“Go for the atmosphere not the food.”

J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
J. Gilbert's Wood-Fired Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 88 Restaurants in Glastonbury
Price range: US$31 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main
Description: J. Gilbert's is an "upscale casual" steakhouse serving prime-aged beef cooked over a mesquite wood-fired grill. Guests enjoy various cuts of steak, fresh seafood (including award-winning crab cakes) & other house made favorites like the Maytag Blue potato chips & chocolate velvet cake. The cozy atmosphere includes fire side dining, rich wood, brick & soft lighting where you can enjoy dinner for two or host a large party. The extensive martini & wine list offers the perfect compliment to an excellent meal delivered with attentive service. J. Gilbert's is open for dinner seven days a week, beginning at 4pm. Reservations are highly recommended.
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

After reading all of the reviews I just had to try this place. I love a good steak. I was disappointed. The quality of the meat was good but it was so wood fired tasting I could barely taste the meat. Surely not worth the extraordinary prices they charge. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and is very romantic. The service is commendable.

1  Thank Alison B

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We dine here often and this time I tried the tuna. It was not Ahi quality but is was okay. The roasted Brussels sprouts were under seasoned. My wife said her lamb chops were excellent. The wedge salad is done very well. Prices are lower than Fleming's for both food and wine by the glass and parking is free.

1  Thank BillL64
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I am never disappointed with the crab cakes at J. Gilberts. They are always made with large pieces of crab meat and minimal filler. The remoulade sauce served with them is also very good.

Also, their lobster mac and cheese is a very nice portion for the $3 extra charge on the sides choices. It is a generous portion and delicious.

Another winner choice is their filet mignon -- always tasty and tender.

It is rare to find a restaurant that always delivers. I know that I'm not the only one to think this way because J. Gilberts always has a large crowd no matter what time or what day.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was my first time visiting this establishment. We arrived at around 5:30pm without reservations, I would suggest having reservations, in advance, on a Saturday night, and being such a busy place with great food. Obviously they were booked , with no tables available. So we went to the bar, where we were served drinks immediately, and offered menus. We also were served fresh baked bread while waiting for our meals. My husband ordered the swordfish and I ordered Twin Medallions of beef, both were on the special of the night menu. The meals were excellent, sooo tasty! And prepared accordingly. The service was great at the bar and professional. If in the area again we will be back.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Went to Gilbert’s with my family to celebrate my son’s birthday. I have been to this restaurant once before and had a good, not great, meal here a few years ago. It was a work get together and I didn’t pay the bill, so I didn’t expect what was coming.

Wine by the bottle here is an inexcusable price; three, and with some brands, more than four times the liquor store prices. (Most restaurants double the store price.) The mixed drinks were double the price for similar drinks in area restaurants where you receive alcohol in them.
The bread for the table came first and was a sourdough served with butter. We had a party of seven and the waitress never offered to bring more when the bread disappeared in minutes.

For appetizers, we had the calamari with hot peppers and an order of onion rings. We were brought a stack of SIX onion rings for a party of SEVEN. How much do onions cost?!? Couldn’t put one more ring in the fryer? The calamari was tender, in half the portion of most restaurants, and the onion rings tasted average.

Some of us had salads. They were good and tasted fresh but were underdressed with a skimpy amount, but nice, house dressing.

The noise level here was very high. I had to have the waitress repeat what she said a few times. Mostly due to a party of 12 in the opposite corner that had no common sense and even yelled over each other to be heard at the same table. One woman from this party was standing near our table and yelled for someone in her party to through her purse to her as she was on her way to the restroom. Behavior you would expect in an all-night diner at 3 AM and the staff did nothing to quiet them.
After numerous clues about my son’s birthday, not even a small piece of cake to recognize the birthday boy. Even a chain restaurant would have done something appreciative. Other reviews here for Gilbert’s say the same thing about how inferior they are for birthday acknowledgement.
We were asked if anyone wanted dessert and we replied we have a birthday cake at home. The waitress asked what kind. Why?

ALERT: This is one of the restaurants I have been to that add their own gratuity of 18% for parties over 6. How can a company decide how much a customer wants to tip for their average service and average food? Check your bill before you pay. This practice falsely inflates the menu prices by this practice. Automatic tip charging should be made illegal in any state to protect the unaware consumer. I don’t mind paying exorbitant prices if I get exceptional food and service in a romantic setting. None of these things were exhibited at Gilbert’s.
The prices were exceptionally high for the portions of food we were served, the services rendered, the drinks, and the shop worn decor. We left hungry because the food servings are so small.

I observed no effort made by the restaurant to try and win us as faithful customers. We won’t be back and will tell our experiences to anyone that will listen, which leaves out the staff at Gilbert’s.

3  Thank SouthingtonG