“Typical Older Marriott - Tiny Rooms”

Hartford Marriott Farmington
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Farmington
Texas
“Typical Older Marriott - Tiny Rooms”
Reviewed 27 January 2007

I stayed in the Farmington area for a month on business. I selected the Marriott because that is where everyone stays. It is a typically furnished Marriott with all of the standard ameneties that you would expect. It is an older Marriott. You can tell by the older, small bathrooms.

I didn't stay after the first week, because I could not get past the 145$ a night that I was paying for staying in a hotel room the size of a broom closet. This had to be the smallest Marriott room that I have ever stayed in (and I travel alot!). If the rooms were larger, I would not have looked elsewhere. Probably OK for a night or two but when you are on the road all the time, you need more space.

• Liked — Typical Marriott
  • Disliked — Broom Closet sized room
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank JKTexas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Herndon, Va
Reviewed 19 December 2006

Stayed for one night and was happy with the service and accomodations. My only complaint was the only mirror in the room was in the bathroom. I thought that was really odd given the reputation of the Marriott.

Breakfast was good and the staff was really friendly!

• Liked — cleanliness, staff
  • Disliked — NO large irroe in the room!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank candylkemeHerndon
Atlanta
Reviewed 15 September 2006

Having stayed in a few other Marriott properties in the Hartford area and not being impressed, I read the reviews on this site and thought I would give this property a try. Thank you reviewers for steering me in this right direction!

My room was very nice, the service was good, and everything appeared to be clean and in working order. A few small gripes - this property still charges for WiFi, and I think they are blocking cell phone access, because my Verizon Broadband, Cingular BlackBerry, and T-One Mobile phone all showed "no service." I've never had all three not work in the same hotel before. The Concierge breakfast did not have any eggs, but otherwise was pretty standard. The bathroom is also on the small side.

But compared to the other Marriotts in the area, this is the best.

• Liked — There were no surprises. It was everything you expect from a Marriott.
  • Disliked — No cell phone access.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank CJKatl
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2006

The Marriott in Farmington, CT has almost everything down pat from
service to amenities. Staff is very friendly (and well trained) and the
restaurant fare is decent. Two areas it needs work are the Gym and Tennis courts. The (new) gym is merely a new room with OLDequipment. The treadmills are at least 5 years old and offer little to no cushioning and the display is all but illegible. The tennis courts (clay) are unevenly surfaced with one of the two courts having clumps of grass. Other than that, a great hotel that is a very reasonably priced.

1 Thank Traveleasy
Tucson
Reviewed 19 July 2006

This hotel is exactly what you would expect from a Marriott meeting hotel, but it also makes a great family place, especially during the relatively quiet summer. The cafe is good though expensive, there is a Starbucks/Sushi bar in the lobby, the 2 pools are great, the exercise room is reasonable, there are laundry facilities, and the rooms are standard Marriott quality, most with large balconies. All of this is located in a tree-covered office park a half mile from the I-84 freeway, close to downtown Hartford, and over a hill from Farmington. Service is quick and efficient. There is plenty of free parking. My only complaint is the selection of beer in the bar: Budweiser products only!

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank rbbrown
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 May 2006

Well, I too lived through the construction. As I was working in the area for 12 weeks I stayed at this hotel many, many nights between Thanksgiving 2005 and Feb 2006. Lest I say I stayed in each wing and did the treck to the conceirge lounge. I did get lost a couple of times (you would think I would have learned....)

The construction wasn't the most problematic item I have to report.

The worst of the worst was when in the newly remodled room in the concierge level I heard CLEARLY the TV in the room next door. Thinking I could get a good night sleep anyway, I turned off my lights and attempted to sleep. It was then that I noticed light coming into my room from the room next door. I kid you not. The ceiling was not firmly attached to the walls and every single solitary sound that was occurring in the room next door was immediately heard in my room.

There were others on my project who also complained about the sound. They even had to change rooms to get a good night sleep. This is not an isolated incident. The front desk clerk told me they were aware of the situation and had received many complaints on the same topic before... Hmmmm. Think they might look into fixing it?

When I called the front desk to ask them to call the room next door and ask that he/she turn down the TV, I heard the entire conversation on the phone. The rooms appear to be nicely refurbished, but do not --- at any point expect a good night sleep in the conceirge level / concierge wing. The construction of the rooms are intolerable.

As I stated, I did stay in each wing (or at least I think I did) and the other rooms -- are better insulated -- while less stylish -- but certainly more conducive to sleep -- which is the point of it all, isn't it?

The gym is a complete afterthought. It may as well be in a closet as to where it is. The towels are infrequently replaced, the water is empty or if the water isn't empty, there are no cups. The TV reception is also hampered by the fact that the gym is in the basement and the reception stinks.

The staff at the hotel also didn't know the marriott reward program very well. When I reserved a King non smoking and then received a double non smoking I requested my $100 prior to checking out. The front desk person told me he was sorry, but could he give me 1,000 points to satiate me? NO. I needed the cash as promised by the policy. When I told the front desk person to read the policy and then find me in the restaurant he did in fact bring me my $100. Cool. Not a bad deal.

Stay out of the concerge wing -- make the treck for the food from another wing.

• Stayed January 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank gidget265
Ithaca
Reviewed 5 March 2006

I expected less of a hike to the concierge lounge , I couldn't believe I had to go down , around, and up to building E . This hotel is divided into building segments so if you are not staying in a building section that has the pool you have a long way to get there also. The layout of the hotel made it very inconvenient to get to my car when the hallways were blocked off for renovation.
The lobby bar was nice and the easy on easy off exit from Intersate 84 was a plus but the front desk staff was not overly helpful.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#4 of 7 in Farmington
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut

Been to Hartford Marriott Farmington? Share your experiences!