day.
I would recommend the wooden roller coaster "Boulder Dash". It is an old school wooden roller coaster that really flies. It travels at speed of up to 70 miles per hour or so they say, but it feels faster. remember, it's all wooden and the ride is wild! I loved it.
My wife daughter and I had a great time and are looking forward to going back. We purchased tickets online and save some money by doing so. You can also purchase food coupons online and I would suggest you do. You will save a lot more money if you do rather than paying at the park. By the way..Soda is free at the park. Yes, Free Soda. At first I didn't believe it but it is true. Free Soda. (the food is a little more expensive but the soda is free) This is why I suggest purchasing the food vouchers on line. All in all it was a great day. All the ride lines moved at a good Pace, the park was clean and the food was good. I would definitely return. We are making plans for next year..

Reviewed 25 August 2013

I would not go here again water smelled of piss most rides was nasty dirty . Only ten rides for bigger kids . Staff are very rude parking was A joke Six flags is so much better Don't go here you will be very unhappy my son 11 wanted to leave early .

5  Thank Jonny B
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Went this past Tuesday - first time - bought daily tickets online - saved a nice chunk of money.

Upgraded to preferred parking on site - if it's busy this is a good idea - saves you a lot of time and hassle for ~$8 more.

Park is really nice - small, quaint - it was busy but didn't feel busy if that makes sense.

Water park is great for all ages - lots of rides for older and younger - could use a few more exciting water slides in my opinion though. But well more than normal for younger kids.

Rides area was good also - good variety for a smaller park. Had a very good time.

Park was very clean - better than expected. Staff was very friendly and well trained.

Food choices were at par - could certainly use some more choices - quality was off.

But the free pepsi product fountains were well placed and a nice touch.

Would certainly go back.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We arrived at the park just as it opened and spent the entire day here. We started off with the train ride to get a look around the park. Nice opening ride. We then did some of the kids rides which mine really liked. My son fell in love with the swings and got on so many times it made my wife sick. The water park was cold, very cold, but the kids still had a great time. We opted for a locker rental which was only $10 for the day, a great bargain. The food at the park was better than most of the food you get at an amusement park. Put this one on your list for sure, don't miss it.

1  Thank bnelson77

Been to Lake Compounce? Share your experiences!