“Do not stay here.”
Review of Newbury Inn

Newbury Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brookfield
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Online reservation useless. Reservation never went through despite several confirmation e-mails. I was told room unavailable, and could get a different room for more money then originally reserved. The attendant would not look at my reservation that I was showing here and kept saying it's not in the system. Well, that's not my fault. I'm showing the proof that I made the reservation weeks ago, and the price, etc. The response given was "Well, it's not our fault either..." which to me means "Well, that's not our fault, it's yours." She said that I must have "not clicked the OK button or something..." and said "For future reference, you should call the hotel to make the reservation." Then why offer online reservations???

I traveled 6 hours with a toddler to get there in the rain, then was met with this. I was forced to take a different room with 2 full sized beds when I reserved a room with 1 queen sized bed. I made that reservation because I don't fit in a full sized bed... I'm too tall. The room was more expensive as well. The room smelled of being a smoking room, and was in need of repair (cracked/stained drywall and wallpaper, half the light switches and power outlets not functioning). The fridge smelled of mold, appeared to be older than I am, and didn't work anyway. The heater/AC unit made horrible sounds when using it, forcing me to leave it off. I actually had to break open 2 car air fresheners to mask the smell of smoke in the room.

The WiFi was free, and worked better than most hotels I've stayed at. And the beds themselves appeared to be clean, though the rest of the room was not. The location was very convenient for where I was visiting in the area. So good marks for those few things. But the reservation issue and status of the room was unacceptable. I visit the area a lot, and will not be staying at this hotel again. I would rather stay 20 minutes further away from my destination than to stay in this hotel again. And I am a very tolerant person when it comes to these kinds of issues. Having worked in the customer service field before, the policy of "The customer is always right..." does not apply at this hotel apparently. I had the proof of making the reservation and you have the nerve to say it's my fault it didn't go through into the system using the website that YOU use and that represents YOUR business.

Room Tip: Choose one at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Dan K
Bennardo, Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Feedback is very important to me. We apologize for the inconvenience that occurred during your stay. Please visit us again when in the area and I will make sure your stay will be perfect. Please call us directly when booking your reservation.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We have pets and are always looking for places that will take them that are clean, comfortable and will not cost a lot extra. This hotel meets the bill. Marriott and other chains charge $100 per stay, which is not bad if you are there for a week, but it is too pricy for a single night. Newbury Inn charges $10 per pet for the night. The room was clean and relatively comfortable. The rolls in the morning tasted like they were day old. The staff was friendly and helpful. The responded quickly to emails and were interested in feedback. My impression is that they are trying very hard to attract a clientele. They are a way off the beaten path and there has been a lot of new hotels built in the Danbury area over the last 10 years, so they have a lot of competition. We stayed at the La Quinta in Danbury the last time through and it was tired and had insufficient parking. We decided to try the Newbury Inn, it was slightly better than the La Quinta so we will probably stay there in the future if we are looking for a room in the Danbury area.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Bennardo, General Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

The staff and I would like to thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and also to thank you for your kind comments. The Staff and I take great pride in our hotel. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at the Newbury Inn. I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Booked Jacuzzi suite for weekend getaway with my husband. Received a phone call at 9:37 p.m. the night before my reservation telling me the Jacuzzi rooms were "overbooked" and unavailable. I was told I should have called the hotel to confirm. This is 2014 where everyone books rooms online as I did. I ended up scrambling to find another room at a different hotel, and will NEVER EVER return to the Newbury Inn! Beware if you book there ......

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa N
Bennardo, Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

I want to apologize for any inconvenience that occurred when booking your reservation on line. . I looked into the matter when you booked on line and there was a problem with their reservation system. I hope that when in the area again to email me and I will personally take care of your reservation.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Perfect place to stay when visiting the area. The staff is extremely nice and helpful. The room looked newly updated and clean. Breakfast was included and they had a nice variety of food to choose from.

I would recommend the Inn to anyone visiting the area. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I liked staying in the main building.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Bennardo, Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind words about our hotel. We take great pride in our rooms and service. Thank you again and hope when in the area again you will visit us.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was a true dump in every way.
The shower had mold in it.
The front desk receptionist was extremely rude in that upon my husband and I arriving..she insisted upon our giving her our credit card. There was no professional greeting.
We regret staying here.
The breakfast consisted of stale bagels and watered down oj. ..shouldbe advertised as a snack..it was a trashy dump of a mmotel experience we will soon like to forget forever!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Sataya
Bennardo, Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for staying with us and also for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our inn. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I have stayed here about 3-5 days a week for the last few months, as a regular traveling business. I've stayed at quiet a few hotels/inn's but this one surpasses the average. Very friendly staff, and warm welcoming smiles. Very, very clean and reasonably priced! What really separates this place from the average is the staff; I had to spend Thanksgiving away from my family and they had a sign that said "We're not just a hotel, this is a family." and that's exactly how they made me feel.
Thank you for your service, look forward to returning next week.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Bennardo, Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Newbury Inn. and for being such a loyal guest. I am happy it feels like family when you visit us! We take great pride in our property and our staff. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Newbury Inn

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have stayed at this motel a couple of weeks each year for 10 years. Very comfortable bedding. Quite and friendly. This is a nice place to overnight or stay if you are working in the area. My biggest complaint is the TV. They are nice LCD TV's but it takes forever for the picture to display when you change the channel. Great coffee, bagels and muffins in the morning.

Room Tip: The suites out back are very nice but a little expensive for where it is.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Bennardo, General Manager at Newbury Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. . Your feedback is important to us. The staff and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Newbury Inn, Brookfield, CT. Please visit us again when in the area.

Regional GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookfield
Homestead Inn
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bethel/Danbury
Days Inn Bethel - Danbury
La Quinta Inn & Suites Danbury
Holiday Inn Express & Suites

Been to Newbury Inn? Share your experiences!