“AJ's Steak & Pizza”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Canaan
“AJ's Steak & Pizza”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

AJ's is a great place! Great food and a fun atmosphere. Menu has many choices and daily specials are terrific.

Visited March 2013

New Hartford, Connecticut
“good Bison burgers”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Stopped in for lunch today. Son and I had a local craft beer, the ladies had wine. They brought over a dish of peanuts and said just throw the shells on the floor. We all had bison burgers with cheese and onions, (I also had mushrooms). They were moist and very good. They have a full bar, Aj's is in a basement- with the door behind the building, nothing to look at but good food. Looks like a local's hangout- but they know where the good food is. Our 2nd time there and will go back. They had a very large menu so something for everyone. NOTE they take $$Cash only.

• Visited December 2012
Venice, Italy
“"Cheers" - It's AJ's in Goshen”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I stopped by AJ's Steak & Pizza with family members for a casual dinner last night. I hadn't been to AJ's for several years, however I recalled that AJ's was a casual, happy place where you could toss your peanut shells on the floor while tossing back a few cold beers. AJ's has since been renovated with lots of solid pine wood tables and a warmer atmosphere than from what I recall. I was pleased to learn that you can still throw your shells on the floor. I like restaurants and dives where you have to go downstairs into the dining/bar area. It somewhat reminds me of walking into a speak-easy from the prohibition era.

AJ's remains very busy with primarily local customers, many who are obviously regulars as everyone seems to know someone else dining or having a few drinks there. It reminds me of the atmosphere found the old television program, "Cheers." AJ's is very noisy, mostly because people are enjoying themselves. Several flat screen televisions located around the room add to the noise. As the evening progressed, there was a line of customers on the stairs, waiting for open tables. We engaged in conversation with friendly people sitting at tables on either side of our table. I enjoyed myself, as did my family.

Paper place mats featuring advertising of other businesses located in the metropolis of Goshen and paper napkins were utilized in service. Our waitress was very friendly, though a little over-tasked serving several tables. AJ's has an extensive menu that offers a mix of family style restaurant food and pizza's. I ordered a small, 12" AJ's specialty pizza (sausage, onions, peppers, pepperoni, olives and mushrooms) for $12.99. The actual size of the pizza was more like 15", way too much for one person to devour alone in one sitting. AJ's was generous with the cheese and toppings, however, I found the crust to be too thick and difficult to cut through. Another guest ordered the Chef's Salad, which was served in gigantic stainless steel mixing bowl with a set of tongs for serving. It too was too much food for one person to finish. Another guest enjoyed her Coconut Shrimp.

The special for this Thursday evening was Prime Ribs served with smashed potatoes for a reasonable price of $10.00! From what I could see on other tables, all portions were very generous, no matter what you ordered. While the food quality is average, I recommend AJ's if your looking for a good time in a relaxing, yet noisy, restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Mirto56
Goshen, Connecticut
“Wonderful pizza”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

AJ"s is a town favorite with great pizza, ribeye steaks and their fabulous bison burgers. We visit AJ's several times a month.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Sweetsherrilou
Litchfield, Connecticut
“Fried food”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

If you like fried food this is the joint for you. The bar noise was loud, service lousy and folks in the bar kept knocking into my chair and totally disrupted our meal. One bar patron actually leaned on me, with a drink in hand.
Won't be going back.