“Some Good Points, Some Let Downs”
Review of Enfield Inn

Enfield Inn
Enfield Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Enfield
Guildford, England
“Some Good Points, Some Let Downs”
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We stayed here on vacation (a fly-drive holiday) and this review is based on the criteria that matter to us; price, cleanliness, customer friendliness, and a good night's sleep.

Price: $65 for one night, the lowest we paid in 15 nights.

Cleanliness: We were given a large room in the 'corner of the L' in the front block. Everything was clean, the room has clearly been refurbished in the last year or so, the bathroom was fine.

Customer Friendliness: We were checked in by a gentleman who described himself as the hotel handyman, a friendly and larger-than-life character. Later in the evening our toilet got blocked up and my wife was quite upset and embarrassed by it. We told reception (the same person) and he came and got it unblocked in record time with no fuss or bother and made light of the whole thing which my wife appreciated. The lady on reception in the morning was friendly and helped us with directions and suggestions of places to visit.

Sleep: The motel is set back from the road and we had no problem getting a good nights sleep. There is a bar/club adjacent to the motel but it generated little noise.

There are some downsides. An internal stairwell does smell of mildew. The breakfast bar was lacking dishes and the fruit juice dispenser was not working.

We found it was not as bad as many reviewers have posted here, bear in mind it is a low-budget motel and we got a good nights sleep and we saved $25 to $30 which we now have to spend on other things on our holiday :-)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike1087

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
New Bedford Ma.
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Found Bed Bugs. Water Stains on the walls, smell of mildew everywhere. Stay away !!!!! don't pay extra for a cot. It sinks to the floor in the middle. Box spring mattress was all broken up. Very bad experience. Will never stay there again!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Enfield hotels

ct
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Had I been able to drive a bit more down the road I am sure I would have found something better.
The staff (especially this guy named John) was less than helpful, the rooms smelled like a old musty house. the heat/air units in the room worked when it wanted.
A total waste of my money. I would not even recommend this place to my enemies.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Staying there
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
Reno
Reviewed 26 September 2008

The staff is clearly in the middle of overhauling the rooms, but my room was clean and had already been renovated and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The laundry room worked, but did need some attention. The breakfast items were fresh. The hotel is conveniently located but not in a noisy area. I couldn't even hear the planes from Bradley Airport once in my room.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank shandygirlReno
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 8 August 2007

OH it started out OK. I wasn't expecting a luxury hotel but just a clean room to stay one night as a family member was flying in late to Hartford. The front desk staff was nice and even had the AC on for me in the room as it was over 95 degrees outside.

The room "looked" clean. It was older but hey it is a Super 8 and not the Ritz. The TV had some issues but I didn't care. I just wanted to grab a quick nap and then head to the airport, pick up my family member, come back, sleep and leave pretty early for the rest of our trip.

It wasn't until the middle of the night that I felt little prickings and woke up to find my bed covered and I mean COVERED with bedbugs. I have traveled all over Europe and some really off the beaten track places but I have never seen that many bedbugs in my entire life!! It was 4AM and needless to say we grabbed our stuff and literally RAN from the room. I think I left the door open that is how fast we got out of there.

Unfortunately, the kid working the front desk didn't seem to care. He gave me a blank stare and said "So, are you checking out then?"

Um...yea....and NEVER EVER staying there again.

There are cheaper and cleaner places one exit before this one. For the extra 20 bucks...stay anywhere but here.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Bedbugs
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank breadchick
East Coast
Reviewed 26 July 2006

It was about $30 higher than the cheapest chain.

In contrast to the cheaper chain, it had a full size bathroom with tub, a decently equiped writing desk, refrigerator, iron, and alarm clock.

The room numbers on door are very small and hard to read from parking area.

It snowed heavily, and although the driveways were cleared, the walkways were not cleared as of checkout time.

• Liked — quiet area, quiet rooms, clean enough.
  • Disliked — Small room numbers hard to see from parking area
  • Stayed June 2006
2 Thank WheatBoy
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 1 October 2005

I stayed here (closest Super 8 to the Hartford/Springfield Airport) with my mom, and my aunt overnight on our way back from a visit to Vermont. The whole experience was terrible. I was given a smoking room when I requested non-smoking. The carpet was extremely dirty you do not want to walk without shoes/slippers on all the time. The AC/heater was not functioning properly or was noisy at best. This is a rip-off for its price. This really ruins the Super 8 name that I used to know as a decent hotel chain. The bottom line:STAY AWAY FROM THIS AT ALL COST!

• Stayed October 2004
2 Thank HarryIndy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Red Roof Inn
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Airport
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Airport
#11 of 14 in Windsor Locks
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield

Been to Enfield Inn? Share your experiences!