“Home”

Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in East Hartford
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I happened upon the Holiday Inn due to my daughter school. She was rowing with her classmates from Dartmouth school. This appears to be a tough area for the Hotel and what appears to be unauthorized parties. My husband and I had to witness the unfortunate displacement of a guest and about 20 of her friends. I had the pleasure of seeing first hand how the manager Denise and Shomeka handles this unwanted guest. These woman were composed and respectful while this lady and her friends were screaming and hollering at the 2 of them. After all said and done with the help of the local police I went up to these ladies and thank them for there professional behavior during a very difficult time. They continued to smile and said thank you! They then proceed to ask how everything was with our room and was there was anything that we needed. We said no that everything was wonderful, we ask the ladies if there was anything we could do for them and they said no they were just protecting there home. Wow, I want these ladies behind me if I ever have to protect my home. I watched silently for a few more minutes as they greeted a few more guest into there home and thought to myself this is my home away from home. Thank you ladies for keeping us safe.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Johan L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Nick R,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our "HOME". I truly enjoy listening to the real world experiences of our guests and I am very happy to hear that the way my team handled a tough situation did not negatively affect your stay while you daughter's rowing team was in Hartford. I will be sure to share you comments with our Front Office team!!

We look forward welcoming you into our home again the next time the Dartmouth Crew come to the compete against Trinity College.

Bring on summer!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Had a good stay at this Holiday Inn this past Saturday night. The check-in/check-out was easy.

Taking the elevator to the 2nd floor, we had a bedroom with one king size bed. The room/bathroom were very clean. There were extra pillows and towels which were appreciated. We really liked the shampoo/conditioner/lotion provided as they were of a very good brand/quality. Bed was a bit bouncy and the linens were thin/average.

Elevators were in good working order and hallways were clean. I didn't use the additional facilities such as the pool or fitness center. Walking around the restaurant/bar, they appeared to be in nice condition as well.

Hotel is located very conveniently to the bridge that goes right into downtown Hartford. The I-84 East highway entrance is located directly across from the hotel.

My only negative (and reason for not giving 4-stars) is with the front desk/concierge. On Saturday night around 9:30pm, I called down to the front desk to request a cab for my wife & I into downtown Hartford. I was told to expect a 15-25 minute wait. After waiting 30 minutes, I called the front desk to inquire about the delay. They said that the cab companies reported being too busy to come by for pick up and the front desk would try calling again in a few minutes. I told them not to bother as I would now drive myself instead of waiting for who knows how long. Information on the delay should have been promptly told to me within minutes of my initial request. The inconvenience of not being promptly notified resulted in lost time in Hartford (reason for stay) followed by having to drive/pay for parking in downtown Hartford.

Other than that, a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Johan L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel! Although short, I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I always look for ways to improve our products and services offered and I truly appreciate it when people like you take some time to share their experiences with us. I feel that feedback such as yours gives me a head start in assuring our guests are comfortable and taken care of, so thank you again.

I have shared your comments with our front office team and I am confident that this will help us improve our follow-through on guest requests.

Thanks again and all the best,

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Quite simply an excellent stay. It appeared super new (newly renovated I understand), super clean and super comfortable (omg....sooooo super comfortable!!). The bed was like sleeping on cloud9 - and included a pillow menu. Even the chair and foot stool were comfortable - and I never usually comment on the chair... But it was great. Great crystal clear digital TV. Reception was wonderfully friendly. Breakfast was good (I only eat the oatmeal and fruit though but colleagues loved their choices of eggs and bacon etc). Confessor the shuttle bus driver was wonderful in taking us into downtown to eat/drink and coming back out to pick us up again... Perfect. If I had one tiny wish for the place it would be the shower... While hot hot water was plentiful and the shower head new.... The pressure was rather weak for my liking... I prefer a high pressure wash and theirs is somewhat low pressure water saver... But that's a small personal thing that certainly would not prevent me from staying again. Holiday Inn done right!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen B
Johan L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you so much for your review! I am very glad to hear that we could help make you as comfortable as you were while away from home. Many people comment on how much they enjoy our bedding package and I am glad you liked it also. We hope to see you again soon.

