“The best kept secret in the Northeast!”
Review of Lake Compounce

Lake Compounce
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Bristol
More attraction details
Owner description: With over 402 acres of fun, Lake Compounce is the oldest continuously operating amusement park in North America, welcoming families since 1846. Lake Compounce has ten cozy catering pavilions and plenty of room to host your next birthday, party, family reunion, and corporate event! Lake Compounce combines unique and exciting thrill rides and coasters for all ages with a full-sized water park—all for one low price. As the park continues to delight families from all around the New England area and beyond, the balance of evolution and tradition continues to play an important role at the nation’s first amusement park.
Reviewed 4 September 2013

If you live in the NYC tri-state area, forget about the long lines and high ticket prices at Great Adventure in NJ. Go to Lake Compounce in CT instead. I went with my wife and 2 kids, ages 11 and 13, and we all had a great time. We had also gone about 4 years ago. The park is clean and well-maintained and definitely worth the trip. You can even buy your tickets online and save a couple of bucks. Lake Compounce is divided into a water park area and a dry rides area, with the notable exception of the "Saw Mill Plunge" Log Flume which is located in the dry area. Boulder Dash and Wildcat are rated as among the BEST wooden roller coasters in the world. The Zoomerang is a great steel roller coaster with a 125' drop, loops and twists, going both forwards and backwards! The Rev-O-Lution and Thunder N' Lightning are two other great newer thrill rides. They also have a kiddle area with plenty of rides for your little tykes. The rides in the water park area are the typical tubes, slides, lazy river and wave pool --- nothing extraordinary. Just good clean fun. Be sure to bring a change of clothes, of course. And BTW, they require shoes and shirts in the dry area. They won't let you on a "dry ride" without a shirt. My daughter wore a 2 piece bikini and they would not let her on the Log Flume. Go figure!
Believe it or not, drinks are free in the park. Yes, free Pepsi everywhere! The food is the usual overpriced burgers, hot dogs, fries, etc. We brought our own sandwiches and chips from home.
We went on a weekday in August and the lines were very short. We were able to go on some rides 2 and 3 times. This place is definitely worth the trip. It may not be as big as Great Adventure or have as many big rides, but it also doesn't have the 45+ minute lines either.

All reviews
in 26 reviews
"lazy river"
in 28 reviews

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had a great time with the entire family. From grandparents all the way down to the grandbabies! I also appreciated the great accomodations for my husband who was bound to a wheelchair that day due to a spranged ankle which occurred the day before. Free drinks were also a pleasant surprise!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had a lot of fun with the whole group when we went to Lake Compounce. It was a bit pricey but if it's a once in a while thing then it's not so bad. Be prepared to get wet and bring a change of clothes if you are staying into the evening.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

This park has been on my bucket list for years. We went here the Sunday before Labor Day and we were so happy with the experience that we are going to buy season passes next year. They had rides for all levels of adventure. They ranged from a loop coaster to the fastest wooden roller coaster I've ever ridden , to kiddie boat rides and family rafting/log rides. The food was decent and we paid $34 for a family of four. They give free Pepsi drinks and water all the time. There is a small water park with some slides and the crowd was small. If I was forced to give a downside, it would be paying $39 for an adult on top of $8 for parking.

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We have been taking our kids to Lake Compounce for 13 years now, and its always a great day. We used to spend half the day in the kiddie area when the kids were small, but now we split the time between the big rides and the water park. The rides are great: the Wildcat and Boulder Dash roller coasters, the Down time, Zoomerang, Ghost Hunt and Ferris Wheels kept us busy most of the morning. After lunch (I don't recommend the pizza, think Chuck E. Cheese), we went to the water park to ride on my favorite tube ride ever, the Lake Plunge...a 40 second ride down a twisting tube (single or even better double tube), that empties right into Lake Compounce itself! There is also a triple threat tube ride that empties into a pool, and a giant family tube ride called Mammoth Falls. My son and I ran to towards the Lake plunge, and to our horror---It was gone!!!!the triple tube ride gone!! The Lake Plunge --GONE!!! It was replaced by a racing tube that my son said was lame, and way further down , a second wave pool that was supposed to have huge waves, but didn.t. They completely redid the lakefront beach and cut the size in half, and instead of a rope at the outer edge, it was surrounded by a wooden dock--not very inviting at all. I'm not sure how the water park will turn out, but what they have done so far is very disappointing.

Been to Lake Compounce? Share your experiences!