“Nice Marriott Property”

Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I had a room with a king size bed in it, the space was a nice size. The Bed as always is very comfortable. Free WIFI, plenty of outlets to charge all of my many devices.

The bed is facing towards the window, and the TV is on the furniture off to the right. I never understand why hotels do that. I'm aware you can turn the TV towards the bed, but I never like that in a hotel room.

The Staff is nice, there are plenty of places to park, and its close to a nice mall, and plenty of other places to shop and spend money.

There is a Barnes and Nobles next door, Mcdonalds, Burger King and Chilis

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I agree with the few reviews of this property that suggested it's not quite up to Marriott standards, but my overall experience was still pretty good. The hotel was easy to get to, but a little cumbersome to get out of, because of the one-way road and limited U-turns. It appears to be fairly new, but is already showing a few signs of wear and tear, like the wallpaper that's bubbling in the bathroom and the oil spots on the bathroom ceiling. Other than the slightly moldy shower curtain, the room was very clean, and the sheets and pillows were crisp and clean and perfect. The A/C worked very well, which isn't always the case these days, even in more expensive hotels. On the other hand, there was no A/C in the elevator, which had to be 130 degrees. The television and remote worked better than most. There's a very small swimming pool and a hot tub, along with a business area, a restaurant area, and a bar area. The exercise room seemed adequate, but one of the three (?) machines was out of order. The few staff members I came into contact with were very friendly and helpful. The general area appears to be pretty safe, and there's a Panera nearby (although in the wrong direction of the one-way street), as well as a shopping mall and a few gas stations and fast-food joints. All in all, I would give it a solid 3 to 3.5 stars, and well worth the price I paid (but not worth the published price). I hope this is helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Dear David H,

I pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I have certainly noted and discussed the issues that you encountered during your stay. I hope when you return to the area you will give us the opportunity to exceed your solid stay with an exceptional one.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

The location was perfect for our teenage sons baseball tournament at CCSU. The staff was courteous yet very over worked and the hotel was understaffed for a very busy weekend in June. For example, the one person working the Sunday breakfast, made omlets, bussed tables, and rang up checks. When asked about this he said he stepped up to help out but was actually the manger of housekeeping. This hotel did not live up to the standards of the Marriotts we are used too. We were disappointed with the cleanliness of our room and the bathroom door lock was completely broken. It was the second room they put us in so we didn't complain. The first one was a handicapped room on the first floor between the pool, elevators, staircase and exit. Oh and the air conditioning transformers were out the window!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mamalovestravel,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I apologize for the multiple issues you encountered that resulted in your disappointment with your stay. As a loyal Marriott customer, I’m disappointed we didn’t meet and exceed your expectations. I have shared this information with the leadership team at our daily meeting. I would love to have the opportunity to further discuss your stay and set up a return visit so we have the opportunity to provide you with the level of service and accommodations that you have come to expect as a loyal Marriott customer.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Hotel appears new, well furnished, easy to get to from the freeway, GREAT staff, but I just don't get why chains are going "on the cheap" when building their sites. I would recommend staying on the top floor. Inevitably I seem to end up below a guest who needs to do aerobics, or move furniture at 2:00 am. Why get a hotel room to move furniture for an hour? Maybe I don't understand today's travelers. None the less, I called the desk to ask if I could move up for my second night. Can't go back to sleep now some two hours later, so my advice is shoot for the top floor if you want to sleep during the night's stay. Otherwise a nice property at a good rate.

Room Tip: TOP FLOOR. Marriott got the cheap 3/8ths plywood for this one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank OnTheRoadAgnn
Reviewed 14 June 2013

It's a shame when a brand doesn't live up to its promise.

In this case, Marriott, well known for its "no smoking" policy, fails. And that failure ultimately hurts Marriott because, in our case, an otherwise good weekend experience was entirely overshadowed by cigarette and "other" smoke from several guest rooms constantly in the air on our floor and unavoidably vented into other guest rooms. For those of us unlucky enough to be sensitive to smoke, that makes for a miserable experience. We'll come back to that.

First, the good: Good location near good amenities, the hotel is in reasonable condition with comfortable furnishings and, importantly, one of the more comfortable beds we have found in these past few months of travel.

Apart from our checkout experience, the front desk staff were excellent to work with, genuinely engaged and genuinely responsive. The lady who managed the lobby bar was outstanding in her efforts to assist us to organise dinners to be delivered by local restaurants. She is a winner.

Lobby amenities are better than we expected at a Courtyard, and, all in all, there is much to commend this hotel. BUT...

Despite all this, we are left with an extremely negative experience because of the pervasive nature of the smoke from the various guest rooms. We found the hotel response to be lacking both with regard to the cigarette smoke and the "other" smoke. Spray scent over-sprayed in the halls only adds to the problem. Not our idea of a proper response.

On checkout, when we received the familiar "how was your stay" question, we raised the smoking issue and were met only with "sorry about that." Not a great way to say goodbye to a guest.

The verdict? an otherwise lovely and enjoyable hotel experience significantly marred by a fundamental issue. If you are going to be and advertise "Non-smoking" you must actively promote the promise and deal decisively with offenders.

Room Tip: Definitely a high floor, away from very noisy ice machine and elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Doctor-and-Lawyer
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear Doctor and Lawyer,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I apologize that we didn’t exceed your expectations on all facets of your stay. I will share you feedback with the leadership team at our next staff meeting.
I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you personally to review and resolve the issues you encountered to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Came in town for a college graduation at Wesleyan (which is right down the road). Could not have picked a better location and hotel. It was exceptional from the staff to the room to the location. It couldn't be beat. I would definitely recommend anyone coming to Hartford for business or college graduations to take a serious look at this hotel. Very clean and super location. We had issues with the cooler in our room and the staff had it fixed pronto. One of the best in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Dear Skip W,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I’m glad our hotel was able to help you enjoy attending such a special occasion as a graduation. Please come back and see us again if you are in the area, we’d love to have you back.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

The hotel was clean. Equipment up to date. The staff was very help full. My room was on the first floor near the stairs and the exit door. The hotel has very heavy doors that tend to close with a loud noise. My only issue was the last room to be rented should be on the first floor by the stairway and exit door. On prom night people went in and out ALL night!

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear OnOurTwoWheels,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay. I very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken note to your feedback regarding the doors on the first floor. I hope if you are in the area again you will be our guest. We would be delighted to serve you again

Richard Pennyman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#5 of 6 in Farmington
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford
Avon Old Farms Hotel

Been to Courtyard Hartford Farmington? Share your experiences!