“Bad food and lots of bugs in the beds.”

Gelston House 1853 Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Haddam
Gelston House 1853 Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 East Haddam B&B and Inns
Killeen, Texas
“Bad food and lots of bugs in the beds.”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Our daughter and new son-in-law decided to have their wedding reception at the Gelston House. Part of the package included several of the hotel rooms.
The Cocktail 2 hours and Hors d’ oeuvres was on the patio and was a pleasant experience. Unfortunately the dinner was served about 45 minutes late. Not a problem for the over 21 crowd but the children were not too happy.
Most guests were disappointed with the beef and chicken but those who had the pasta were happy. I personally thought the beef was disgusting.
As I said earlier, the wedding package included several rooms. My wife, son and I had one of those rooms. Because of our flight arrangements our alarm was set for 3 am. After the alarm went off my wife turned the light on and screamed. Both pillows were covered with bed bugs! Apparently they ate well because both pillows were covered with blood spots. We spent the next 15 minutes capturing the bugs with toilet paper and flushing them in the not too efficient toilet. We could not catch all of them. I wish I had taken pictures of them. Needless to say we showered and got out of there at 3:45 am.
We sent a text message to our daughter and told her of the bugs. When she saw someone from the hotel that morning and spoke to them about the bugs they replied they would check into it. She has called several times and left messages for the manager to contact her. Of course no one has contacted her.
My daughter did say her maid of honor also shared her bed with bugs and had numerous bites.
I would not recommend the Gelston House for a wedding reception due to the poor food or as a place to sleep unless you enjoy sharing your bed with bugs.

Room Tip: avoid sleeping here!