“NOT SMOKE FREE”

Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Danbury
Rochester, New York, United States
“NOT SMOKE FREE”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We have health issues, and cannot tolerate smoke. Had nonsmoking room reservation, and called hotel the night before to explain health issues and verify need for non smoking hall. We were told our hallway and that entire area of hotel was non-smoking. Arrived 6 PM, and although room was non-smoking, hallway was VERY smoky. Our room was on 3rd floor, all fire doors were propped open and you could see smoke rising up the stairs to the 3rd floor. We had to walk through the entire smoky hall to get to our room, and smoke enters room as soon a door is open. Told staff we could not stay in that room, and the only other available rooms were smoking rooms. Staff offered to spray air freshener! The woman at the desk said rooms at either end were nonsmoking, but rooms in center of each hallway were smoking rooms, so they have no smoke free halls-not what we were told yesterday. We could not stay because of the smoke, but she refused to give a refund. She was rude and would not try to help us.

Room Tip: No such thing as non-smoking area of this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Deb B
qualityinndanbury, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
We fully appreciate your feedback and would like to apologize for your experience, but want to assure you that you were assigned to our non-smoking floor. We have very limited smoking rooms due to the demand for those rooms, and we are not listed as a non-smoking facility.

We apologize for the inconvenience we may have caused and because of that, we did fully refund the charge for your reservation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 November 2012

love to share great things about great places and hotels but it seems this happens less and less. As we walked into this nasty place, we already knew it was terrible. Not a single picture online matched the inside of the "hotel". As we walked in, the front desk person, Mr. Rashed Anwar, (an extremely rude and unpleasant man as we were soon to find out) was manually trying to open the front doors (normally they are automatic and motion-sensored) and my first thought was "what if there was a fire"...The reception area was gross and paint peeling off the walls directly behind Mr. Anwar. Not a reassuring sight. Then a bunch of men walked in that appeared to be homeless (in appearance) and rolled in boxes of InstoSoups and bags of powdered donuts. Setting up a poker party no doubt in one of the "rooms" (pigsty's).

We arrived to our room and already cigarette smoke was billowing about. The room itself was a face. Dirty dingy rugs and furniture that appeared as if they'd been there since the 70's. I like reto and all but I wanted to vomit. The TV screen was snowy. And to top it off the gentlemen checking in downstairs were meeting their alrady-riled-up buddies right next door to us! AND someone was haging out the hallway window smoking too.

The bathroom door was falling apart. The bathtub was nasty. The room lighting was indufficient. We'd booked a "suite" - this was no suite!

We went immediately back downstairs. Explained we could not stay due to abovementioned. Mr. Anwar was rude and terse and almost mocking when I asked about our money back. We obviously cancelled the next night (we'd booked two). He reluctantly gave me his name.

I will NEVER EVER stay in a "Choice" Hotel again. EVER. Not any one of them. I give this place ZERO rating.

EW! I'd rather sleep in a dirty alley way floor. At least I would not feel fooled. This was pure Bait and Switch (when looking at hotel website) - illegal I might add normally!

We checked into Hilton Garden Inn on 119 Mill Plain Road instead where we've been before. It's pretty awesome and the staff IS SO FRIENDLY. So much for trying something new (which we like to do)!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank annarchy_ny
qualityinndanbury, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
I am truly sorry for your experience at our facility and would like to talk to you to resolve this to your satisfaction. Please call me directly at the hotel at 203-743-6701.

Manoj
GM

Travellers are raving about these Danbury hotels

italy
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The receptionist took my coupon but asked for 5 bucks more. In the lobby there were jewelery items for sale (I guess it wasn't a legal activity, but I am not sure).
The room was comfortable and clean, maybe too big for one queen bed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Somers NY
Reviewed 6 November 2012

How fortunate my husband and I were to spend a warm cozy weekend at Quality Inn during Hurricane Sandy. The staff--particularly front desk associate Rashid--were so accomodating and kind. They went the extra mile to help the guests displaced by the storm. The hot complementary breakfast was an added bonus--eggs, waffles, bagels, good coffee, etc.. The room and bath were well appointed and comfortable. Who could ask for more?
Lucille NY

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LucilleK14
Danbury
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I checked into a room Wednesday because Sandy had knocked out the power in my home.

When I got there, I found the toilet didn't flush. The man at the front desk told me to come to the front desk, get a plunger, and clear the toilet myself. The plunger didn't do the job. There was now dirty water on the floor, which made the whole bathroom unusable. I called him again. He told me to come get some towels and wipe it up. I said that I wasn't just going to wipe toilet water around my bathroom floor with a towel. He then told me to come to the front desk (on the Lobby level; the room was on the third floor). I said no, I would check out.

The guy at the front desk called his maintenance man. He said, "The toilet in 306 isn't working again." The maintenance man, I was told, couldn't come until the next day.

When I told the man I wanted to check out, he said that his "system" was down, I'd have to call his manager. I called her just now (the second day since I checked out), and she said -- she'd reduce my charge by $100, so that I had only had to pay $60 for this experience!

If I could give this place a zero rating, I would.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kevin G
Connecticut
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I booked with some trepidation due to the negative comments here, but the location was convenient to a funeral we were attending so . . .

Frankly, I don't know what the problem is, unless those one-star reviews were paid-for hit pieces. The room we had was perfectly fine, clean spacious and quiet. The breakfast area is small but the spread was what you'd expect in a hotel in this tier. We didn't use the pool, but a heated indoor pool is a nice amenity.

Plus, the place is right across the street from an outpost of New Haven's Frank Pepe Pizzeria, world-famous for its New Haven-style pies.

Someone here wrote "not the best hotel I've stayed in." Well, duh! It's a Quality Inn. It's not the best hotel I've stayed in either, but it did the job.

Now I'm a member of Choice Hotels' frequent-stayer program, so that might have affected the room I was assigned. It might help to ask for a room on the third floor at the rear.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
qualityinndanbury, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 28 October 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback and also for being a member of our frequent stay Choice Privileges Program. We really value your response which validates our hard work and desire to continually improve the guest experience at our hotel. Thank you again.
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Hotel has a very unpleasant, musty smell from hallway to rooms. Both queen size beds had saggy mattresses. The air conditioning didn't work properly. The bathroom was old and stained. We moved one of beds and found food remains. There were bugs crawling on the wall. The nicest way to sum this place up is to say it is run down. A more straightforward way of saying it is that this place is a dump.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank RogersVA
qualityinndanbury, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 18 October 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback. We accommodate many guests each evening and strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We are sorry for your bad experience, and assure you this is not normal. We have looked into the issues you mentioned and want to assure you that we have taken steps to rectify them, including finishing renovating our rooms this past September. I truly appreciate your feedback and taking the time to share your concerns.

GM