“Good hotel for the price”

Hartford Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in East Hartford
Reviewed 18 January 2009

This hotel is a good choice if you are visiting Hartford and are on a budget. I have stayed here several times on business. The hotel is conveniently located, right off of the highway about five minutes from downtown. The hotel lobby and rooms, while a bit dated, are always clean. The people at the front desk are always friendly and efficient. The hotel also offers free wireless internet, which is nice. On negative is that the hotel does not have a gym or workout room on site. Otherwise, I do not really have anything negative to say about my stays here.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 August 2008

I had read the reviews on Tripadvisor so I knew what I was in for but I was desperate. My family (sons: 4 & 7 years) & I wanted to visit the Essex Steam Train but could not find a closer hotel than this to our NY home because we planned too late. When we first arrived we saw the sign welcoming the rowdy rugby players we quickly encountered as they walked by us in the parking lot talking about getting drunk- not what a mom wants her kids to hear. I had asked the woman at the front desk to please find a room far away from the rugby players but her snippy tone was a firm no- there were no other rooms. I have to admit I would have just gone home had it not been so late and I wasn't so exhausted from what had been a great day till that point. I really wanted to cry, my 4 year old was crying but I was not going to giving up my room so that a bunch of punks could get drunk and have free reign of the hotel. My husband brought the bags up to our room and on the way to bringing the baggage truck back to the lobby noticed a beer can on the table near the elevator. He immediately brought the beer can to the front desk and spoke with the manager to control the obvious potential of serious problems. To the hotel's credit (and the coaches) we did not have one loud noise or incident. The 1 night stay was bearable but the hotel is in need of updating and repairs. Our room was on the side near I 84 and it was noisy but fan could drown out most of the noise.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2008

You can find some very good prices at this hotel.

This hotel is your basic Holiday Inn. Not new and nothing fancy, but it has clean rooms and the people at the front desk are relatively friendly. Also, wifi is free.

There's also a Mexican restaurant across the street that's always packed and has decent food.

I give it 4 out of 5, not because it is a 4-star hotel, but because it exceeded my expectations as far as anything in East Hartford goes.

If you can find a good rate, there's no reason not to stay at this fine establishment.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We stayed here several years ago and found the accommodations suitable and would book here again. The room and king size were comfortable and we did not have issues with noise from the highway or from adjacent rooms. There was a convention in the hotel but you would never have known there was one going on.

It's about 1/2 mile to I84 and easy to get to.

The staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2007

My main complaint with this place was the noise level. It is located right next to and below a major highway, making for a loud experience if you're on that side of the building like I was. In addition, there were several "sales training conventions" going in the hotel, which led to drunken 20somethings yelling in the halls and blasting music all night.

My room also had hot water issues. The desk clerk blamed the problems on me not knowing how to work the knob, until he finally agreed to send someone up to fix the problem.

The room was generally clean and parking wasn't a problem. Overall I'd recommend you check out other area hotels before settling here.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Stayed at Holiday Inn East Hartford for 2 nights Oct 4th, 2007. As stated by other reviewers the hotel is older but well maintained. We had a room on the fifth floor which had a small fridge & microwave. The room was large & clean, bathroom very small. The breakfast was a buffet, which was adequate, but overpriced at $10.50 per person. There is a diner (good breakfast) about 1-2 miles from the hotel, ask for directions at front desk. The hotel is very convenient to downtown Hartford. One word of warning, if you are a light sleeper ask for a room in the front of the hotel (facing Roberts st). The back of the hotel faces interstate 84 and the roar of the cars never stop. I would stay here again if in the Hartford area.

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed 9 April 2007

I stayed at the Holiday Inn East Hartford recently for 2 nights with my family. Bluntly I will never go back to this hotel again. It was old, dingy, dirty room, bad food at the restaurant. I am a priority club member and when I arrived I was originally booked for a room on the fifth floor but when I reminded them I had one dog (this was on my web booked reservation) they moved me to the third floor. The room was old, bathroom was dirty and the windows had a scum on them. It appeared they were switching out mattresses in the hotel and had them scattered in the lobby and hallways - gee that's nice to see!! One of them was actually leaning at the doorway of the elevator when I took the elevator down and when the door opened and my young son walked right into it, it almost fell on top of him!! I think this hotel has some very poor management. We went to the restaurant for breakfast and it was really bad - stale bread, eggs made from very old eggs, darkly lit and the waitress never bothered to check on us (we were the only ones there and it was 7:30 in the morning!). our bathroom floor was dirty and had a sticky substance on it, no Kleenex in the room, sink was very dirty and the paint was flaking off the doors. I would have left this hotel immediately but having a dog makes it hard to book travel elsewhere. I could go on but really would rather not. This Holiday Inn location is a blemish on the Holiday Inn corporation. I have stayed at other Holiday Inn locations that were really great. I'll never go back to this hotel and I feel like I paid $90/night for a hotel that was below Motel 6 standards. Stay away!!!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
Econo Lodge - East Hartford
Econo Lodge - East Hartford
#4 of 5 in East Hartford
Candlewood Suites Hartford Downtown

Been to Hartford Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!