“Beauty in design, views and experience”

Maya Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nax
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We loved our three days in the beautiful Maya Boutique. The sense of artistry permeating the rooms, the warmth of the hosts and the awesome views made it an exceptional place to stay. We loved our accommodations, the charming town Nax and the many opportunities for hiking and sites in the area. A great Alpine experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 August 2014

The experience was just wonderful. The whole place and the owners just amazed us every day. It started with the hotel walls being insulated with straw and continued with traditional Swiss hay soup for dinner. If you are looking for enviromentalistic and culinary experience in the middle of the Swiss alps this is the place to be. Only staying at this place was an experience to remember and you still have the mountains to explore.
Filip et. al.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor have magnificent views
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Eventhough we prefered our stay last year, when Lisa and Louis were on holiday, we still enjoyed our stay at the Maya Boutique Hotel.

We like:
- the cosy atmosphere in the building made of straw
- the quality of the beddings
- the cleaness
- the facilities and comfort included in the room rate (sauna, mini bar, coffee machine)
- the hotel's situation near numerous MTB and hiking trails
- the dining room, very cosy, beautiful view

We regret:
- the owners stifness not allowing us have breakfast before 8am in order to complete our MTB Grand Raid tour (they suggested we should go to the bakery!)
- not being able to have diner at the hotel because already fully booked before even being informed or offered the possibility to do so

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
MayaBoutiqueHotel, Propriétaire at Maya Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Dear L.,
Thank you very much for posting your review and the nice comments about our Boutique Hôtel. We are eager to improve our services constantly.
We are sorry to read that you felt stiffness from Louis and me. We are personally always putting all our efforts to make our host’s stay an unforgettable experience and we did our utmost trying to satisfy your demands.
We apologize again for not having been able to serve breakfast one hour before the planned schedule on the first day of your stay. You asked us at ten o’clock the night before and we explained to you that the next morning we had an early photo shooting in our breakfast room which made it impossible for us to satisfy your demand. However, we proposed early breakfast for free at any another day of your stay, but you declined. On your question if there would be any other place open at seven in the morning we informed you that the bakery would be open at this time of the day.

Please note that you had breakfast after closing time on all other days and we extended our breakfast service just for you an extra hour without any extra charge. We regret you don’t appreciate our flexibility for breakfast times.

Regarding the diners, I am really surprised by your comment. Our restaurant is a very popular place. That is why it is highlighted on our website and on your booking confirmation that reservation is necessary. Moreover, I personally called you on the phone two days prior to your arrival to ask you if you would like to reserve a table during your stay. You called me back the next day to decline my offer. Upon arrival we asked you again and you told us you had late lunch and would tell us if you would eat at any other day. You and you partner gave us the impression of getting annoyed by our questions so we decided to let go. When finally you asked me again at ten at night to book a table on your last day, of course our restaurant was fully booked by then.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

When my environmentalist husband found Maya during his search for an idyllic place to stay in the Swiss mountains, his first description to me was that, "It is a place made of straw!" Visions of a huffing and puffing wolf came to mind but that was quickly dispelled when I saw the beautiful photos of the hotel, it's surroundings, and the fresh, modern rooms. My vision of this inn was blown away when we arrived. An eco-friendly hotel, the owners use local ingredients for everything. Not only were the views from our room, the breakfast and dinner areas and the outdoor barrel sauna, breathtaking, but the quiet, serene environment is a treasure to behold. Lisa and Louis go out of their way to make sure you are happy. Your stay not only allows the use of the unique barrel sauna (see my photos of the sauna below) but it also includes delicious breakfasts of eggs, freshly baked whole grain breads, homemade jams, cheeses, etc. Also, there's a Nespresso maker in the room, free goodies in the minibar, and amazing fresh fruit at the front desk -- we were fortunate to be there at the height of apricot season. After hiking in the mountains we were always delighted to return to our room, the sauna and dinner. The shower has the largest shower head I've ever seen. My husband is a vegetarian and Louis more than accommodated him. You must try the "hay soup," despite it's name it is to die for!! On the nights that their restaurant was not open, Lisa and Louis helped us find wonderful dining options with fabulous food and amazing views. If you prefer a large, bustling hotel in a touristy town in Valais go to Zermatt; if you prefer a calm and gorgeous off the beaten path (but still close to hiking spots) type of place to stay go for Maya.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

So much you need to escape stress and daily routine:
- ideally located off the track, quietness, charming environment, full panel of sports activities nearby,
- breathtaking view fostering serenity,
- Lisa and Louis (owners) only concerned with your wellbeing from welcome to check out,
- allround comfort and friendly atmosphere up to exacting expectation,
Highly recommended for travelers striving for good spirit and renewed energy,
Not suited for snobbish resorts customers.
We'll definitely keep this place in our mind for another visit remembering the all too short happy days we spent with Lisa & Co.

Room Tip: Travelers can rely on perfect accommodation. Comfort & mountain view guaranteed.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The best place in my eyes to stay in the Valais area. It’s close to a lot of things to do within the Valais area. Public transport is not the best form of transport out here so having a car is a must. The drive up the side of the mountain’s is great. Well I loved it my wife was not so impressed when I stopped close to the edge for pictures.
We chose to come here as we had seen the making of the hotel on TV and thought this is a must to try out. We got there after a long drive from Germany and Lisa and Louis greeted us warmly and quickly checked us in. Lisa asked if we were staying for dinner and we said yes. I will admit that we had not looked up on Tripadvisor about the hotel. Dinner was amazingly simple and great. Hay Soup (Louis this should be the specialty of the Straw Hotel) was great, Sage Risotto was really good and a LAVA Cake dessert to die for. Now I am the cook in our family and Louis topped me with the Lava cake.. The local wines are wonderful and I can highly recommend them. The rooms are really wonderful and comfortable with a gorgeous of the mountains, the balcony is large and relaxing. We slept very well and it was so quiet. If you are someone who does not like the silence this may not be for you, but Valais has a lot to offer so you may do it anyway. Breakfast was from the local area and good, Louis and Lisa will make fresh eggs for you. The Jams were all homemade and good. We did several walks (I hate walking but the are and town were so interesting) recommend by Louis which were wonderful and checked out the castle below. On Friday there is a great market going on and we wandered around that for a few hours. Dinner we had in a restaurant (Le Trappeur in Mase) recommended by Lisa who made us reservations right away. Which was good as the place was packed. At dinner we decided to stay an extra night. The next night Louis cooked a great dinner and we had a wonderful evening. We feel the price is about right for Switzerland and the Valais area. If you stay there I highly recommend stay for dinner if they have it. They have started a crowd funding drive to get a Sauna onsite which I think is a great idea. I did pledge a bit of money. A great experience and I can only recommend it both the hotel and Lisa and Louis make the experience worth it.

Room Tip: all rooms are pretty much the same.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I was a little worried that the reviews were too good to be true but I have to echo all of the sentiments expressed by everyone else. The Maya is a little eco-friendly hotel up on the side of a mountain with a beautiful view of the alps, with incredibly welcoming owners. The rooms are gorgeous and the food was excellent, everything makes use of local materials and ingredients and the hotel is insulated with bales of hay. It has been used as a case study for green-building and I really hope others take their example! In spite of unconventional building materials the place is also very modern and luxurious, for those who are worried that they would have had to sacrifice such things somehow they certainly did not.

Room Tip: Each room is made from a different kind of local wood and has different art by local artists on disp...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nax
Hotel Nendaz 4 Vallees & Spa
#2 of 111 in Zermatt
Hotel Magrappe
Hotel Magrappe
#1 of 3 in Veysonnaz

Been to Maya Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!