“Disappointing visit” 2 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
The Spa of Essex
Ranked #3 of 13 things to do in Essex
More attraction details
Owner description: The Spa of Essex, an elite and elegant day spa, sits on three secluded acres just a short walk from the Essex Village. The Spa of Essex offers more than simply treatments, they promise an experience! Escape, relax and renew.
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Disappointing visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I've visited the Spa of Essex several times, and I've never been disappointed - until my latest visit last weekend. I had a stomach bug, and I thought I was over it, but I became sick during my massage. The staff IMMEDIATELY assumed I was pregnant, discontinued my massage, charged me full price, and forced me to sign a disclaimer (which I had ALREADY signed YEARS ago) about certain procedures being contraindicated during pregnancy (I'm sterile).

I won't be back.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Kaylee97

Killingworth, Connecticut
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 149 helpful votes
“Poor service and improper technique used”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

I received a gift card so I tried the Spa of Essex. By outward appearances, it is quite lovely. On the plus side, the treatment areas were spotless. However, I had a spa pedicure and gel manicure. I'd hate to see what a basic pedicure was because this spa pedicure was bare bones for $75. No massage, no lotion, no callous treatment , no paraffin. The shellac gel chipped within 2 days. I've had this done many times. It ALWAYS lasts at least 2 weeks. When it starts to grow out and look sloppy I can't get the polish off. This was coming off in sheets. They were good about offering to fix it but couldn't get me in for 4 days. By then, a second finger chipped- fine, no charge. The technician assured me if there was any further problem to call them. I got home and within an hour the other hand was peeling. They scheduled me for the next morning but then an hour before the appt. called to say I'd be charged full price to remove the gel and reapply it. No thank you. $ 57 for a manicure that lasts 2 days and $75 for a so- called spa pedicure (that does look great still and it is regular polish) plus $30 tip. I cannot afford to be ripped off like this.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank MM8803
Essex, Connecticut
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“don't go there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Loud inattentive service. Warm, old water in relaxation room. Reluctant to correct a terrible manicure.

5 Thank irisbow
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Good services, but nothing extraordinary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

If you need/ want a good facial and don't want to go far, this is a good bet. Clean, lovely facilities. Soundproofing is a problem, though. They have a lot of services here, and a knowledgeable staff.

Visited August 2011
Connecticut
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Relaxation plus!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

This spa offers a variety of wonderful services. I have been many times and love the serenity one feels the minute you enter the spa. The relaxation rooms both before and after offer an added bonus to superior staff services. I highly recommend this spa.

Visited June 2012