“Property Shows its Age”

Hartford Marriott Farmington
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed 3 June 2012

This hotel needs a makeover, inside and out. The hotel is in a wooded area and from the outside it looks dingy, moldy, and stodgy. The lobby and common areas look like they've been updated, but not the right kind of updates.

I was put on the concierge level in one of the outer buildings. I liked that when you arrive on the concierge level, you are immediately in the lounge. The rooms have also been updated, but again, not the right kind of updates.

I'll try and stay somewhere else next time I'm in the area.

Room Tip: They're all the same. I think I might rather stay in the main building.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This hotel is not as nice as a lot of Marriotts, but for the middle of Connecticut, it is pretty good. They have an outdoor running path through the woods, which is cool.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Very nice hotel! Great location for business and leisure. Right off main hwy Rte 84. Good proximity to gas, typical commercial eats, and business as well as other activities. Quiet hotel even though we were amongst 300 kids and their parents. Security for the back parking lot could be a little more assuring, the doors being outdated did not close properly. Did not eat in hotel as we were constantly on the run to the tournament. Would stay again, however would book a lot further in advance since the weekend was a holiday weekend and during a tournament. Thanks Marriott for making our stay in Farmington - enjoyable!!

Room Tip: Book early and expect to book a 2 night minimum during a holiday weekend. If looking for good prox...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I stay in Marriott hotels when I travel, which is at least one week a month. This Marriott was OK, but it is in a pretty rural location. When I first checked into their "E" wing, My T-Mobile cell phone had not only no bars but displayed a circle with a line through it. I had to leave the building and wander around the parking lot before I could place a call. I also have an iPad with Verizon 4G and it too had terrible connectivity issues.
After a day I asked to have my room changed to the very front of the hotel, where reception was still on again off again, but at least I could sometimes make a connection from inside my room.
The wireless Internet here is a total joke. Difficult to remain connected and once connected it was slower than dialing up on a modem.
My co-workers also found that AT&T cell connections were bad at this hotel as well.
It's not the Marriott's fault it's just a bad location for cell service.

Room Tip: Get a room in the front of the hotel if you plan to use your cell phone.
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Recently i had a business trip in wider area of Farmington, and have stayed in two different rooms in a 5 days period.
Hotel is located in the middle of the office complex so they probably aim at business travelers mostly. From the outside it has that old style "modern" look. On the inside it looks like it has been regularly updated.

Room:
Upon entering the room first thing i noticed was the slight smell of carpet cleaning solution. Results were visible - carpets were actually very clean. Both rooms i used had a double bed and were quite spacious. First one was on ground level, and second was one level up. First one had a comfortable armchair with extension for legs, but this was missing in the next room.

Coffee from the machine in the room was ok. Room had some kind of multimedia box where you could connect your electronics to get picture and sound from a big TV, but i didn't test it. All the usual gadgets were there. Bathroom was clean, and had complimentary body lotions, shampoo, and mouthwash. Hair dryer was there, but i had to find it first.

Both rooms had a very noisy airconditioning unit! If you are a light sleeper you'll need to turn this thing off and perhaps open a window a little. I could sleep trough anything, and didn't care much about it, but even i have noticed loud noises it made when it was switching on and off.

When i looked closely around the room, i noticed that wallpaper was pealing away in the corners behind curtains. Also handle of the bathtub tap stayed in my hand when i tried to use it, and i had to reattach it back before using it.

WiFi in the room was working but i didn't really stress it with any data-intensive applications so that's all i can tell you: it was working.

Staff:
Staff was great! Very pleasant, very helpful,...
Cleaning lady even collected all my cosmetics that i have scatered accross the bathroom and stacked them neatly on a small towel next to the sink.

Breakfast:
I received complimentary vouchers for "continental breakfast", and when i saw what's offered for breakfast, i realised that i will have to pay extra to upgrade or stay hungry.
When upgraded, breakfast was good. When not upgraded it didn't exist.

On general this place looks like it has been much more luxurious before, and now it could be said that it is a quite decent shadow of it's former glory.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first and second level were ok.
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I always check TripAdvisor reviews before booking a hotel. And when I see mostly positive reviews, yet in reality have a bad experience it bothers me. Perhaps all good reviews were posed by management? Or am I living in some alien reality where what's terrible to me is fantastic for others?!

As a Marriott Elite, I 'expect' a full Marriott (vs a Courtyard or Residence Inn) to be a solid 3-4 star hotel. I am realistic and don't expect a Ritz or JW experience but certain standards which if lowered are unacceptable in my opinion.

I got a Saturday night AAA rate of $104 + tax; I arrived at around 2am on Sunday after a long rainy drive from NYC. Free parking was nice and the Jamaican lady at the front desk of this quiet hotel was being really sweet. She checked us in to room 447 and gave us breakfast buffet vouchers for the next morning (Marriott Elite members get breakfast vouchers because the club lounges are usually closed over weekends).

Anyway, the rooms are tiny (and apparently mine was an upgrade to one of their larger rooms), carpet, wallpaper, ceiling paint are ripped, peeling and dirty. Really strong kind of mould smell, bathroom excruciatingly small (literally 'impossible' for 2 people to stand by the mirror together) but an extra effort on the amenities was visible.
Bed very uncomfortable, I would have taken less 3 vs 7 pillows for a little more comfort and the internet was just NOT working!

Breakfast felt like that of a 24 hour diner somewhere deep in the middle of the I-95 but with actually friendly staff who did their job not knowing much better.

Sorry but this was a total motel experience, NEVER a Marriott... I gotta say I'm surprised...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Check in-check out issue after after MULTI ISSUES during stay caused much more stress for this family. Staff were phenomenal but limited within scope of job to fix problems at hand, and there were many! Spoke with front office mgr Dillan at check out, and at length again today after discovering there was a huge overcharge put on my debit visa checking acct card which subsequently wiped out my account, had NO knowledge of these charges, was given a slip at check out, and the difference I discovered at home was doubled. Spent AN HOUR OF MY DAY today conferencing between hotel mgr, and my bank mgr. I AM VERY CLEAR IT WAS NOT A BANK ERROR BUT A HOTEL ONE, add to this all the other issues I had from check in being handled improperly cause I needed to make two forms of payment one for fri, one for sat. most other places allow this and take care of at check out, not here. Was misinformed they surcharge for roomservice, hotel keys not working properly, (never told them because of all the other issues I had) a/c in rm didnt work, and the hallway was super loud all night, then the overcharge today and NOT having access to my money from yesterday at check out thru 2 pm today and having the extra stresses they put on me because of this gliche is TOTALLY UNEXCEPTABLE, So thank you for the very little consideration to all the uncomfortable awkardness of this weekend MADE FOR AN ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE TIME which shouldve been otherwise very enjoyable time...

Room Tip: Dont stay in rm in main hallway off of the lobby
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank melissa d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#5 of 6 in Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington

Been to Hartford Marriott Farmington? Share your experiences!