“Had high hopes....”
Review of Chamard Vineyards

Chamard Vineyards
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Clinton
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The word that came to mind after reading many reviews of Chamard Vineyards was "inconsistent". However, I chose to visit with an open mind and form an opinion based on our experience at the bistro. My husband and I walked the grounds before our 4pm reservation and were surprised at the expanse of the actual growing area. I am sure it is beautiful when the vines are alive with leaves and fruit. We arrived at the bistro a few minutes after 4 and were asked to wait a few more minutes as the party at our table was just leaving. No problem...while waiting I heard the host tell an inquiring guest that the bistro was filled for the entire evening. The tasting room had live music and was extremely crowded even at that hour. We were shown to our table, and our waiter was friendly and helpful with choosing a wine. He told us to take our time, no rush, relax and enjoy our evening. We did enjoy the atmosphere and the food--the butternut and French onion soups were delicious, as was the burger and the grilled flatbread: the wine less so. As we were finishing our wine, the waiter came over and informed us that we had to leave in 5 min., as our table was reserved again at 5:30. We were put off by that, as a couple 2 tables away from us were seated well before we were and were still sitting at their table, finished and talking, while we were being ushered out. In addition, the table next to us had been empty for awhile. The final note to our experience was when my husband finished his last sip of wine, and found sediment at the bottom of the glass! We have to agree with a few other reviewers, the wines are overpriced for the quality, and all guests should be treated with the same respect.

2  Thank Sally M

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Lets go to the winery for lunch! Would not think so but what a nice lunch these guys served. Grass fed burger was awesome, my wife had the grill cheese which was done just right. Both came with nice salads, and had wine too! Next were going for Diner.

2  Thank corrinesdad
Reviewed 30 October 2013

No tours available but pretty vineyard and gardens. Wine tasting is reasonable, 5 for $10 without the glass. Glasses are expensive. Nice selection of wines. Tasted 5 reds. Liked 3 of the 5. Knowledgeable server knew about each wine and explained them very well.

1  Thank NjYankeefan
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I hadn’t been to this winery in about a year so it was really nice to visit once again. The property is beautiful and they now have a bistro where you can get lunch. We had a nice lunch there, they use lots of local ingredients in their lunches. The salad was great, and the macaroni and cheese was delicious. My party also had the burger and grilled cheese, all were very good. They let you order food in the wine tasting room or outside as well, but the menu is far more limited. The only negative I would say is that it appears they are under-staffed, as it took a long time for them to take our order and get us our bill, but the food was very good.

The tasting was great, but I was hoping for the malbec as it’s one of my favorites, however it was not ready yet, so it gives me an excuse to go back. I also enjoyed the pinot noir, however it does need to age a bit. The wines ranged from $18 to $45, definitely great quality wines. I had joined their wine club a year ago, for about $240, I get a shipment of 3 bottles every 3 months (so 12 total) as well as two free wine tastings every visit, so the tasting was free.

It’s a really nice winery, quality wines, a little pricey but worth it. I would definitely recommend making a reservation if you plan to eat at the bistro, we didn’t so we ate in the lounge area, which was fine but it definitely fills up quick, a nice place, would definitely recommend it. The only negative, as I said previously, is that they are severely understaffed, which if they fix that, could make the experience so much better.

1  Thank roha19
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We arrived and entered the tasting bar. The bar area was full so we sat at one of the 'satellite' tables. After 10 minutes of being totally ignored, I asked a passing waitress about tasting the wines and was told 'it's at the bar'! Still no room there, so we waited a further 15 minutes - still totally ignored, despite several staff passing us by, so we left.