“Wonderful food, lovely pub, amazing staff”

The Five Bells Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Wickham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Finalist National Pub of the Year 2014 A chocolate box free house serving the finest ales, ciders and locally sourced home cooked food. Berkshire CAMRA Pub of the Year 2014 West Berkshire CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year 2014 Many peoples idea of the perfect country pub
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food, lovely pub, amazing staff”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My partner and I visited for the first time on Sunday. After just coming back from Asia we did not realise it was Fathers Day so we were very lucky to be seated as everything was reserved! They did not turn us away and sat us down making us aware that people would be coming in an hour and a half later to use the table we were at, making plenty of time for us to sit and eat.

The staff are so friendly here! Makes you smile :) The food is absolutely delicious! We both had the pie which was nicely filled and it was delicious. Huge range of ale and cider. Lovely big pub garden.

We will be coming back very soon.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Abbie C

Hook, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food, good value”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Visited this afternoon just before lunch stopped serving at 1430. Service faultless. Difficult to choose what we wanted to eat as other peoples meals as we walked through the pub all looked amazing. Food very good, chips lovely. Pizza made fresh and oven fired only downside to the pizza is that it was black on the bottom. Found this lovely pub by accident and I will certainly visit again. Ample outdoor picnic tables, country quaint on the inside. A lovely pub like this should have more parking. Would I recommend? Certainly!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Love-being-pampered
Maldon, United Kingdom
“Wish it was my local”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We only really came across the Five Bells by accident, I must say that I would go out of my way in the future to revisit the place. We were a little late for lunch but decided to stay because of the comfortable feel and the amazing selection of ales and cider. The offer of tipples in 3rds of pints was a great idea as you have the opportunity to sample the selection without ending up leg less. Set in beautiful countryside that only England can offer this is a picture of a place with a nice beer garden. If the dining is as good as the pub itself next time around we will be sure to be there for the food as the menu looked very appetising.

Hungerford, United Kingdom
“Disappointing meal”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Chose the Five Bells because of its good reputation locally. We were very disappointed. The service was slow and somewhat reluctant. Arrived at around 7 and were served our dessert at 8.45. Good job we didn't have a starter. I had fish and chips. The batter was acceptable. The menu advised that the chips were three times fried and would be dark coloured. That would have been ok if they had been crisp but they weren't. The menu stated mushy peas but they were rather over sweet crushed peas. When I commented on this, I was told that they don't do them like they do up north which was hardly the point. My son had a chicken and leek pie. The filling was fine but it was in a case as in a large pork pie and therefore had too much pastry. The desserts were acceptable.

• Visited June 2014
6 Thank Steetonboy
mark g, Owner at The Five Bells Restaurant, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
My views on this site are well known, and your spurious review sums up why I dislike the trend of anonymous complaining, we much prefer people speak to us and give us a chance to deal with any complaints, rather than write your first ever review with very little to complain about. You were told when you arrived that we were fully booked, but if you were patient we would fit you in, which we did, you were told that there would be a delay as we had fitted you in but would cook your food as quickly as possible, which we did. Your mushy peas were the same as we have cooked, to high acclaim, since we opened. Your batter was acceptable, get a life!
Our shortcrust pie is indeed a large pie but we do a lighter smaller one with the same filling with puff pastry, says it on the menu, get a life.
Our desserts were acceptable, really..... In fact I couldn't be bothered anymore....get a life!
Speak to us, we're very nice, and will bend over backwards to please people... Some should just get a life! Get my drift!
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Great choice of beer”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've been visiting this pub every couple of months since last year and am always impressed with the choice of Real Ale available. They always have something new to try.

I have not tried the food or accommodation.