“Great experience”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Farmington
Orlando Fl
“Great experience”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Good Price, Good Location, Good Service, Clean and comfortable. Stayed here several times and always consistent. The bedding is great. Very convenient to rt 84 about 1 min off the highway. The staff went out of their way to make me feel special as a Marriott platinum level member.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Palm Harbor
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Marriott Farmington last weekend. The staff were extremely friendly and courteous. Rooms were above average but the Restaurant for dinner was simply outstanding! Kathleen, our waitress was always attentive without being annoying and friendly. The Executive Chef, Anthony Johnson, was charming and took the time to come to our table and ask about the food and service. We had 5 steak dinners and they rivaled the best steakhouses we have ever been to dine at. They were accommodating in letting us go off menu with our vegetable choice and the resulting asparagus was fresh and perfectly done. I believe the assistant chefs who Chef Johnson said prepared our dinners were Jeremy and Carmen, but I do not remember exactly. Chef Johnson would know though and they should be given high praise for preparing an outstanding dining experience for all. We ill definitely go back again when in the area. The hotel just underwent and $8 1/2 Million Dollar renovation and while a few areas still need updating, the overall experience and service are great and much improved from years past. We have been going there for the last 15 years and this was by far the best experience there..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Well, you wouldn't. It's at the end of the Otis campus and you're expecting some nasty corporationy toilet filled with goodness knows what.
In actual fact it's really nice inside. I was presenting at an event and needed to stay over. The staff were very proficient and friendly. Had a few beers after the event and whilst there was one old dodderer serving the other guy was a whirling dervish who kept everyone filled and bar clean. As a Hilton points junkie is forgotten how comfy the Marriott beds are. Argggggg.
Don't let the location out you off. If you're in Hartford CT on business this is worth a shuftie.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
saint paul
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I arrived late, late at night and was sent to the furthest and must remote corner of the hotel. Since when did "away from elevator translate to: room at the end of a scary, empty hallway that reminds one of the shining"? Unpacked everything and went to go use the restroom only realize that the toilet was backed up. At 12:15 am. Closet door was broken, room smelled old and musty..don't bother.

• Stayed June 2014
Ben L, Front Office Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Khadro74,

First let me thank you for taking your time to write a review regarding your most resent stay at the Hartford Marriott Farmington. I am extremely sorry for the above mentioned inconveniences, and can understand how these can be frustrating after a long days travel.

Your Review, as with every TripAdvisor Review, was read to all Hotel Management and I can assure you that actions will be taken to assure that future guests do not encounter similar scenarios when visiting the Hartford Marriott Farmington.

If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact me at ben.leonhardt@columbiasussex.com

We hope that you will give us the chance to make your next visit to the Hartford area a great one!

Regards,

Ben Leonhardt
Front Office Manager
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Patrick at the Bar is great. He is very thoughtful and attentive. Our Avon Soccer Club held registration at the Hotel in June and the customer service was excellent. The food we ordered at the bar was also quite good.

Room Tip: Didn't stay in a room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dino D, General Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Good Afternoon!

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding my staff especially Patrick! I am very fortunate to have such a warm and geniune staff and we all look forward to having you back soon!

Warm Regards,
Constant Traveller
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My company put me and my whole crew at this hotel for our big sales meeting. While the staff was great and did everything they could to help, the limitations of the physical infrastructure really minimized our satisfaction with this hotel.

I am guessing, but I think this hotel is 30+ years old, and the layout shows it. The hotel is structured with different wings — A through E, I believe — and none are over three stories. (This might be a compromise based on local zoning of some sort.) There is a canopy over the hotel entrance that is so low and gloomy you feel like you're driving into the Lincoln Tunnel. Or the Bat Cave. Either way, it's creepy.

Another effect of the low building design is that everything is far away; lots of long walks to different wings and parts of the hotel. It's not convenient at all, especially when you have a gimpy leg like I do. In addition, the low ceilings in the bedrooms and the hallways re-emphasize the subterranean feel of the hotel.

