“True English pub” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Five Bells Restaurant

The Five Bells Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Wickham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Finalist National Pub of the Year 2014 A chocolate box free house serving the finest ales, ciders and locally sourced home cooked food. Berkshire CAMRA Pub of the Year 2014 West Berkshire CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year 2014 Many peoples idea of the perfect country pub
Reading, United Kingdom
“True English pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Saturday lunch in the sun doesnt get better than at this pub. Food was lovely and reasonably priced.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Louk2606

Datchet, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, service could use a smile”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Went here for dinner as it was well rated on this site, although I did think twice after seeing the response from the owner to a bad review using the phrase "get a life" several times.
The food was absolutely lovely and the portion sizes were fantastic. The food is obviously prepared on site and the pies were huge and bursting will good quality, delicious filling. The choice of ales was also impressive, and the taster option (3 x 1/3 pint glasses of different ales) is a great idea. They even have little jars of the ales on display so you can see how light/dark they are, so certainly for ale fans this is a great pub to visit.
That said the service was fast, efficient and thorough but we didn't get a smile or pleasantry the whole time which was a shame.
I'd go back for the food and the lovely beer garden, but would recommend the owner delegates responding to negative tripadvisor reviews to someone with less of a temper as it's a little off putting.

3 Thank Wanderlust7474
Newbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely food, relaxed atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I cycled to the pub from Newbury. We shared a starter, he had one of the pies and I had the rib-eye steak. My Steak was cooked to perfection and the seasonal veg was fresh. My husband enjoyed the pie but was unable to finish it as there was so much. This pub is everything you would want from a country pub. All too often these little gems are turned into "gastro pubs" and loose their charm, this is not the case here. Service was welcoming and friendly too.

1 Thank Mab007
Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, excellent beer and great music”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were looking for somewhere special to entertain music and beer loving friends visiting from London and the Five Bells ticked all the boxes. Booked a table for 2:00 on Sunday afternoon so as to enjoy a meal and then a few beers and the live entertainment (Bob Bowles blues singer guitarist this afternoon).

The range and quality of the beers on offer was excellent and there was also a good range of ciders although those will have to wait for another visit. Food came quite quickly although at first we were warned it could take up to an hour until we confirmed that we had booked for 2. Lesson is to book ahead even if it's just before you set off.

My dressed crab was excellent, a good size and reasonably priced and other meals; fish pie, steak, mushroom and ale pie and haddock and chips were well received. Steak pie was very large and my wife couldn't eat it all. I helped her out but it was a little salty for my taste but then I don't like much salt. My friends chips were very brown but the menu warns about this and offers the choice of lighter cooked chips if that's what you want and his mushy peas were really squashed garden peas. The only improvement I can suggest of the food front is to get in a few tins of Batchelors mushy peas, the real thing. You can pick them up for about 30p a tin.

The music was excellent, volume just right for the bar which is a very traditional and pleasant space and the beers went down well. Luckily our wives had volunteered to drive this time!

1 Thank 56_Vintage_Guy
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food, lovely pub, amazing staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My partner and I visited for the first time on Sunday. After just coming back from Asia we did not realise it was Fathers Day so we were very lucky to be seated as everything was reserved! They did not turn us away and sat us down making us aware that people would be coming in an hour and a half later to use the table we were at, making plenty of time for us to sit and eat.

The staff are so friendly here! Makes you smile :) The food is absolutely delicious! We both had the pie which was nicely filled and it was delicious. Huge range of ale and cider. Lovely big pub garden.

We will be coming back very soon.

1 Thank Abbie C