“Escape to the 1700s”

Ranked #1 of 1 Essex B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Escape to the 1700s”
Reviewed 31 May 2004

My fiance surprised me with a weekend getaway to the "Gris". The entire inn is bedecked with New England charm. They have recreated a covered bridge as one of their dining rooms!

I was expecting classic but drab New England food for dinner, but wow! The restaurant is simply incredible. The Sunday hunt brunch was more classic, and probably not worth a drive to Essex, but I was still relishing the previous night's dinner of salmon wrapped in pancetta topped with lobster.

The suite we stayed in was tastefully decorated with wonderful old hardwood floors, oriental rugs, and a poster bed, not to mention the incredibly powerful water pressure and water views from the third floor. I felt like I was in the late 1700's while staying in the room, except for the modern electronic conveniences.

I spent the night slumbering comfortably and dreaming of veal osso bucco. Overall, a wonderful romantic weekend retreat was had in a quaint New England town with a surprisingly delicious dinner.

10 Thank illyrias

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 March 2004

I bought my husband a weekend away at The Griswold Inn as a Birthday present. We made reservations well in advance for Saturday, February 21st. The accomodations were very very disappointing...borderline terrible...I think the suite was #39...above the craft store. The suite they put us in was across the street, which was fine, but the suite itself was terrible. The furniture was drab, there was nothing on the walls, just plain drab. The worst part was the bathroom. The floor, the tub and the toilet were in unacceptable condition. The toilet, which looked like a fairly new fixture, had months of crud on the lower back near the toilet seat handles. The floor and tub had mold and mildew...I mean awful. Couldn't believe that you would pay $150.00 for the night and this is what they presented. When I checked out and voiced my complaint, the young lady at the desk asked me if I wanted to see their other rooms. Now why would I want them to show me the other rooms, if the were nicer, why wasn't I given one of them. I told her no need...I wouldn't be coming back. My husband and I have stayed at a lot of the New England Inns and this is by far the worst experience. It would never stack up to a class act like The Old Tavern in Grafton Vermont.
As far as I'm concerned the establishment should take my comments very seriously.... and I would expect a response to this critique.

24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Yonkers, ny
Reviewed 17 January 2003

We've been staying at the Griswold Inn at twice per year (once in Winter, once in Spring or Fall) for at least 10 years. We're only 1.5 hours away, so sometimes we just go for an overnight.

We love the taproom with its popcorn machine and weekend sing-along entertainment. It is a little bit silly, a lot of fun, and a guaranteed stress-reducer.

The food at the Griswold is classic New England. The fried seafood is too die for - I spend time reviewing the menu and then always end up ordering the fried scallops, for I've never had better.

The rooms are quaint and pleasant - we especially like the suites above the the little stores across the street. We usually spend Saturday walking visiting the shops and antique stores - hit the taproom around 4 for a cocktail and then back to our room to rest before dinner. The band plays till around midnight.

We have yet to try the famous Sunday Hunt Breakfast, but we plan to next weekend - we've already booked our suite. All in all, one of our favorite inns.

18 Thank fesnina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
#7 of 7 in Old Saybrook
The Copper Beech Inn
The Copper Beech Inn
#1 of 2 in Ivoryton

Been to Griswold Inn? Share your experiences!