“stayed here several times”

Hilton Garden Inn Danbury
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Danbury
Rutland, Vermont
“stayed here several times”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

i chose this hotel the first time because it was the closest to my work, but continued to come back because it had everything i needed. It is very easy to find from the interstate, yet quiet. First impressions are clean, light and airy. There is a small restaurant as well as room service and the food is pretty good. Also, laundry machines, pool and fitness. A 3 minute walk along a side walk will get you to a small shopping center that has everything you might want if you are there for several days.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank vermont05701
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel, your feedback is appreciated! I am glad that you find the hotel and area to have everything needed for an enjoyable stay. Please visit us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I was here for two nights, during a friend's wedding weekend. Great location, right off 84. Used HH points for the stay, so the price was right.

The room was excellent, very clean and comfortable.

Service was very good too, I believe it was Christian at the front desk who checked me in and provided some recommendations for restaurants - she was great.

The business center, while small, was convenient. Computers were quick.

One area of disappointment - housekeeping was very loud in the hallway, walkie-talkies were on full volume for some reason and they seemed to be a bit more social than normal housekeepers as they did not stop chatting. Very loud. Perhaps this is thin-wall syndrome, but they were quite boisterous. Too bad to put a black eye on an otherwise excellent stay, but should be easily corrected.

Room Tip: Based on my housekeeper challenges, I'd request the end of a hall - hopefully less traffic!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate all feedback from our guests so that we may continually improve our service and amenities.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for making us aware of the noise level in the hallways, we will address that!

Please visit us again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

Very easy to find the hotel,off Interstate 84.The pool was not crowded, not too small and open late and early!The breakfast room is very pleasant and the full breakfast buffet offer a very large choice.the rooms are comfortable.A very good experience!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel! We hope to see you again soon!
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

Overall, a good experience. We got a great rate on our room which, now that I think about it, is probably why they put us in the handicap room and skimped on supplies.

Check-in was prompt and the staff member was friendly and helpful. As Hilton Honors members, we received 2 bottles of water upon check-in which was greatly appreciated after our drive from JFK. The room was a good size and clean. There was a mini-fridge which was busted and missing a foot and it didn’t really keep anything cool, a microwave, and a coffee maker. I like the fact that they offer free wi-fi in the guest rooms and that it is a smoke-free hotel. Great TV with a nice picture and a few HD and movie channels. They do offer room service which we did not use and they have a breakfast buffet for an additional $10.95 which we didn’t do either. One of the best things about this hotel is the location as it’s right off of I-84, however if your room is facing I-84, which ours was, you can definitely hear the road noise. But, it’s within walking distance to Starbuck’s, Trader Joe’s, DSW, Desert Moon Café and Rite-Aid. There’s a sidewalk going directly from the hotel to the shopping strip which is a huge plus. They have a small room (“business center”) off the lobby which we used to print our boarding passes. They also offer a pool and fitness center neither of which we had time to enjoy.

As mentioned in other reviews, the bed was terribly uncomfortable, but we didn’t have a Sleep Number bed. Our bed was a hard foam mattress with what looked like a shearling top (see photo) and my back hurt for a few days afterwards. Like most of these chain hotels, the walls are thin and you can hear everything going on in the hallway. Though the bathroom was clean, I hated the fact that there was no bathroom fan to keep the moisture/humidity down while showering. It’s also nice to have when sharing a room for additional privacy if you know what I mean.

The one major complaint was with housekeeping. There was no shortage of housekeeping staff and we always saw 3 or 4 carts in the hallway each morning. But, this particular group was loud. Each morning we could hear them having conversations with each other (couldn’t understand them as they were in Spanish) and when they’d enter a room, we could hear them slamming dresser drawers and closet doors. As for our room, they did a very poor job of replenishing supplies and towels. By the end of our stay, my poor husband was left with a hand towel to dry himself off and we had 1 little bar of soap to use to wash our hands, but then had to remember to bring that bar of soap in the shower to get that job done. Not a big deal and we would have called down to the front desk to get more if the phone hadn’t been dead. These are things that we could deal with – not a biggie. We got a good rate. Nothing is perfect. Move on.