All the best,

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I've stayed in the area in just about every hotel Downtown Hartford and East Hartford . Like , most my job brings me here. I'm going to say hands down one of my favorite places to stay! Since change over to Holiday Inn the rooms are well maintained and house keeping will and are ready to help when they can. Shameeka and Brenda are very helpful with things to do, direction or even a little conversation , good honest hard working ladies. Terry bartender in evening very nice. The cook is amazing in the evening really good food here.Breakfast needs some work my only complaint would be the service is slow because bar and room service is under staffed .Quiet and relaxing experience.

Room Tip: Priceline good for this location
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that you will be back and we look forward to seeing you again. Also, you will be happy to know that we are currently in the process of finding more service staff for our restaurant and lounge.

All the best and see you soon,

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Bought room on Hotwire and was then charged 300.00 to my card!!! They didn't ask! When I called they said "we would have told you, but you didn't check out". What modern hotel do you have to check out of?? Ummm it's 2014, leave the key! I will NEVER stay here and don't anyone trust them with your credit card or personal information!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ChrissyUmi
Johan L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

As discussed between you and our Front Office Manager when you called, the $300 charge was for damage caused to the room during your stay. I apologize for not notifying you of this charge before you checked out. We had no way of knowing that there was damage to the room until our housekeeping department went to clean it after you left, and being a Hotwire reservation, we did not have your contact information.

Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this matter further.

860-528-2305

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel during a cheer competition. I can't say anything bad about our stay. Room was beautiful and spacious, staff was so nice, we had a shuttle to and from the convention center (which was a very welcome surprise), the onsite restaurant was great and reasonably priced. I will definitely stay here again next year, if we return for this competition! Thanks for a delightful stay!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Johan L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thanks for your review of our hotel. I am glad you had a good time during the SPIRIT Cheer Festival last weekend. It was a busy weekend for all and Hartford's complimentary DASH Shuttle really comes in handy for large events such as these when there are thousands of visitors all needing cabs, shuttles etc. at the same time.

We'll see you next year for SPIRIT 2015!

Best,

Johan

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Hartford I stayed at this hotel during a large conference being held in Hartford. It is located across the river from the Hartford convention center. It is a standard Holiday Inn. I arrived into Hartford by train, so it is a 10-15 minute taxi ride from the train station. It provides a nice panorama of the city center across the river. Check-in service was welcoming and friendly, and staff went out of their way to be helpful, and totally courteous at all times. The only anomaly here was the person serving in the bar restaurant in the evening. Not quite sure what was going on with her, but it was a strange encounter, and simply ordering a dessert and a glass of wine was quite hard work. The room on the 8th floor was really spacious, and seemed to be one of the larger rooms in the hotel. It was excellent, with a great working space and living area. The internet was free and available in all areas of the hotel. It seemed to function well for the three days I was there. The hotel is a pleasant walk across the river to the downtown area of Hartford, via a bridge a few minutes from the hotel. It gives lovely views of the city, and is part of a sculpture walk with several sculptures on the bridge. I would certainly recommend using a taxi to travel back and forth to the downtown area in the evening. It is a city that does not have a good reputation for safety, although we experienced no problems whatsoever. Do not take chances.

Room Tip: standard Holiday Inn style
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank WorldTraveller08901
Johan L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure to share your comments regarding the service in the bar with our Director of Food and Beverage. Feel free to call me at 860-528-2305 if you would like to expand on the experience.

We look forward to seeing you next time your travels bring you to the CT Convention Center or any of the attractions that Hartford has to offer.

Happy New Year!

Comfort Inn & Suites East Hartford
Radisson Hotel Hartford
Radisson Hotel Hartford
#6 of 12 in Hartford

Been to Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area? Share your experiences!