“Lovely Staff, Great Lobby, But Tired Rooms and Annoying Pricing”

Hartford Marriott Farmington
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My company put me and my whole crew at this hotel for our big sales meeting. While the staff was great and did everything they could to help, the limitations of the physical infrastructure really minimized our satisfaction with this hotel.

I am guessing, but I think this hotel is 30+ years old, and the layout shows it. The hotel is structured with different wings — A through E, I believe — and none are over three stories. (This might be a compromise based on local zoning of some sort.) There is a canopy over the hotel entrance that is so low and gloomy you feel like you're driving into the Lincoln Tunnel. Or the Bat Cave. Either way, it's creepy.

Another effect of the low building design is that everything is far away; lots of long walks to different wings and parts of the hotel. It's not convenient at all, especially when you have a gimpy leg like I do. In addition, the low ceilings in the bedrooms and the hallways re-emphasize the subterranean feel of the hotel.

Once you're into the lobby, it is quite nice; it has just been revamped. Check-in is fast; the counter staff is very polite. However, several times I arrived at the front door to deliver more guests I had picked up from train stations and airport, and never once — not once! — did a bellman come out to help without requesting it. In one particular case, two bellmen were leaning on their podium watching me unload suitcases. For a full-service Marriott, that's not right.

There's no free coffee in the hotel (there's an under-powered coffee maker in each room) but there's a Starbucks in the lobby, so they ding you $5 for your morning java. I enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant; the hostess was charming and the staff professional, but there's another $20. Oh well, life as a road warrior.

The newly renovated lobby-lounge offers a nice bar, extensive seating and a friendly staff. But the staff claims that Marriott Corporate doesn't permit peanuts or snacks at the bar for reasons of health (???) — but they're happy to sell you hot snacks for $15. Ding! Ding, again! We just left and went to a more accommodating pub, down the street.

The meeting rooms are very, very average. The A/V equipment worked pretty well, and service during the snack breaks and the lunches were very good. However, do not accept a meeting room down "by the swimming pool" — it's another hall of basement dungeons, far from the lobby and served by the world's slowest elevators (Otis should be embarrassed at themselves!). Those meeting rooms are adjacent to guest rooms, which I think is a noise and security issue.

In terms of sleeping arrangements, it's a Marriott, and everything is pretty much what you would expect. Nice bed, great pillows, a workable desk, etc. However, the ceilings are creepy-low and claustrophobic. Also, there was no mini-bar so I had to borrow a portable refrigerator from the hotel which turned out to be unusable. [ Note: I had requested a handicapped-accessible room; maybe the standard rooms have mini-bars; you should check.]

Also, several of the power outlets did not work, which made it hard to re-charge batteries. The WIFI was slow, buggy and expensive. Lastly, the television: why can't it simply boot up on the channel that I was last watching? Do I really need to see the "Welcome to Marriott" and be sold pay-per-view movies (ding, ding the cash register again) every single time I was to check the weather forecast?

(Which brings up another point — when are hotels going to realize that WIFI today is an absolutely essential part of doing business? Slow, erratic WIFI isn't just inconvenient; it means I can't do my job. Plus, charging for WIFI is like for the air in the room or the water in the toilet. I cannot think of a single policy more guaranteed to infuriate frequent travelers like myself — and I won't even pay it, because of my Marriott status. Nonetheless, you make me sign in every day, and then force me to select a payment plan (very confusing, ding, ding) and then credit it back to me on the bill. Come on, people. Just build it into the cost of the hotel room and make it fast and reliable. Really!!!)

Nothing like a good rant to brighten your day. I feel better now.

