“Still there”

Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the “storybook” village of Essex mere steps from the Connecticut River, this 1776 landmark offers three distinct dining experiences. “Historic Dining” is offered in four handsome rooms - The Covered Bridge, The Gun Room, The Library and The Essex Room – where a renowned maritime art collection fills the walls. The Inn’s New England heritage and connection with the sea is apparent in the classic seasonal cuisine offered; diners may enjoy a more contemporary culinary experience in the stunning wine bar featuring tapas-style dining and an extensive selection of wines by the glass; tavern fare is offered in the atmospheric, award-winning Tap Room where lively music rings out nightly. Patio dining is an option May through October, weather permitting. Lunch and dinner served daily, Hunt Breakfast on Sunday.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I first went to the Griswold Inn when I was eight years old on a family cruise around Long Island Sound. That was 50 years ago, and I have to say it has not changed much. The interior is still a classic New England tavern, lots of small rooms that ramble through the ground floor and dark wood with nautical decor. outside was a small patio where we chose to sit, since it was a lovely summer's day. Pretty sure that the menu has been updated though, and we all enjoyed our fried clams, potato cakes and salads. New England is known for traditions, and we were not disappointed.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently moved into Essex; the Griswold was the first place I went out for dinner to. Upon walking into the dinning room I was taken by its commitment to its heritage, dating back to 1776. It was a Friday night, and the place was packed. Yet, service was accommodating and steady. Their Revolutionary Ale is the quintessential English pale ale. For dinner I had the Rack of Lambs; they were mouthwatering. My experience was an absolute delight. Great introduction to the eateries in Essex.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Great place to stop by for lunch and a nice glass of wine during your walk through Essex village. Food is good and the waitstaff is very friendly. The pasta on the lunch menu was good and the lobster roll was excellent. They have bands in the evening most nights of the week during the summer season.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We drive from Milford to Essex just for their Sunday brunch. It's a buffet and the spread - which includes an omelette and waffle station - is amazing and delicious.

I love the old world charm of the place and whenever we went there was some live music.

They are always busy so I recommend having reservations instead of walking in.

1  Thank MadhuDRoy
Reviewed 16 July 2014

On a recent trip to Essex, CT for lunch, I checked Trip Advisor and saw that this place was #1..so off we went. We have eaten here in the past but not recently. What a disappointment! I ordered Fish and Chips because it featured it as a house specialty and I love Fish and Chips. I felt embarrassment for this restaurant. This restaurant is a piece of history..great ambiance, (for supper) not so great for lunch as there are no windows and the space is dark albeit full of gorgeous sailing pictures and historical mementoes. As I looked around, I realized that everyone seated as a guest was "mature". The staff was pleasant and professional but I'll be going elsewhere in Essex for lunch.

1  Thank daruten1

Been to Griswold Inn ~ Dining? Share your experiences!