“Nice hotel”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Enfield
Columbia, New Jersey, United States
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We have stayed here twice for our annual trip to the Amherst Railway Show at the Big E. The hotel is very nice and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The bed and pillows were too soft for our liking but overall sleeping was ok. Everything was clean. Breakfast was "just ok". Would have liked more fruit choices and we are not fans of runny, powdered eggs. The bacon was excellent! Will definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. Overall our stay was very pleasant and we will be back next year!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Newbury NH
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Usually stay at the Hampton Inn in Enfield but it was booked up.

This Holiday Inn is a full service hotel with a restaurant and bar. The desk staff was friendly and helpful. Ate at the bar and the service was slow. Breakfast buffet in the morning was "okay" but the Hampton Inn would be better.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
GMHolidayInnENF, General Manager at Holiday Inn Enfield-Springfield, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
BillNewburyNH, we thank you for your feedback and sincerely apologize for falling short of your expectations.

I have shared your issues and concerns with the Food and Beverage team to ensure we can immediately focus on these items.

Should you be in the area again, please feel free to contact me directly. It would be a pleasure to make your acquaintance and be my personal guest.

Tom Rivera
860-741-2211
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

We attended the Amherst Railway show in Jan 2014 and was looking for a hotel close to the venue and this hotel fit the bill. Check-in was as expected, but the room was not.

We had a king 6th floor room that looked ok. The heating was ok, beds comfortable and roomy enough for the three of us. The pullout bed mattress still had the factory plastic on it.

However, the washroom/toilet was poorly constructed with signs of rust on the door and an exhaust fan that was so noisy that kept us up at night.

The breakfast was basic with the normal selections, but lacked fruit choices and oatmeal. The bacon was great!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Kungboy, firstly I wanted to thank you for choosing us during the Amherst Railway show. It seems a lot of basic expectations embarrassingly fell short.

We have investigated the items you mentioned and resolved them. I am very sorry that your experience has left a bad impression of the hotel. I promise you, we can do better.

Please give me a call and be my personal guest upon your next return to the area. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tom Rivera
860-741-2211
West Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Enfield last weekend for the Hobby Train Show at the Big E. The front desk staff (Robert at night and Aimia in the morning) were very helpful and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.The room was clean and they had a lovely restaurant. The food was really good and the service was outstanding. I would recomend this hotel to my family and friends for future hotel stays and I'll be back next year for the train show!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
GMHolidayInnENF, Manager at Holiday Inn Enfield-Springfield, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Monica R, thank you for the kind words and acknowledging our staff. Our goal is to make a lasting impression, use guest feedback as direct training opportunities, and follow up on comments and and suggestions.

See you next year and thank you.
Amsterdam, New York
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn this week while attending a family funeral. We stayed one night and it was NOT a good experience. The reservation confirmation said we would get a king size bed – ended up with two double beds. My husband went in search of ice and when he finally found the machine, it was out of order. He had to walk to the main desk (we were at the opposite end of the hotel) to get ice. Would it have been too difficult to put a sign at the front desk letting customers know about the ice machine?? The room was so-so: the curtains were dirty and shredded. To top it all off, when I got home, I had a call from the credit card company and the hotel. Apparently in the pre-authorization nonsense, they charged my card $1. When they tried placing the room charge on my card, a security red flag went up and my card was shut off. So then they tried charging $25 and $50. I guess they thought they would get their money in small increments. When I got home I had to spend 30 minutes on the phone between the hotel and fraud department of the credit card company to find out what happened. I called the hotel to ask them if they charged a $25 on my card they said NO!! When I called back, the same person admitted they charged $25 and $50. The pre-authorization attempts sound suspicious to me. I have one credit card and thanks to inappropriate actions of the hotel it was shut off while I was traveling. If I had experienced an emergency while on the road, I would have had no credit card to use. Shame on management for not correcting the pre-authorization issue even though another guest raised the same concern. Save yourself a credit card headache -- find another hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Enfield-Springfield, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear 796jbm,

Thank you for your review about your stay. It is truly unfortunate to see that you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wylie, Texas
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed in this hotel three times prior to this stay. The lounge and restaurant have been upgraded successfully from an appearance stand point. The food quality and menu choices have not improved and need to improve to be acceptable. The evening buffet items were not warm. I doubt the buffet food temperatures would meet health standards. The temperature issue was also true at the breakfast buffet.

The first room we were given had missing furniture and a mirror torn of the bathroom door. The desk staff graciously handled that problem by reassigning rooms. The second room was marginally clean with mold in the bath shower inclosure and a bathroom floor that needed the attention of a mop. My wife attempted to communicate with a member of the cleaning staff on the second day we were there to inform her we did not need the room made-up, just clean towels. She did not speak English. This is not an issue because she appeared to be working very hard however supervision is important in that situation. I never saw a clipboard carrying room inspector that is common in hotels.

The airport limousine is not complimentary nor is it efficient. Their vehicle is not marked and it is dirty. The driver was a half hour late picking us up. In conversation with the driver he mentioned he had report to work at normal time which was the same time he was to pick us up. This is a scheduling problem not a driver problem.

My wife and I are IHG Platinum members. We stay in IHG hotel a great deal. I believe this hotel is at the board line of acceptability. I believe there is great potential in this hotel but I believe there is a serious management problem. If it is not addressed I do not believe this hotel should remain an IHG hotel.

Stayed October 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Enfield-Springfield, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear edmac48,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate this experience was not on par with previous stays you have had with us. We do take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that could use additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Albany, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This is a remodeld full service Holiday Inn. I was there for a retirement dinner in one of their banquet rooms, and I stayed overnight. I didn't use a lot of the hotels facilities because I was there a very short period of time, but everything seemed fairly new.

The room was good sized and clean, and the furnitured appeared to be new. Televison was falt screen HD which was great because I watched one of the MLB playoff games. Bathroom fixtures were older but well kept.

The hotel has a small bar area, and the night I was there they had live music in the early evening (5-8). The restaurant was also nice, I had a continential breakfast which was included in my room because I am a Priority Club member, and for $5 I could upgrade to a full breakfast buffet.

Overall the hotel was worth the price.

Room Tip: You might want to chose a lower floor because the elevators move very slow.