“Lobster Roll”

Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Essex
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual waterfront dining located in the Brewer's Dauntless Shipyard. A bit hard to find but defintely worth the effort. Abby's Place serves American cuisine with a flair, specializing in fresh, locally sourced meats and seafood.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

It was a holiday weekend and they were closing early they took us in. They didn't have chicken fingers. For the little one, they did have tasty delights for mom and dad. Lobster roll was to live for! Yumm! One of the best. I can't even remember what my husband had, but he loved it. The location Quite,cute,lazy little town near marina. It was nice. We will go back again.

1  Thank Edinburghhome

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

The best part of having to return to Essex for a second night after fog thwarted our departure, was a chance to have another meal at Abby's. The food was crazy-fresh, delicious and creative. Abby is warm and welcoming, as are her staff. The location, overlooking a marina, is charming as is the sea glass palette of the cafe. It is well worth a detour, or making Essex your destination (it's a sweet coastal village). Thanks for some awesome chow, Abby!

2  Thank Ali747
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had not been to Abby's until recently as someone told me they were too expensive but I was treated to lunch there by a friend two weeks ago and I've already been back to take my Mom out to lunch. It is only expensive if you are expecting a luncheonette kind of place. Abby's is much more than that and has fantastic, fresh food and really friendly staff. It is inside a Marina and overlooks the water. The day we went was sunny and a little cool, absolutely perfect for sitting outside. Mom got the Hot Lobster Roll which I did not since I had one in Niantic a few days earlier. She gave me a taste and I had such entree envy. The pieces of lobster were gigantic and the hot buttered roll was toasted and had just the right amount of crisp chewiness. My entree was actually delicious but nothing can beat that lobster roll. I had the Toasted Pecan Salad and added crab meat salad to it. It was delicious and a perfect size. I did not have an app nor a dessert but was completely full.

2  Thank Citymominwoods
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Sit inside or out on the deck with views of the Connecticut River and see the many boats in the harbor or sailing along. Great sandwiches and very friendly service. Casual atmosphere. Tucked away so ask for directions if you don't see it.

2  Thank JackX729
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I have been and still am an Abby's Place customer at least once if not more each week. I have enjoyed both her breakfasts and lunches and have not once been disappointed. The food is delicious, individually prepared (not process or preportioned) and Abby, the owner, is also the chef and in the kitchen every day to bring you her best Tuesday through Sunday each week.

The restaurant setting is most pleasant, especially in the spring, summer and fall when the boats in the marina are in the water and the views of the inlet and North Cove are quite visible. During that time, the deck is also open which allows for those who prefer dining outside. Inside, there is always soft music playing which allows for a peaceful meal to enjoy alone or with family or friends; no rock to upset digestion, all the while the urge to please by the staff is paramount. There really is no other place I know quite like this pretty, well appointed restaurant which can be accessed either from the entrance on Pratt Street or at the foot of Bushnell Street which is just off North Main Street in Essex.

Soon, Abby's Place will be opening for summer dinners which are amazing, to say the least. Don't forget to try her fantastic Lobster Roll. Delicious !

2  Thank Melanie P