“Dinner”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Manchester, Connecticut
“Dinner”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

While I love the old building, and the parlor stove (nice and warm in the winter), the food seems to be hit or miss. The last time we ate there, our burgers were cool, and I am not sure what seasonings were in the beef, but it didn't taste great. It took a very long time to get our food, and we were not impressed. Might be a good place if you are just going for drinks and wings.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank maureen s

Vernon, Connecticut, USA
“Best chicken wings”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Avesome place to try 30 flavors of chicken wings. Love their Wednesday's Rocks and Wings special:-) nice friendly environment

Visited October 2013
1 Thank acsaki
Hebron, Connecticut
“The perfect balance of rustic atmosphere and modern flavor”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had a tremendous experience at the Bidwell Tavern. We did go on "Rocks and Wings" night, but were not going for Rocks and Wings. It's always good to see how a place chooses to treat their customers who want an everyday experience despite the specials.

We chose to sit in the Tavern as it is a bit more casual of a setting. Wait staff quickly attended to us, and got our drink orders in. My wife knew what she was having (white zinfindel is the usual for her), but I tend to look for local microbrew and experience different flavors. My favorite taste tends to fall in the middle ground of brown ales (think Newcastle, Long Trail, etc.). The house Bidwell Old Abernathy was perfect. Smooth yet flavorful, served at a perfect temperature. I rarely drink more than a pint in any establishment but this ale was worth a second pint to enjoy the experience.

Because they were so raved about, we had to at least try the wings. They have a huge list of sauces - be prepared to both ask your server what some of them mean as well as take time to decide what you'd like. We chose to go with the honey BBQ and it was a good call. Great honey flavor came through unlike most where the BBQ tang drowns out the honey. A small plate of wings was plenty for two of us to split as our appetizer.

My wife ordered the Sea Scallops and I chose to go with the Fish and Chips. My wife's salad arrived shortly after the wings. Fresh, crisp and well dressed, it provided a solid opener.

My dinner was very tasty. The beer batter was light and flaky with no trace of grease. Well seasoned, the fish was moist and perfectly cooked through. The fries were crisp and plentiful. My only disappointment was the cole slaw. I'm more of a mayonnaise fan than the vinegar slaw variety. Theirs was the latter, and was a bit too tart for my taste. It was fresh enough and not overly soggy. Just not the style I prefer.

So much food was served that we had no room for dessert. Service throughout the meal was attentive but not overbearing. Atmosphere was what we were hoping for. It was a bit loud in the Tavern section, and our waitress used a few "colorful words" while being playful with regulars and other staff. Those that look for a fine dining experience I am sure would be turned off by the informality and find it offensive. For us, it was actually entertaining and we left with smiles on our faces.

Note that we went in early July, well outside of college season. We tend to avoid the busy time when school is in and the place is mobbed with college kids. But we will happily return during these times of year when we just want a relaxed time to unwind, let the world go by and just enjoy life as best we can.

• Visited July 2013
Madison, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Went there with my mom, dad, and three sisters. Service was terrible. Food took over an hour to get to us, and we only got asked for drinks one time during that period. When the food finally came out all 6 dishes were soggy/cold. Saw the young waiter in appropriately stare at my sister when she went to the bathroom, and when we left. Awful experience, will never go back; and have since heard several people say similar things.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank JSLazor
Ledyard,CT
“Fun atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Great old woodwork. Nice patio to sit in good weather. Get the wings. Various flavors. Hickory horseradish is a favorite. Evenings and weekends its busy plan to wait. Service is always good, even if busy. Salads, burgers and appetizers all great. Great selection of beers.

• Visited July 2013