“Wonderful surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 90 Restaurants in Glastonbury
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Our creative menu is sure to excite your palate. We pride ourselves on our seasonally changing menu selections we refer to as “Kooky Konkoctions”, or, of course you can always create your own. We cater all types of occasions from elaborate full service special events, weddings, parties, corporate meetings, private dinner, backyard picnics to simple delivery drop-offs and everything in between.The Spicy Green Bean, more than anything else, is about great taste and quality food. Variety comes in a close second. You'll be able to return again and again and have something great and different, every time.Our bakery selections are baked fresh daily so each day the selections vary - Stop in and see what we have or call in advance to place a special order. Each day we usually have a varied selection of fresh baked cookies, cupcakes, brownies, bars, cakes, and homemade ice creams!!
Massachusetts
“Wonderful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

The Spicy Green Bean is nothing to look at but the food is something to behold. We were between soccer games, in from out of town for a tournament, trying to avoid the "Subway" syndrome. My wife is always looking for that off the beaten path establishment and hit a home run this time. I had the home made roast beef sandwich on a soft pretzel roll (make your own sandwich menu) and was not disappointed. My wife had the veggie burger and loved it (and she is not one to eat veggie burgers by any means!), my son had a breakfast plate with absolutely the best home fries I have ever eaten... I brought the left overs home and had them today at lunch! The ham was wonderful, sliced thin, fried and salty (just enough). My father in law had the pressed Cuban and loved it. If the Spicy Green Bean was close by I'd have to believe it would be on my top 5 list of regular eats. The saddest thing about the visit was knowing that it would likely be a year before returning!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Hi John
Thank you sooo much for the FANTASTIC review we really appreciate it... its guests like you that make it all worth it!! Thank you so much again...Kath

Enfield, Connecticut
“Unique menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

First time visiting, for lunch. Small restaurant, lots of bustle. Very impressive selection of menu items, lots of creative dishes. Wonderful selection of soups and chowders. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed our delicious selections. Due to allergy, I asked for no mushrooms on the salad, but I got it instead in my chowder. Not cool, but not sure who made the mistake. Will definitely visit again.

Visited October 2013
spicygreenbean, Owner at The Spicy Green Bean, responded to this review, 13 October 2013
Hi Ken,
Thank you for the review I am sorry about the mushroom mix up!! We don't put shrooms on our salads so thats weird sorry again I will definitely make sure the kitchen pays more attention to special requests ..hope to see you again soon so we shoot for a five star review from you!!!!!

Thank you...Kath
Rhode Island
“Interesting Meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I had heard so much about this place I had to try it. I ordered a brunch special which was a Southern Specialty. It included several delicious grilled shrimp but the grits and other items on the plate were not well prepared. I was very disappointed. However, to be fair, I had just come from the South and had many local dishes. Maybe I was spoiled. However, I ate little.

The service was friendly. However, we received our mimosas towards the end of our meals which was bizarre. We had asked for them early on but they never came until near the end.

I learned a lesson. If you want Southern food, don't order it in Glastonbury.

• Visited September 2013
Hi Keesar,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us we really appreciate it!! Sorry the mimosas took so long to get I will address that right away and we hope to see you soonso we can get a five star review!!!..Kath
“Fun place, great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

I really loved the food! It was such a great selection and it reminded me of home cooked food with a nice flare. The resturant is small and can be a bit loud but still enjoyable. I thought the service was really good, and I was pleased that they were able to accommodated my two year old daughter with a wonderful kids menu. It was just perfect for younger taste buds, and nice small portions. I would with out a doubt go back there. Perfect for a lunch date!The only thing I would change is the parking get there before the rush or you won't be able to park near the resturant. Keep up the good work Bean!!

• Visited October 2013
Hi Melissa,
I thought I responded to you so sorry if this gets sent twice but THANK YOU SOOO much for the praise we really appreciate it!!! Hope to see you soon...Kath
Central Village, Connecticut
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Service was ridiculously slow, even though restaurant was only half filled. Took over 2 hours to get our simple entrees! Another group who arrived some time before us only got served about the time we got our entrees, so their wait was even longer than ours.

Waiter didn't have a clue about the menu - said the soup of the day was Borscht, when the board on the back wall (which we didn't see initially) said Corn Chowder. When asked about the chowder, he said "of course we have it".

Food was mediocre at best. Steak was smothered in cheese, onions, and a thick gravy, all sitting on top of soggy french fries. Had to peel away layers of goop to find the meat, which was fatty (couldn't see the fat for all the coverings, had to taste to find it).

The menu looks good for sandwiches and salads, which we didn't try, but the service was so poor we'd never go there again.

BTW - its a BYOB location - bring lots of wine, you're going to be there awhile!

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hi Fusion Pilot,
Thank you for your review thats how we learn sorry you did not have a pleasant time hopefully you will give us another chance to WOW you!!! Thanks again...Kath