However, what really got to me was when housekeeping threw away some personal items. Whether we paid the rack rate or half price, I don’t expect any of our items to be taken or discarded. There were packets of eye cream, foundation, and cosmetic strips that go around the eyes all of which were thrown out. I had specifically placed them on the plastic tray where the complimentary shampoo and lotion normally sit, and when I arrived back at my room, they were gone. I can’t imagine housekeeping took them to use themselves, but I have to say my husband & I did notice a new Trojan packet sitting on top of one of the housekeeping carts on the way out which we thought was strange. If you found that in someone’s room, wouldn’t you just throw it out? So, I don’t know if they took these things to use themselves or if they were too busy talking and just dumped whatever was on the tray into the garbage. Who knows?
After we got home, we did receive an email from one of the hotel managers apologizing for the housekeeping issue and it’s nice when management does acknowledge a compliment or complaint. Would we stay there again? Sure. But, I would make sure that whatever you want to keep, you lock up tight.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms on 2nd floor face I-84.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel. We value all feedback! I am glad you enjoyed some of our great amenities, such as our HD TV's, complimentary wireless internet and smoke-free rooms! We are also very proud of our helpful and accommodating staff.

We have a great in-house restaurant, the Great American Grill, which offers a hot, cooked to order buffet daily, as well as room service, lounge service and dinner nightly. I hope you have the chance to enjoy our restaurant on your next stay!

We do have a great location, right off the highway with a plaza next door with a Starbucks, mexican restaurant, pizza restaurant, pharmacy, package store and gas station. We are set back from the highway quite a bit with a local road in between us, but we are always happy to accommodate requests for rooms facing the wooded area of the building.

All of our rooms were outfitted with new bedding last summer. We are proud to offer our Garden Sleep System bedding in all rooms. Each bed has a dial on the matress to "turn up" the firmness or "turn down" the softness to suit the individual comfort of each guest. All rooms do have a shearling mattress pad which is removable.

I do apologize for the shortage of bath supplies in your room! Our housekeeping staff is always happy to provide any extra amenities desired upon request. Our housekeeping staff is very diligent when cleaning rooms and they do remove everything that may seem intended to be discarded, so I do apologize for that. I am glad you were able to speak to a manager while here as we always want to be sure our guests have a pleasant stay.

I hope that you will give us another try when passing through the area so that we can WOW you!
Beverly, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed one at the Hilton Garden Inn halfway to our destination. The staff was friendly, the room was clean (the cookies looked undercooked, but we didn't try them. How about a whole grain, low sugar treat?) We appreciated the assurance that everything on the bed, including the duvet and bolster pillow cover, was laundered fresh for each visitor. Amenities included real glasses and a microwave and refrigerator in the room. A breakfast buffet was on offer, but we opted for a nearby Starbucks. (There is a Trader Joe's nearby, as well, for on-the-road necessities and treats.) All in all, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank ccdjml
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for taking your time to review and comment on our hotel, we appreciate it! We are glad to have been able to offer you a comfortable break in your trip. Our guests love the cookies, but perhaps we could offer some whole fruit as well! Thank you and please visit us again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Since I have family in Danbury, my wife, boys and I stay at this hotel when we visit. We've tried other motels in Danbury, but this one is tops for price and location.

Since the motel is right off the exit of Interstate 84, it is convenient. In addition, with a nearby Starbucks, Trader Joe's and a drug store, i.e., all within walking distance, we can get whatever we need.

As for food, there are nearby restaurants like Rosy Tomorrows (nice Sunday brunch) and Chuck's Steak House (my wife's favorite steak restaurant). For a quick breakfast, the Windmill Diner is right down the road.

If you are looking for a quick round of golf, Richter Park is an excellent public course only five minutes from the hotel.

As for the hotel staff, they and are always pleasant and accommodating. The check-in process is quick and our young boys enjoy the free cookies after the ride to Danbury from MetroWest Boston.

Rooms are always clean and they are kept up to date. The selling point for a young family is the pool, i.e., nice and clean.

Over the years, this hotel has been our choice because it is consistently very good - never any unpleasant surprises.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel and the surrounding area. We do enjoy a great location, near many conveniences. Also good to hear is that our hotel provides consistent good service and amenities. We look forward to your next visit!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed here for four days during a business trip. The staff here are wonderful. As someone who is on the road a lot for work, I found the staff here to be one of the friendliest at any hotel I've been to. The rooms are nice and have great HDTV's with tons of channels. The breakfast here is top notch.

The gym does leave something to be desired. It is limited to a few treadmills. Usually HGIs have pretty nice gyms and are one of my favorite "secret" hotel chains.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
HiltonGardenDanbury, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Danbury, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, our guest feedback is very important to us! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, and the next time you visit us, please inquire with the front desk about complimentary local gym passes should you seek a more complete workout. We hope to see you again soon!