“Very good”

Ranked #18 of 80 Restaurants in Darien
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Rory's is the original pub of Darien serving great food and terrific drinks. Award winning New England Clam Chowder, plumb and juicy nine ounce burgers, lobster cobb salads, sandwiches with in house roasted turkey and roast beef, seafood specials and steaks are just a few of the menu highlights. The large bar has a welcoming atmosphere. "It's just like "Cheers!"" say many of it's regulars, who enjoy the best martini's around or ice cold Stella Artois drafts. The friendly staff makes for "smooth sailing." Come on down and find out why Rory's has been a Darien staple for more than 30 years.
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Wife had been here for lunch with "the girls". Everybody liked,so we went for dinner. Filet sliders with blue cheese topping were delicious. Fish and chips generous portion, done to perfection. Taco salad very good .Too much to finish. We will be back. Small dining room .

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had another great dinner here on Holy Thursday. It had been a long week for all of us, the evening was far spent and we weren't interested in a bustling place like PF Chang or Plan B nor in a more formal restaurant, so we decided to go to Rory's. It is exactly that sort of place to go out and have a meal together without it being a big production and without having to wait a long time to eat. It is a comfortable, cozy, friendly restaurant - the tables are close together but one doesn't mind, the service is quick and friendly.

The other two in my party had the Turkey dinner, a big plate of fresh Turkey, stuffing, mashed and cranberry sauce. I had the filet mignon, flavorful in a mushroom gravy. Our meals were, as always, well-prepared and delicious. The tab before tip was 82 bucks.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This is a comfortable restaurant where one can always get a good meal. The smoked salmon appetizer was very good, fresh and tasty. The entrees are always flavorful, I had the lobster ravioli in a cream sauce it was a bit heavy but delicious. For a party of four the bill was 99.87 without tip.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am originally from Fairfield County, Connecticut and occasionally visit family there with my son. For years he heard me rave about Rory's and pleaded with me to take him there. Finally on this Christmas trip, we went. Rory's originated in its present cozy OK, cramped) little spot in Darien, although I had only frequented the larger restaurant in Stamford where it had moved for a few years in the 1980s. How fondly I looked back at its rich lobster bisque that one could customize at the bar with Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry, tabasco and other ingredients. Unfortunately Rory's only serves its bisque on Tuesdays and Fridays, and this was a Thursday. However they did sell us a frozen one to go. At this particular lunch my son and I each started with a bowl of clam chowder, then split the fried calamari with the side of marinara as well as the chicken risotto. All proved to be winning choices. The chowder was assertively seasoned without being overpowering, and chock full of clams. The calamari was a knockout -- light in texture with a zippy marinara. And the chicken risotto with corn and herbs came in a generous portion. Indeed, ALL of the portions we saw in the room were generous -- a refreshing departure from many other area restaurants. The gentleman at the next table told us that service was backed up because "everybody and his brother came at once." Indeed, there were only two female servers working the place -- both attractive with "smart casual" attire -- one of whom was doubling as bartender! Still they remained attentive and calm throughout and always had a smile. As other reviewers have stated, this is the "Cheers" of Darien!

2  Thank John R
Reviewed 3 November 2013

After driving past Rory's for 20 years, I decided to meet two friends there before a planned activity. I thought bar was interesting and looked like a friendly crowd of regulars. We sat at a table since there were 3 of us and ordered drinks and good. Beer choices were a bit limited for my liking,My friend enjoyed a couple com tails though, The food was ordinary. Nothing I couldn't have whipped up at home. Maybe we chose wrong dishes. I think after seeing menu choices it will b a good place for a quick on way home from work.Waitress was wonderful and helpful.