“Not the greatest Marriott”

Hartford Marriott Farmington
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Farmington
jamadelizmom
“Not the greatest Marriott”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We just got back from spending 2 nights at this hotel. We had to stay here due to the rules of a soccer tournament my daughter was playing in. This really is not a great place. I would never stay here again unless forced. Check-in was difficult because of a mistake with our name, the restaurant service was bad. They ran out of most appetizers on Friday night. I paid cash from some items and the gentleman behind the desk tried to give me the wrong change (I was breaking a $50 bill and he gave me change for a $10). Also, there is nothing in the area, so you are pretty much forced to eat here. The food is mediocre. I have been a Marriott's rewards member for a long time and this is one of the worst I have stayed in. The one positive was the price was decent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dino D, General Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Good Afternoon!

I am sorry that your stay was less than perfect. I will discuss your concerns with our Food and Beverage manager so we can learn from your experience and provide better service to our customers. I will also involve our Executive Chef on how we can improve the quality of food. Please email me on your next stay so I can personalize your visit.

Regards,

Dino DiMattia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Just got home from a two night stay and it was by far our worst hotel experience ever, and we are pretty easy going in general. We arrived to find the hotel unexpectedly under renovations. Really, that was not a big deal. Room and bathroom much smaller than other Marriotts, but again, not a huge deal. (And the beds are tiny! Usually when you get 2 double beds they are queens, these I guess were full but did not even seem that big....it was actually a topic of conversation with other guests). Because of bed size we called for roll away instead of 2 people cramming in one and were told NO, those are only for guests in king size rooms. Move on to trying to get to sleep. Room is HOT showing room temperature of 74 degrees so we turn thermostat down, and down again...all the way to 65...on waking after tossing, turning (repeatedly checking thermostat) and sweating all night room temp-78. I figure our A/C is broken but in talking to other guests in hall....everyone is MISERABLY HOT. MANY of us went to complain and were told by staff and manager that the A/C was OFF for the season and..sorry, maybe it would be cooler night 2 since it wasn't as sunny! We were offered a TINY little desk sized fan for relief! Basically "too bad". We are paying to stay here and they can not offer climate control? How about you flick the A/C back on..or inform your guests that they will be sleeping in a sauna! Next night, hot as the night before we ended up having to sleep with our slider open (even though we were on ground floor and it exposed us to parking lot). Woke up this morning hot and miserable. Spent the night kicking off sheets and flipping pillow trying to cool off...as did many, others. So much for a weekend away! As we left there was a woman demanding (and not getting) a refund for her miserably hot stay. This type of service is unacceptable. We were hot, and uncomfortable any time we were in the room and basically had to give up the security of locking our ground level exterior door just to get some air. There are MANY hotels in this area, steer clear of here. Guest comfort is not a priority.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DHH1218
Good Afternoon!

I am very sorry that our hotel failed in providing you with a relaxing and comfortable stay. This past weekend we encountered a much warmer weather than anticipated. In addition, our HVAC system failed over the weekend and we had this repaired as fast as we possibly could. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience that this may of caused you. Please email me directly at GM971@Columbiasussex.com that next time you are coming into the area so I can personalize your stay!

Regards,

Naples, Florida
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I am a Marriotts rewards member for many decades and have stayed in them all over the world. I have never had a bad experience until now. I was so disappointed in our stay here. The decor in the whole hotel and rooms are vintage 70's. The lobby had major renovations in it which wasn't called out in the site. However, now I will check trip advisor as it was listed there. The vent in the bathroom was super loud and would not shut off making it hard to sleep. The service also was bad, we were at first offered a room that we would have to go outside to reach due to the construction due to the rain. When we pushed back we got a room where we could stay inside. Definitely not at the standard of even a Residence Inn let alone a Marriott Hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Laurie V
Dino D, General Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Good Morning!

Thank you for your honest feedback. I am sorry that we failed at providing you with a comfortable nights stay. As you mentioned there is no good time to renovate and I hope you can give us a second try. Please email me directly the next time you are coming into town and I will personalize your stay in our newly renovated hotel. We will be finished at the end of this month.

Rochester, New York
Reviewed 8 October 2013

overall this is a fine place to stay. rooms are well-outfitted, clean and relatively well-maintained. beds are comfortable. restaurant staff are not the most attentive and you may have to hunt down your waiter/waitress for refills and condiments.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Good Morning!

Thank you for your recommendation and your honest feedback regarding our wait staff. I will be sure to share this with my Food and Beverage Manager so he can utilize your comments during his daily training models. I would appreciate knowing if it was the AM staff or PM staff so we can direct our training to the correct group of individuals. My email is GM971@columbiasussex.com

West Caldwell, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 September 2013

So my wife and I went to Avon Ct to see some friends and needed a place to stay the night and after searching for hotels,hence all in Hartford :(,I found this one nearby.One Word....EXCELLENT!!!best courtyard yet! clean,clean,clean!!! KUDOS to the staff!!! will def stay there again!!**********

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 September 2013

First, I have to say that every single staff member we encountered was friendly & professional. This hotel is undergoing major renovations, so perhaps things will improve. Was given a room near construction area on 1st floor. Smelled very musty. Less than average room. The rest of our soccer team stayed at the nearby Marriott Courtyard & loved it, as well as it being near much better shopping & eating, so I would recommend staying there instead.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dino D, General Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Good Afternoon!

Thank you for the comments regarding our staff! I always say how grateful I am to have such a wonderful team! I am sorry that your stay was less than perfect. Our renovations will be completed next month and we certainly hope you will return to our full service hotel. Our location is just minutes away from the mall and we encourage your guests to take advantage of our two swimming pools, Starbucks, restaurant and sushi bar {all have been renovated} in addition to the lobby. Once again, thank you for staying with us!

Belgium
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip. Staff was friendly and welcoming, and with renovation works in the lobby and bar they were very concerned about your safety. I think I got a former smoking room when smoking was still allowed, I didn't like the "old" cigarette smell in the room. The property is a bit impersonal but OK for a business stay. Tip: put some more tables, chairs and sitting benches outside. As a business traveller sitting in meetings all day, it would be nice to escape from the noisy bar and to relax outside in peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that never was a room for smokers