“Not very clean”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Danbury
Irvine, California
“Not very clean”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I booked my family into this Residence during the blizzard of 2013. We are Marriott members so expected this Residence Inn to meet our expectations. This property is being renovated, and I'm sure once all of the guestrooms and lobby are completed, it will be a much nicer place to stay. However, we found our room not just outdated, but not clean and without all of the basic cookware amentities usually stocked in the guestroom kitchens. We asked for some items for our small kitchen, but were told by the front desk that they didn't have anything. Additionally, as I was tucking my kids into the bed, I pulled back the cover fitted sheet and found body hair stuck to the mattress all along the sides. I think that is unacceptable for a mattress to be that dirty and unkept. Also, when we pulled out the bedding in the closet for the sofa bed, we noticed that the blanket provided was torn and stained and appeared to never have been washed. The sheets had long strands of black hair stuck on them. I just found the quality of the room to be disgusting.

On a positive note, the staff worked hard during the blizzard to attend to people's needs and they did provide hot coffee in the meeting room whenever asked. I hope things improve when they renovate the guestrooms, but I will probably not stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LeoFam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I usually stay at the Hilton garden inn here in Danbury where I became used to consistently professional and courteous service, great rooms and amenities, and responsive guest staff. Unfortunately, the Hilton was booked and I had to stay at this place. From the time of arrival, where I was greeted at a make shift check in counter and the notification that there would be no hot breakfast as well as construction issues ( they apparently have been remodeling since January..yet the only progress evident was a remodeled lobby which was cordoned off so guests could not use it.. This after 47 days of work!)

Room was severely dated, and towels were very worn and only soap, shampoo, and conditioner were in room ( no lotion or other toiletries offered) and paper supplies were of the lowest quality. Moreover, the staff was extremely in attentive, unprofessional, and abrupt. When I called to say something was chirping in my room, they sent someone who not only was not qualified to address the issue, but also removed the smoke alarm from my room with no offer to replace or have me move to another room . When I asked what if there's a fire, he simply shrugged.

I had to spend my evening identifying the chirping sound (co2 detector) and take it to the front desk where the clerk (Ed) was clearly inept at running a self serve gas station, let alone being responsible for guest services at a Marriott hotel. My interaction with him was both unpleasant and unsatisfactory.

I will never again stay at this hotel, and will certainly tell my colleagues and travel service with my company ( a prominent local employer) of my experience and recommend this hotel be removed from our approved hotel list.

Room Tip: Go to the Hilton garden inn!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dave k
Reviewed 20 February 2013

As an extended stay customer, my experience was quite pleasant. The staff was extremely friendly, accommodating, and genuine. My suite was comfortable and the cleanliness was excellent. (Note, I have been at other extended stay hotels that were not as attentive to long-term customers) The hotel is large enough to maintain a sense of privacy and space, while small enough to have amenities conveniently located and highly accessible. All in all, the hotel felt like a home away from home...and in many ways even better :)

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I booked a room as a surprise for my boyfriend on valentine day. I checked in at 3 pm the lady at the front desk was very friendly and answered all my questions and concerns. The room was absolutely amazing. It was a whirlpool studio equipped with a kitchen a small living room area and a separate bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and smelled very clean. My overall experience was amazing. I would definitely recommend this hotel. One downside about the hotel was that it was suppose to be a non smoking facility. When I was walking out to go to dinner the hallway reeked of the smell of weed. It was not very pleasant.. The non smoking policy inside the building should be enforced to ensure a comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Michigan
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I recently stayed at the Residence Inn Danbury for a couple of nights while in CT. The room I had was a one-bedroom studio suite. It was a very nice, clean room. The hotel staff was friendly and the free breakfast and dinners weren't bad either. Of course, you could always walk next door or drive around the block to get something else.

The hotel was very quiet mostly with little noises experienced at night. The days I were there the hotel had little vacancy and I still had plenty of peace and quiet in my room.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We love the Residence Inn chain and try to stay there whenever we can. This one had all the usual amenities, but be aware that it is about to undergo renovations (beginning January 2013), so you may want to call first to determine the status of that before you book. The location next to the mall is very convenient, we were there during a big snowstorm and were still able to take advantage of the shopping and large kid's play area (with carousel!). But aside from the mall it is a bit remote, not especially near any tourist attractions.

Room Tip: the rear of the hotel overlooks the highway so if you are sensitive to noise you may want to request...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 22 December 2012

This is a nice hotel near the Danbury Fair (mall). Although within walking distance, there are limited sidewalks on the way. Nevertheless, the hotel has a shuttle that can take you there and bring you back at no cost. I only became aware of this after talking to a friend that had also been at this hotel. She also mentioned the shuttle took her to our company´s office and got her back later on.
The rooms are large, with an integrated kitchen. The only drawback was that the refrigerator in my room was noisy and I had to turn it off (I was not using it anyway)
The rooms have WiFi and cable internet. I used cable and the connection speed was very good.
Site staff is very attentive.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again if I go back to Danbury.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business