So let me wrap this up, before all my readers die of old age. This is an average Marriott, with a generally very good staff and a good public facilities, but the bedrooms and meeting rooms are border-line no longer acceptable. I agree with "MaxDogMadison" that this hotel needs a major update before it will be back to an acceptable level. I think Marriott needs to look into refreshing the entire hotel, not just the lobby.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the "A" wing -- the other wings are long, long walks away.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Ben L, Front Office Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear PilotMike2009,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor Review and sharing your experience with us, and others, regarding your stay at the Hartford Marriott Farmington. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid problems, such as the ones you mentioned, in the future.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the e-mail listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Safe Travels,

Ben Leonhardt
Front Office Manager
Hartford Marriott Farmington
Ben.Leonhardt@columbiasussex.com

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I always feel at home there; maybe because they always serve cookies at the frontdesk. I also appreciated their close proximity to the areas I love, ie: Blue Back Square, walking trails at the Hartford Reservoir, great mall, book stores.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Dino D, General Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Good Afternoon!

Thank you for the nice comments regarding our cookies. We have also have added fruit infused water that is very delicious. We look forward to having you back with us soon!

I noticed that you rated us a perfect score in service {thank you} & a four in other categories. If you wish to speak to me privately on how we could of been a perfect five please call me directly at 860-409-6603

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lovely hotel. Staff was helpful and ever present. Good food....drinks...and accommodations excellent. Would definitely stay there again. Nice pool and jacuzzi. Bar and lobby very nice!!
Good location. Near golf course. Quiet setting made room choice easy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Good Afternoon!

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding our food, staff and accomodations. We look forward to have you back with us soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

They clearly put some money into the lobby - but as soon as you step out of the lobby you get transported back in time. The location is set in a nice quiet business park with running trails and is close to many other spots. However, the rooms are dingy and tired. The balcony while lovely to have had peeling paint and dirty windows. The conference rooms (I was there for 3 days) using the rooms were also tired and dingy. In addition, they had made zero improvements for today's technical needs. No outlets for laptops or phones - and the internet. Oh the internet. So slow. The conference had paid for internet and it was ridiculous - it was like using dial up in the 90s. I didn't even bother using the internet for the rooms and used my MiFi instead. If they want this to be a place for people to go for business meetings and small conferences - something must be done. The food was decent at the bar. The staff were the best part of the hotel - friendly, helpful, and great. I would not recommend it for any meeting or stay where internet is required or desired.

Room Tip: Bring your own wifi.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Dino D, General Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Good Morning!

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding my staff. I appreciate your feedback on our conference rooms. I will be relaying your message regarding our conference rooms to our corporate office. We are scheduled to install a new internet provider in our hotel in the next 60 days. This company has been working with many of our other properties and the service is much better. We hope that you come back and try us out.

Regards,

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent service. Very attentive and accommodating. Mindful of our needs. Upbeat, smiling, positive attitude, responsive. Always look for Patrick when coming to eat. Very professional and knowledgeable about the menu. Food is good too.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and I needed a hotel for one night because of a graduation in
Hartford. The location was good, and also quiet, and our room was adequate, but had a depressing view of a balcony with badly peeling paint, and incredibly dirty windows. There is no free wireless access for the rooms, but was told it would be free if I sat in the lobby. The breakfast buffet was a madhouse with a less than satisfactory choices available. They had run out of many items, and the omelet station had no one there. A $17 charge for this buffet was overpriced, to say the least! They claim to be a resort hotel, but I can't imagine why. Paying a total of $185 (including tax) for one night, with an additional charge for breakfast was way to much for what we got in return. We would never go back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dino D, General Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Good Afternoon!

Thank you for constructive comments. It is comments like these that will assist my team provide better service for future Marriott customers and for that I am extremely grateful. I will alert my my Chief Engineer so he can conduct some preventative maintenance to the guest rooms. I will also discuss your experience with my F&B Manager so he can learn for next years graduation. We all learned that this year compared to past years was exceptionally busy. Once again, thank you and we hope that you have a fun and safe holiday weekend!

Dino

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Hotel staff extremely friendly, outgoing and helpful, especially Patrick the bartender; very conscientious and attentive to the people at the bar, serving drinks and dinner when the bar area was full. Will definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#5 of 6 in Farmington
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut

Been to Hartford Marriott Farmington? Share your experiences!