Once you're into the lobby, it is quite nice; it has just been revamped. Check-in is fast; the counter staff is very polite. However, several times I arrived at the front door to deliver more guests I had picked up from train stations and airport, and never once — not once! — did a bellman come out to help without requesting it. In one particular case, two bellmen were leaning on their podium watching me unload suitcases. For a full-service Marriott, that's not right.

There's no free coffee in the hotel (there's an under-powered coffee maker in each room) but there's a Starbucks in the lobby, so they ding you $5 for your morning java. I enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant; the hostess was charming and the staff professional, but there's another $20. Oh well, life as a road warrior.

The newly renovated lobby-lounge offers a nice bar, extensive seating and a friendly staff. But the staff claims that Marriott Corporate doesn't permit peanuts or snacks at the bar for reasons of health (???) — but they're happy to sell you hot snacks for $15. Ding! Ding, again! We just left and went to a more accommodating pub, down the street.

The meeting rooms are very, very average. The A/V equipment worked pretty well, and service during the snack breaks and the lunches were very good. However, do not accept a meeting room down "by the swimming pool" — it's another hall of basement dungeons, far from the lobby and served by the world's slowest elevators (Otis should be embarrassed at themselves!). Those meeting rooms are adjacent to guest rooms, which I think is a noise and security issue.

In terms of sleeping arrangements, it's a Marriott, and everything is pretty much what you would expect. Nice bed, great pillows, a workable desk, etc. However, the ceilings are creepy-low and claustrophobic. Also, there was no mini-bar so I had to borrow a portable refrigerator from the hotel which turned out to be unusable. [ Note: I had requested a handicapped-accessible room; maybe the standard rooms have mini-bars; you should check.]

Also, several of the power outlets did not work, which made it hard to re-charge batteries. The WIFI was slow, buggy and expensive. Lastly, the television: why can't it simply boot up on the channel that I was last watching? Do I really need to see the "Welcome to Marriott" and be sold pay-per-view movies (ding, ding the cash register again) every single time I was to check the weather forecast?

(Which brings up another point — when are hotels going to realize that WIFI today is an absolutely essential part of doing business? Slow, erratic WIFI isn't just inconvenient; it means I can't do my job. Plus, charging for WIFI is like for the air in the room or the water in the toilet. I cannot think of a single policy more guaranteed to infuriate frequent travelers like myself — and I won't even pay it, because of my Marriott status. Nonetheless, you make me sign in every day, and then force me to select a payment plan (very confusing, ding, ding) and then credit it back to me on the bill. Come on, people. Just build it into the cost of the hotel room and make it fast and reliable. Really!!!)

Nothing like a good rant to brighten your day. I feel better now.

So let me wrap this up, before all my readers die of old age. This is an average Marriott, with a generally very good staff and a good public facilities, but the bedrooms and meeting rooms are border-line no longer acceptable. I agree with "MaxDogMadison" that this hotel needs a major update before it will be back to an acceptable level. I think Marriott needs to look into refreshing the entire hotel, not just the lobby.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the "A" wing -- the other wings are long, long walks away.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ben L, Front Office Manager at Hartford Marriott Farmington, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear PilotMike2009,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor Review and sharing your experience with us, and others, regarding your stay at the Hartford Marriott Farmington. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid problems, such as the ones you mentioned, in the future.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the e-mail listed below. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Safe Travels,

Ben Leonhardt
Front Office Manager
Ben.Leonhardt@columbiasussex.com
Queensbury, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I always feel at home there; maybe because they always serve cookies at the frontdesk. I also appreciated their close proximity to the areas I love, ie: Blue Back Square, walking trails at the Hartford Reservoir, great mall, book stores.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Good Afternoon!

Thank you for the nice comments regarding our cookies. We have also have added fruit infused water that is very delicious. We look forward to having you back with us soon!

I noticed that you rated us a perfect score in service {thank you} & a four in other categories. If you wish to speak to me privately on how we could of been a perfect five please call me directly at 860-409-6603

Warm Regards,

Dino DiMattia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#4 of 6 in Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington

Been to Hartford Marriott Farmington? Share your experiences!