Griswold Inn
Priceline
Liberty Inn(Old Saybrook)
US$91
US$79
Pier Blue Guesthouse(Old Saybrook)
US$79
US$197
Clinton Motel(Clinton)
US$74
US$64
All reviewswine barnew englandconnecticut riverquaint townmain buildingmodern bathroomgreat lunchclam chowdersitting roomprime ribstep back in timeantique furnituregreat historybagelscodsmall roomstandard room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Charming old historic inn!
Our room was very clean nicely decorated - second floor older room in oldest section- antique wide planked floors, antique furniture very nice!
Arrived late after the restaurant closed and staff did accommodate a light meal for us which was fine as hungry and on road and everything in town was closed. Live music was very good.
Breakfast was included muffins cereals fresh fruit etc
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at this wonderful Bed and Breakfast this past weekend. The Inn was just beautiful! Our room on the 2nd floor had the view of the main street. The historical feeling of the little village was just wonderful. This Inn also has a Wine Bar which is where we started our evening with tapa's and a wonderful selection of wines. We then went into their restaurant for dinner. The food was all wonderful! Nice selection of choices. I had the duck in a cherry sauce and my husband had scallops along with a nice bottle of wine that we had tasted earlier. On Friday night they had a 60's theme and the band playing in the tavern was awesome! Enjoyed some great music and made some new friends as well! The staff throughout the whole place was top notch!!! It was a perfect evening!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy G
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I took my wife for a one-night stay in celebration of her birthday. Upon arrival we were greeted by Stephanie, the manager on premises at the time who exuded the sort of pride and attentiveness that you might expect only from a property owner. Her enthusiasm and pride would continue to light up our night. At the front desk, Jared greeted us with the news that we had been upgraded (thank you Maura) on account of Deb's birthday (and as we found out later also because Maura, who booked the reservation with me, really enjoyed our conversation- as did I). If you are looking for the Taj Mahal, this is not the place. This inn was built in 1776 and it shows it's wear (and might I add it does so beautifully). The small to large dining rooms each have their own themes and the abundance of maritime (or is it river-time) art is amazing. Many thanks to Theresa who served us in the Tap Room, to the young man who was entertaining (sorry I forgot his name but he is there every Sunday night- BE THERE). Also to Sharon and Kristen who served us dinner and kept us completely and happily entertained. My entree this night was not spot on but every other morsel was perfect and Deb could not have been happier with everything. Finally, that upgraded room (room #4) was very nicely appointed, a view out onto Main Street and the nearby shops. They even provided a foot-stool so that the shortest of us could easily get into bed. We simply loved it and we suspect you will too.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveldude101
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We've stayed many times at the Griswold over the years and love the ambiance, the lovely paintings and prints and the food. This visit was a little disappointing as the room was next to the dumpsters, the "fireplace" though cute couldn't be seen from the bed or chairs, the fan in the bathroom was so loud you couldn't think, and the fan outside competed with it. The toilet leaked and one of the bulbs outside was out. The location was partly our fault as my partner is a smoker and I wanted a room where he could get outside. But I know there were other rooms available that night that weren't behind the dumpsters (and of course they did empty them early the next morning).

The pub, as always, was hopping and the sea chanty music was delightful. My other half had a great moose entree, but my short ribs, usually outstanding, could have been anything. They were tough and tasteless. Fortunately, the potatoes and extra demi glace I asked for were excellent and I ate those as dinner (no vegetables or bread were offered). It was a frigid night in January, but I was pretty disappointed.

If it had been our first visit, we wouldn't return (except to hear music). But having stayed in lovely rooms in the past, we'll give it another shot.

I still love the Gris, but would be extremely careful about selecting a room.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 20
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jodyreynolds2
Reviewed 2 January 2014

From the moment we drove up Main St. and walked into "The Gris", I knew that this was going to be an experience that you can't find anywhere else. The Gris has it's on character that can't be duplicated or faked, it's curated very carefully down to the period piece furniture, artwork on the walls and fireplaces in the wall. I highly recommend the Tap Room and Wine Bar for some of the best food and ambience in all of Essex without losing the feel of Old World Americana. They even have an original Norman Rockwell on display as well as moving mural behind the bar that rocks slowly as if you were at sea. The Staff was on point and always there for us. A must trip in your life and I will continue to check in every new years and summertime.

Room Tip: The goods and curiosities is my fav
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple