“Great Pizza”

Cuisines: Pizza
New London, CT
“Great Pizza”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Having been raised on the East Haven/ New Haven boarder, I grew up just a couple of miles from Tolli's. Back in the 60's I always felt that Tolli's did not measure up to the other renowned pizza places in the New Haven area. I must say after my last visit, things have improved immensely and they are now up there with the best. I guess you have to be at your best to compete with so many great pizza restaurants in such small area. Also, restaurant is pretty nice for eat- in experience.

• Visited February 2012

New Haven, Connecticut
“Yum-Yum”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I think Tolli's has the best pizza around! Their italian dishes are good too.

Visited November 2011
Guilford, Connecticut
“Beware The Rip Off Add-ons”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

When I lived in East Haven, Tollis was a once a month favorite. Now that it is a 20 minute drive I hadn't been in some time and was looking forward to their thin crust, crunchy edge style of pizza. The restaurant was busy on the pizza side but we were seated quickly. Anthony (son of the owner) was our server-pleasant, energetic and a pleasure.
There were 3 of us with different ideas about what made a good pizza so we got creative.
A large pizza was ordered: 1/2 sausage and broccoli rabe, 1/4 just mozzarella, and 1/4 with mozzarella, clams and artichokes. Anthony said the pizza would be expensive because of the add ons but just how expensive could a large pizza be? Besides I did a quick calculation from the menu and figured about $25.00. On the menu a large with sausage and broccoli is $23.51 so half would be $11.76. The plain with mozzerella was 12.84 so 1/4 would be less than $4.00 and the other quarter figured in around $7.00. So add in a couple of bucks for the "custom" creation. Service was good but the pizza was not the pizza I remembered. Not really in the oven long enough, the way it used to be.
And then came the bill! The pizza alone was $43.00 with no explanation of how the price was calculated. Well I was forwarned, but almost twice what would have been reasonable? I should have requested a breakdown of costs but just wanted out of there-not to return.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank JACKTHETRAVELBUG
New Haven, Connecticut
“They used to have great pizza. Sadly, they went downhill.”
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Tolli's was my favorite pizza in East Haven. I tried it lately and it's not very good. I talked to other that used to love Tolli's and they feel the same way.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank landocolt45
New England
“Guess who came to dinner with the basketball team?”
Reviewed 2 June 2010

At the end of the biddy basketball year, we took the girls out to celebrate a winning season. All ten of the ten year old girls showed up to Tolli's for a pizza celebration. We often eat at Tolli's and appreciate their pizza and chicken parmigiana best. Everyone in town loves the pizza so it was a good spot to celebrate.

I called ahead of time and was advised they could handle our group just fine. As always, service was great on the phone and in person. I noticed a man sitting at a table eating pizza by himself. Some of the girls felt sorry for him because he was alone. He wore a white coat and I remember thinking I hoped he didn't get sauce on him. He smiled at the girls throughout the meal.

He looked vaguely familiar, but East Haven is a rather small town so I figured I knew him from around town. After paying the bill, we headed out the door and I noticed a picture on the wall. It was the very same man as who sat across from us, sitting alone. It was Bobby Flay! I felt so silly for not recognizing him.

If our basketball team approves, and so does Bobby Flay, you've got to try this place.