“Clean and Basic”

Econo Lodge - East Hartford
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in East Hartford
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I'm going to lead with the positives: the room was clean. And basically furnished. If I was aware of a microwave and fridge when I booked the room months in advance I had forgotten by the time we arrived--so these were pleasant surprises. There was also plenty of hot water. And the location was convenient to I-91. Within sight of exit ramp but the property is set back so there wasn't excessive highway noise. Also conveniently located near good food (try the NY Pizzeria a few blocks south on Main St.). The price was also amazing; room w king bed, five nights, for less than 300 including taxes. The less than wonderful aspects follow--just keep in mind that this is a budget level property so you have no reason to expect luxury. The room was on the small side so there was no arm chair (just room enough for 2 upholstered chairs and a smallish round cafe table. there was a largish walk in closet are without a door; unfortunately this cut into the space allocated to the tiny bathroom. Having lived in my share of small apartments the small size of the bathroom wasn't really an issue but I have never seen a bathtub/shower so small. Who knew they made apartment sized bathtubs? I estimate it was approx. 24" wide and 48" long which would make it ideal for a child or a young teenager but not really comfortable for fully grown adults. Here come minor annoyances that weren't deal breakers but were a constant reminder that this was a budget location. Upon arrival I noticed the toilet ran intermittently. I know the sound well, it is the sound an old-fashioned toilet makes when its flapper valve is no longer seating properly in the tank. It wasn't terribly loud and therefore didn't interfere with sleeping or TV viewing but was annoying. The week we stayed had unusual weather--sometimes requiring heat and other times A/C was called for. The heater/AC unit was effective but had a mind of its own as its control knob fell from heat to A/C at one point when no one was nearby. My biggest gripe was with the bedding. Yes, it was clean and bedbug free--so what more can you ask for in a budget motel? Well, the king size bed was incredibly soft without almost any support. Yes, I know everyone has different preferences along the mattress softness/firmness continuim. We both happen to prefer firmer mattresses so it was an adjustment for us to make over five nights. However, a major annoyance is that the bed was made only with flat sheets which, by the way, were too small. We're talking about a a king sized bed not only having a flat sheet substituted for what you would expect to be a fitted sheet--but the flat sheet was too small! I'm guessing it was a queen size flat sheet as there was perhaps an inch of overhang which means at most there was an inch of sheet available to tuck under the mattress. Try and imagine how twisted and undone the bottom sheet became during the night as two adults tried to sleep. It didn't help that the underlying mattress pad was, I kid you not, twin size. The result is that every morning one of us woke up wearing the bottom flat sheet as if it were a sari. The bottom line is that the room was clean, conveniently located and comfortable enough for us to get 5 nights of sleep. Next year, however, I think we'll scrimp elsewhere so that we can upgrade to a motel that uses fitted sheets.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Terry S
Ian G, Director of Sales at Econo Lodge - East Hartford, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Terry,

Thank you for your detailed feedback from your stay at Econo Lodge East Hartford. We are pleased that you found our location to be convenient (close to dining options and offering easy access to the highway). Thank you for keeping in mind the great value that we offer here; it would be our pleasure to serve you again the next time you travel to the area!

Reviewed 20 May 2013

i looked this hotel by using trip advisory, i was a bit confused to have there because of the reviews i had seen here before getting the room. i had to see someone at Pratt & Whitny and it was the closest place to say. upon arrival ,it looks ok more than average . i already had reservation , so i did not have any problem to check inn. the attendant was very polite and nice. i requested him to give me a nice room, so i got some good one. the room was good, it was properly cleaned and managed very well. T.V was old fashion but cable was too good to complain , more than 60 channels. internet was above the expectation. breakfast was not that good but if compare to the price i feel happy , i had no hard time, no noise at all either. i think , if you wanna a cheap room you have to be a little bit compromised . i would suggest you to go there one time if you gotta stay at there ,its a good place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nunez s

Dear Nunez,

Thank you for your review. I am so glad to hear that Econo Lodge East Hartford suited your needs as a great value for an overnight stay close to Pratt & Whitney. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 1 March 2013

Other negative reviews nearly scared me off, but I was pleasantly surprised for the most part.

Room was spacious A
Cleanliness was typical B-
TV, fridge, microwave worked A
Easy chair besides two chairs at table was a bonus A
Bedding deficiencies noted in other reviews C
Bathroom functional, hot water adequate B+
Room heating was not too effective C-
Noise: highway- none, overhead tenant (despite 10% occupancy rate, there was a tenant overhead, whom I heard stomping around from time to time) B-
Breakfast - uninspired. OJ, donuts, coffee C-
Staff - very little interaction, but polite & efficient A
Ice machine only in lobby, bit of a hike C
Proximity to bus stop A+
Neighborhood: working class, some signs of decline, but I felt safe C
You're here for the rate. Don't expect too much. But I've seen much worse for more money. I was much more comfortable at night knowing what I saved on lodging and downtown parking by staying here and riding the bus in to town.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Rich P

Dear Rich,

We greatly appreciate your detailed feedback regarding your stay at Econo Lodge East Hartford. Thank you for mentioning the great value that we offer in such close proximity to downtown Hartford, and the convenience of the nearby bus stop! Please keep us in mind the next time you return to the greater Hartford area.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Stayed here on our way out and again on oour return trip. The hotel is very basic.....with no frills...we were given a two bedroom suite both visits that made our stay so much more comfortable. The rooms are old but clean, the location is ideal, and we were not charged for the extra days for parking caused by our 3 day flight delay on our return trip. The breakfast was a selection of store bought muffins and donuts.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TOPNewHampshire

Dear guest,

Thank you for posting feedback about your stay on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the suite and found our location to be ideal. Please keep us in mind if your future travels bring you back to the greater Hartford area!

Reviewed 10 November 2012

This place has seen its better days. Our room was very roomy but somewhat worn. The carpet was threat bare. The ceiling of the bathroom had a large water stain. The toilet flushed only if you hold the handle down. The sheets on the bed were too small so they could not be tucked in under the mattress. The breakfast was pitiful consisting of glazed donuts, slices of bread and some kind of finger size croissants, I did not try the food but it was not very tempting. The motel is located in a questionable area where you should not venture out alone. On the positive the room was clean and neat, the Internet worked well with good bandwidth. There are some restaurants within a short driving distance.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stayed here this past saturday night.. First off would not flush when i called attendant it took forever for them to send someone. When he arrived he was very disrespectful and bothered by having to come plunge the toilet to make it flush. Second off the room was dirty.. Carpet had numerous burns all over.. Bathroom was also not clean... This is my first complaint on a hotel by all means avoid this hotel regardless of cost as its not worth any $$ Also mattress was beyond worn.......

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Romeo76_12
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I had a last minute meeting that I absolutely had to attend in CT and decided to stay here because it was the closest (and i couldn't see myself paying $115 for a night stay!!) My room was clean, and the bathroom was clean! I had to get last minute documents in order and the wifi was excellent. But the best part was the office attendant, Sean. He went above and beyond to help me with everything I needed to have printed. The room was outdated, but it was clean and I was very happy with the staff. As far as the neighborhood goes, it wasn't as bad as some people make it out to be. It was an industrial/commercial type area with plenty of street and foot traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for Sean!